Menu

July Healthy Eating

Selkie

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli with ayocote morado beans, mango, nectarine, plum, banana, apple, pear, blueberries, kiwi, mulberries, cantaloupe, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with turnip greens, steamed tofu, black quinoa, edamame, radishes, grape tomatoes, cucumber, scallions, zucchini, carrots, mini peppers, sesame peanut dressing. A G-BOMBS bar.

Dinner - I made soup in the crockpot - started with Bob’s Red Mill Vegi Soup Mix (green and yellow split peas, lentils, barley) and added onions, garlic, celery, carrots, green beans, corn, green peas, potatoes, spices, cashew cream. Also made quinoa flatbreads.

• Like 2

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli with vaquero beans, mango, banana, blueberries, nectarine, plum, guava, kiwi, apple, pear, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Wrap with Japanese 7 spice hummus, edamame, cucumber, grape tomatoes, radishes, zucchini, scallions, mushrooms, red cabbage, arugula, sesame peanut dressing.

Dinner - Leftover split pea/lentil/barley/veggie soup and quinoa flatbreads.

• Like 3

Wednesday 

breakfast - skipped

Early lunch- huge salad with mixed greens, cucumber, green pepper, tomato, red onion, my first homegrown microgreens from the suggestion here:) garbanzos and feta, olive oil and red wine vinegar 

mid afternoon- cashews and a peach, dark chocolate 

dinner- sprouted cracker with avocado and tomato, peach. 

• Like 3

Thursday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli with soybeans, blueberries, banana, plum, nectarine, kiwi, apple, pear, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Wrap with Japanese seven spice hummus, black quinoa, sriracha slaw, and mixed greens.

Dinner - Steamed artichoke with shallot vinaigrette dipping sauce. Baked “egg” rolls (Monkey and Me recipe with purple and green cabbage, carrots, garlic, ginger) with spicy peanut dipping sauce.

• Like 2

Thursday-

lunch- chipotle steak salad with greens, peppers, black beans, tomato salsa, a couple tortilla chips with queso  

too many snacks all afternoon- cashews, Hershey kiss, dark chocolate 

dinner- roasted cauliflower, green beans, greens, garbanzo beans and feta, wine, dark chocolate 

• Like 3

Thursday-

breakfast - keto blueberry cinnamon nut muffin 

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese 

snack- apple with cheese. My sugars always go high(ish) after this snack. Today I actually ate more cheese and some peanut butter too and my sugars were lower. Don’t know if that’s a fluke. 

dinner- baked honey mustard chicken, roasted peppers, zucchini, broccoli, carrots, onions and cauliflower 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Toocrazy!! said:

@Jean in NewcastleThis might be too basic for you, but it had some interesting insight. 

https://drhyman.com/blog/2022/03/23/podcast-ep512/

she has a book and has been on lots of other podcasts if you’re not a fan of his. 

My holds on his books just came in for me at the library today. Good timing!  

Buried in a work deadline this week and haven't been keeping track. I have lost a fair amount of sleep, though, which has meant an extra meal most days to keep me going. Thankfully last night I slept plenty and am not planning on any more late nights. I'll just pick up with today.

Breakfast--eggs with a tiny dribble of salsa for flavor, and an orange

Lunch--GF bread and butter (homebaked with EarthBalance butter), 2 apples. Definitely no protein in that and high carb.

Snack--Dark chocolate, white tea (NS)

Dinner--Grabbed quick stuff dh and I could cook quickly. Baked sweet potato fries, pickles, brats with saurkraut, beans. I was astounded at how much I disliked the beans--I've been cooking from scratch so much and I normally would make my own baked beans, and the canned variety tasted tinny and horrid.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Toocrazy!! said:

And here’s a counterpoint in case you’re interested. I’m not verifying either account. I’m not studied enough to know, so I’m just sharing in case it can help. 

https://abbylangernutrition.com/the-glucose-goddess-review-are-her-7-hacks-legit/

Personally I do best with the advice in the book “The Personalized Diet” by Eran Segal. In a nutshell- test a billion times and see what your body reacts to.   I am not willing (anymore) to get sugars in the 300’s from eating very “healthy“ vegan meals. I still try to eat the rainbow but at least I am not in danger from hyperglycemic shock. 

