Menu

July Healthy Eating

Selkie

image.thumb.jpeg.adcb8eca51dd1b78374fb03696e09701.jpeg

Made two Shane and Simple snacks today. Homemade potato chips and the energy bites! So good! I may never buy store bought again! Chips have no salt or oil. They stuck to the paper the first time, so I ordered a new box of unbleached parchment paper. It’s working much better. 

Energy bites are delicious, but I will cut the sugar in half next time. They will be very low sugar that way. They came out too sweet for me, but still so good. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

image.thumb.jpeg.adcb8eca51dd1b78374fb03696e09701.jpeg

Made two Shane and Simple snacks today. Homemade potato chips and the energy bites! So good! I may never buy store bought again! Chips have no salt or oil. They stuck to the paper the first time, so I ordered a new box of unbleached parchment paper. It’s working much better. 

Energy bites are delicious, but I will cut the sugar in half next time. They will be very low sugar that way. They came out too sweet for me, but still so good. 

Wow, those look so good! I am definitely making those chips!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Selkie said:

Wow, those look so good! I am definitely making those chips!

Slice VERY thin. That’s the trick. Need a very sharp knife!

Will try sweet potatoes to see if that works. Can’t hurt to try. 

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Like 1

Dinner tonight: 

Homemade Moe’s bowls with beans, brown rice, lettuce, tomato, Fody taco sauce, Fody salsa, and topped with plain Coco June coconut yogurt as a sour cream sub. 

Earlier, tested out an energy ball and that bowl of chips for a snack. Got to make some for Dh later. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Pamela H in Texas said:

New to group. What is considered healthy?

I follow John McDougall's way of eating (whole foods, plant-based, no oil).
Basically, its lots of starch and veggies 🙂

Welcome! What Jean said - there aren't any requirements, it's whatever works for you. 

I also eat WFPB no oil.🙂

• Like 2

Friday-

breakfast- keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, coconut yogurt, bone broth 

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese 

snack- apple with cheese 

dinner- chopped sirloin steak, cottage cheese, raw cucumbers, carrot sticks and tomatoes; vanilla ice cream 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 1

My July goal is to keep doing what I've been doing...focus on nutrient density and plant diversity, stop eating before the point of fullness, and no food for at least four hours before bed.

June was a great month, nutrition-wise. We had so much delicious and healthy food. Dh and I both dropped several more pounds. I tried many interesting new recipes, and just about all of them are keepers. My new three tiered steamer got a lot of use and has quickly become my favorite kitchen appliance. I joined the Neuro Academy with Drs. Dean and Ayesha Sherzai, which is a community focused on brain health, with classes, cooking sessions, Q & A's with the doctors, etc. I love it so far. The nutrition and cooking parts are already very familiar to me (it's all WFPB), but it is a lot of fun to cook with a community of like-minded people. 

Friday - 

Breakfast - Daikon, cabbage, and broccoli microgreens. Muesli with pigeon peas, guava, plum, nectarine, banana, cantaloupe, blueberries, apple, pear, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Hummus with veggies (celery, carrots, cukes, tomatoes), tofu, kaniwa, greens (mustard, turnip, Napa cabbage), and a quinoa flatbread.

Dinner - Two sprouted whole grain wraps with bbq tempeh, vinegar slaw, arugula, pickles. Strawberries and watermelon.

• Like 1

I've been on vacation for a week. So restful and rejuvenating. Dsil has covid now, so we are all hunkering down and avoiding people and praying we don't get it. I did pretty well with vacation food (healthy meals and lots of salad/veg/fruit), though my portion sizes were larger than my usual at meals, and I had a bonafide dessert literally every day. I console myself that at least the desserts were small--one cookie or one cakeball on a stick, etc. Others had gone to a great deal of trouble to make sure I had gluten free and dairy free options, so I decided to relax and enjoy. It wasn't a binge or anything like that--just a decision to loosen up and not track anything for the duration of our time together.

We drove home yesterday, and travel food was better than usual for me. 

Breakfast--eggs, sausage, mixed fruit, coffee (S)

Lunch--Snacked on strawberries and some low-salt chips while on a long stretch of road with very few options for food. Ended up at a bbq shack in the middle of nowhere and had some glorious pork belly on a corn tortilla. Such a happy accident.

Snack--handful of choc-covered peanuts and coffee with almond milk (minimal sugar from a raspberry shot).

Dinner--half a personal pan sized gf pizza with veg, no cheese 

Today so far doing pretty well. Started by finishing the other couple slices of gf pizza from last night and had a big mug of tea with minimal sugar. I pulled chicken out of the freezer for dinner, so we're on course for a good day.

• Like 2

I got some work done in the kitchen today to prep for the coming week: Made two mason jars of salad dressing (sesame peanut and creamy Mediterranean olive), a pitcher of walnut milk, and two batches of quinoa flatbreads. I ground flax and chia and mixed them with hemp, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds, to go in our breakfast bowls (dh and I go through about one mason jar of seed mix a week). Also steamed a couple pounds of tofu to keep in the fridge (a favorite snack of dh, our kids, and our dogs). Cut up a pineapple, a watermelon, and a cantaloupe. And I made a double batch of soup that should last us a few days.

Saturday - 

Breakfast - Cabbage and broccoli microgreens. Muesli with soybeans, banana, nectarine, plum, apricot, pear, apple, guava, kiwi, cantaloupe, pineapple, blueberries, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Sprouted whole grain wrap with avocado, sriracha, pinto beans, tofu, cukes, tomato, red onions, romaine, and butter lettuce. Vinegar coleslaw. Watermelon and a G-BOMBS bar.

Dinner - Lemony thyme lentil soup (Monkey & Me recipe) with onion, celery, carrots, garlic, veg broth, tomatoes, lentils, potato, spices, lemon, kale. Quinoa flatbreads.

• Like 4

Saturday-

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese 

snack- apple with cheese 

dinner- cashew chicken (chicken, cashews, carrots, onions, bell peppers, zucchini, broccoli, Chinese pea pods, cabbage) brown rice 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Selkie said:

Breakfast - Cabbage and broccoli microgreens. Muesli with soybeans, banana, nectarine, plum, apricot, pear, apple, guava, kiwi, cantaloupe, pineapple, blueberries, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Sprouted whole grain wrap with avocado, sriracha, pinto beans, tofu, cukes, tomato, red onions, romaine, and butter lettuce. Vinegar coleslaw. Watermelon and a G-BOMBS bar.

Dinner - Lemony thyme lentil soup (Monkey & Me recipe) with onion, celery, carrots, garlic, veg broth, tomatoes, lentils, potato, spices, lemon, kale. Quinoa flatbreads.

I'm moving in with Selkie! 

I love Monkey and Me recipes.  

With moving and such, I've been focusing on potatoes, usually with roast veggies and a tofu sauce I make up as I go. Sometimes I do it as a hot dog (ketchup, mustard, and relish).  I love potatoes with broccoli! Sometimes its just "cheese" sauce (made from oatmeal) and salsa.  

Then supper last night was just thrown together: yellow peppers, onion, zucchini