• Thanks 1

Friday - 

Breakfast - A sunflower fig WellBean bar on the way to an appointment. Broccoli and daikon microgreens. Muesli with ayocote morado beans, pineapple, plum, nectarine, kiwi, guava, banana, apple, pear, blueberries, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, macadamias, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Two collard leaf wraps with hummus, sriracha, black quinoa, cucumber, scallions, and mushrooms.

Dinner - Steamed artichoke with shallot vinaigrette dipping sauce. An ear of sweet corn. Two baked egg rolls. Mexican lentils and brown rice with kale, tomatoes, sweet potato, mushrooms, avocado, scallions, cashew queso.

• Like 2

Friday

Breakfast--Banana on my way out the door for a haircut, then some gf bread and df butter and pickles when I returned. And tea (NS). Weird but easy to grab.

Lunch--Another banana before working out. Then later in the afternoon I had some gf df toast and some leftover sweet potato fries. Again the theme here is weird but easy to grab.

Dinner--Gf gnocchi with Italian sausage and sauce. Salad.

Snack--2 squares dark chocolate, snack bag of chips. We have a zillion leftover bags of chips from the weekend party with ds (got engaged). I need to put the box in ds' room so that it's not an open temptation when I have my afternoon salt cravings.

Overall way more carbs than I normally do.

• Like 2

Friday-

breakfast - keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, coconut yogurt, bone broth 

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese 

snack- apple with goat cheese, chocolate squares, mixed nuts 

dinner- chicken, baby bok choy, carrots, green beans, onions, rice vermicelli, some squid;  plant based chocolate “ice cream “

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Don’t laugh or cringe

Breakfast today:

sweet potato and kale and a small bowl of oatmeal (ns)

planning to have:

lunch- smoothie (banana ) with buckwheat flour as protein (it’s really not bad,I promise)

dinner: homemade Moe’s- beans rice lettuce tomato salsa and vegan yogurt for sour cream. 

snacks: half of an Aloha bar (those bars only have 2 or 3 grams of added sugar, protein, and lots of fiber and are organic!)

maybe some decaf black pour over coffee made with all my son’s contraptions he ordered

maybe some homemade potato chips

grapes

• Like 3

Saturday - 

Breakfast - Broccoli and daikon microgreens. Muesli with pigeon peas, blueberries, guava, banana, nectarine, plum, mango, kiwi, apple, pear, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - The last of the baked “egg” rolls.

Dinner - Tacos with corn tortillas, Mexican lentils & brown rice (with kale, mushrooms, tomatoes), guacamole, radishes, scallions, cilantro, shredded Napa cabbage. Dessert is nice cream with frozen banana, macadamias, walnut milk, and vanilla.

• Like 2

Change of plans: I decided to make chocolate cherry nice cream instead. Walnut milk, a couple dates, cocoa powder, vanilla, and frozen cherries. Oh, and I threw in a pinch of cinnamon, too. Yum!! I topped it with chopped hazelnuts.

• Like 2

I am eating a lot of homemade hummus with red pepper and celery sticks, some gf pretzels as well. I have been making meatless pasta meals full of veggies, and trying to make kale chips more often. My Verde salsa is a hit, and we have been eating that on black bean burritos. I have been trying to keep it simple, but just more veggies. A favorite has been my middle eastern style chicken on quinoa bowls with red pepper, arugula, feta cheese, hummus, and tahini. I don't have to make very much chicken. One large boneless chicken thigh shredded works for the three of us (have one adult son with us for a couple of weeks at the moment.)

• Like 4

Saturday 

Breakfast—low-sugar granola with nut milk and a banana; tea (S)

Lunch—leftover gf gnocchi with sausage 

Snack—Corn chips with salsa, banana

Dinner—bunless bison burger with onions and mushrooms; half sweet potato, roast asparagus 

I made a concerted effort towards smaller portions. I don’t eat overly large portions, but I think it will be good to experiment a little with finding genuine satiety with less.

• Like 3

Saturday-

breakfast- keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, coconut yogurt, bone broth 

lunch-  Americanized Chinese sesame chicken which was basically candied meat. NOT what I wanted but oh well. 

dinner-  bacon wrapped chicken tenders, potato wedges, green salad, corn on the cob;  frozen lemonade; later a chocolate fountain with strawberries, pineapple and marshmallows. (My great niece’s wedding). 

• Like 3

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Daikon, broccoli, and cabbage microgreens. Muesli with vaquero beans, guava, blueberries, banana, plum, nectarine, apple, pear, kiwi, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Two collard wraps with Japanese seven spice hummus, sriracha, spicy mustard, steamed tofu, cucumber, carrot, tomato, scallions.

Dinner - Repeat of last night: Corn tortillas with lentils, brown rice, kale, mushrooms, tomato, guacamole, cashew queso, scallions, cilantro, Napa cabbage. Frozen cherries.

• Like 3

Sunday

Breakfast: Baked cubed potatoes and decaf black coffee with one small spoon of maple syrup

Lunch nachos: refried beans, tortilla chips, vegan cheese, diced tomatoes, taco sauce, green onions, and small dollop of coconut yogurt

Dinner: Thai coconut soup and kale salad with cherry tomatoes and pecans

Snacks: peanuts mixed into a spoonful of peanut butter to make crunchy peanut butter and one half Aloha bar

(Probably didn’t get enough protein today)

• Like 2

Sunday

Breakfast--Dh always makes a nice breakfast on Sunday morning. Vegetable omelette, bacon, apple slices, tea (NS).

Lunch--leftover bison burger with mushrooms and onions, orange

Dinner--Mixed bag. We joined a group from church for a picnic in the park and there was hardly anything safe for me to eat. I do not expect others to accommodate my food issues, so no biggie but I was hungry. I ate some bean/veg salad and plain chips. After the gathering dispersed, dh and I grabbed shredded beef street tacos at our favorite taco place. 

Dessert (at the picnic)--Gorgeous gf almond cake sweetened with maple syrup. Drizzle of dark chocolate over top. Not exactly healthy, because it IS a sweet, but so much healthier than the cakes of my youth due to 100% almond flour + maple syrup. And honestly, it tasted luxurious. It made me really think about how a little effort can bring good food that I do not have to feel so guilty about. 

• Like 3

Saturday-  still out of town and then traveling so everything was topsy turvy. 

breakfast- a protein box with one hard boiled egg, one slice of cheese and some almonds. 

lunch- basil chicken salad, some gf tortilla chips, grapes, strawberries, pineapple 

snack in the car-  peanut m&ms. 

dinner- grilled salmon, tomatoes 

• Like 2

Wretched tummy issues all night, so food today is bland.

Breakfast—2 bananas

Lunch—Made the most perfect sick-day soup. Chicken stock, sliced ginger, onion, rice, salt, and an egg drizzle just like Chinese egg drop soup. So lovely and nourishing I could cry.

Dinner—Planning to make grilled tuna with either rice or wild rice or gf pasta. I will stick with an apple to go with it and branch out to more adventurous food tomorrow.

• Like 3

Posting late- traveling this weekend so

Saturday- breakfast - cashews

lunch and dinner were a combination of greens with chicken salad, peppers and cucumbers with ranch, cheese cubes, pretzels and potato chips 

Sunday- cashews

Lunch- chipotle salad with greens, black beans, steak, peppers, onions, tomato salsa. 

Dinner- skip 

• Like 4

Monday - 

Breakfast - A G-BOMBS bar while running errands. Daikon, cabbage, and broccoli microgreens. Muesli with adzuki beans, banana, plum, nectarine, apple, pear, blueberries, guava, kiwi, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pecans, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with mixed lettuces and greens, steamed tofu, black quinoa, sweet potato, grape tomatoes, cucumber, corn, carrot, mushrooms, WFPB 1000 island. Three mandarins.

Dinner - From a WFPB meal service: Veggie loaf (oats, chickpeas, and lots of veggies), baked beans, and potato salad. I steamed veggies to go with - corn on the cob, artichokes, broccoli, cauliflower, and mushrooms.

• Like 3

Monday 

breakfast- skip 

lunch- mixed greens, microgreens, cucumbers, red onion, feta, garbanzos, cauliflower, green beans, cashews, dark chocolate 

dinner- going to play pickleball so I had mixed berries with flax, chia, keto granola and 1/2 bagel with butter. 

• Like 4

Monday-  

lunch- scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese 

snack- apple with kite hill vegan cheese 

dinner- salmon, forbidden rice blend, salad with mixed greens, blueberries, strawberries, toasted pecans, balsamic vinaigrette, chocolate squares 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 3

This is all tentative, but today  I am going to try to make quinoa flat (thanks Selkie) bread and a new Blendtec whole food carrot juice recipe. You just throw the carrots in whole. 

Later, I am planning to try a whole food Blendtec tomato basil soup recipe which also calls for avacado. I don’t have an avacado right now. I like these recipes where you just throw the whole tomato or whole whatever in, and you end up with something delicious.

I think the flatbread would make a good pizza crust for a vegan/gluten free pizza.

What a nice combo. Tomato basil soup, quinoa flatbread, and a glass of cold carrot juice. 

I am wondering about the pulp in the carrot juice, but I will do what the recipe says and see what happens.

• Like 3

Ok, the quinoa flatbread is unbelievably good. Also, I had two leftover tomatoes from the weekend, and I just chopped the core off and put them into the blender. THAT was really good,  too. Next time I think I will try the Blendtec recipe for veggie juice. Off to get another piece of flatbread.

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Like 3

@Indigo Blue, glad you like the flatbreads! I’ve been tinkering around with adding different spices, seeds, etc. I love how easy it is to whip up a batch.

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - A G-BOMBS bar (had unexpected company this morning, so I didn’t sit down to breakfast until later than usual). Mixed microgreens. Muesli with pigeon peas, blackberries, blueberries, guava, kiwi, nectarine, plum, apple, pear, mulberries, mango, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with baby lettuce, baby kale, herbs (all freshly picked, yum) and avocado, black quinoa, leftover baked beans, kimchi, scallions, grape tomatoes, tangerine-stuffed olives, WFPB 1000 island.

Dinner - Collard wraps with bbq tofu, cashew mayo, mustard, red onions, pickles. Baked sweet potato fries. Steamed broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms.

• Like 3

Tuesday-

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens. 1/2 flaxseed muffin. Goat cheese 

snack-  nori. Apple. Cheese slices. 

dinner- chicken broiled jn a coconut milk curry marinade, sautéed green beans with shallots and toasted almonds. Almond curry sauce.  Salad (mixed greens, strawberries, blueberries, pecans, balsamic vinaigrette). A gf cracker with almond butter 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Selkie said:

@Indigo Blue, glad you like the flatbreads! I’ve been tinkering around with adding different spices, seeds, etc. I love how easy it is to whip up a batch.

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - A G-BOMBS bar (had unexpected company this morning, so I didn’t sit down to breakfast until later than usual). Mixed microgreens. Muesli with pigeon peas, blackberries, blueberries, guava, kiwi, nectarine, plum, apple, pear, mulberries, mango, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with baby lettuce, baby kale, herbs (all freshly picked, yum) and avocado, black quinoa, leftover baked beans, kimchi, scallions, grape tomatoes, tangerine-stuffed olives, WFPB 1000 island.

Dinner - Collard wraps with bbq tofu, cashew mayo, mustard, red onions, pickles. Baked sweet potato fries. Steamed broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms.

Can you share your recipe again for those of us who missed it the first time?

• Like 2

Tuesday

Breakfast - 2 bananas

Lunch - eggs flavored with a little bacon, green tea (NS)

Snack - Last slice of leftover gf cake from Sunday. I thought I was done with tummy troubles but the cake made me nauseous. I do not think the cake itself was the culprit, as I have had this recipe before. I think it's a virus that is hanging on. I had some rice crackers later as well. 

Dinner - rice noodles, apple

• Like 2

Tuesday- traveling again, so not great. And I’m wearing my glucose monitor again after a three week break, so there’s that. 

breakfast- handful cashews and a few of DH’s French fries

lunch- with some phone research I decided Panda Express had the best options Of my choices, but then when I got there they were sold out of my decisions so I had teriyaki chicken and the super greens which were broccoli kale and cabbage. Monitor said there was sugar in The teriyaki sauce 🙂 

dinner - out again. Wine, Caesar salad, steamed broccoli, and half steak split with DH 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

@Harriet Vane did you mean the recipe for the flatbread? Here it is:

https://monkeyandmekitchenadventures.com/quinoa-flatbread/

@SelkieHow long do these keep in the refrigerator? Can you freeze them?

I know they last at least a couple days - we always eat them all up by about day two or three, so I don't know how much longer they'd keep in the fridge. I haven't tried to freeze them, but they seem like they would freeze well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Today was so busy that I didn’t get my usual amount of greens and veggies, and now my body is craving them. Will get back on track tomorrow.

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli with cranberry beans, cantaloupe, banana, apple, pear, kiwi, guava, nectarine, plum, mango, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - A few pieces of bbq tofu.

Dinner - Pizza with roasted mushrooms, peppers, onions, and artichoke hearts.

• Like 1

Wednesday-

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens; 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese 

snack- nori, apple with cheese slices 

dinner- green beans with shallots and slivered almonds, chicken marinated in curry coconut almond sauce, forbidden rice blend, chocolate squares 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 1

Wednesday- 

breakfast - pretty fasted. Might have had a few nuts 

lunch- arugula, tomato, butter beans, pumpkin seeds, microgreens, Romano, balsamic, olive oil. 

dinner- decided late to play pickleball, so I had a few more nuts and played for a couple hours. Then it’s really too late to eat when I get home. I’m not hungry, but I’m not really eating much either. 

• Like 2

Wednesday

Breakfast--banana, tea (NS), oatmeal with frozen berries and walnuts and a dash of maple syrup

Lunch--gf steamed potstickers, apple

Dinner--pork tenderloin, wild rice with onions and mushrooms, asparagus. 

Snacks--Strawberries for dessert, tossed in a sprinkle of maple and cinnamon. The others at the table had angel food cake and whipped cream--I was happy to be satisfied with just the strawberries. 

• Like 3

Thursday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli with ayocote morado beans, banana, plum, kiwi, apple, pear, blueberries, mango, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - A colander of plain greens (turnip, romaine, Napa cabbage, arugula). Sprouted whole grain wrap with chickpea salad (chickpeas, scallions, pickles, garlic, paprika, dill, cashew mayo, Dijon mustard, sriracha) topped with shaved Brussels sprouts.

Dinner - Burrito bowl with brown rice, chickpeas, crumbled up veggie loaf, spinach, sweet potato, mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, carrots, scallions, cashew queso, salsa (just realized that I made guacamole but forgot to put it on the table, oops).

• Like 3

@Selkie your meals still sound so delicious! I’m amazed all the different plants you can eat in one day. 

Thursday- again, I ate ate both meals out today. It makes it hard to eat super healthy 

breakfast- Panera Greek salad with chicken and potato chips. 

lunch- grilled chicken salad with hard boiled eggs. All the regular salad toppings. 

dinner- cashews 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thursday-

breakfast-  keto blueberry 🫐 cinnamon nut granola, coconut 🥥 yogurt, bone broth 

lunch- scrambled eggs 🍳 with mushrooms 🍄 onions 🧅 and mixed 🥬 greens , 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese 🧀 

snack- apple 🍎 with 🧀 , nori 

dinner- hamburger patty, 🍅 tomatoes , salad 🥗 (mixed greens, strawberries, blueberries, pecans and balsamic vinaigrette), grilled corn 🌽 on the cob 

hard boiled eggs 🥚 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
Wanted to add pictures
  • Like 3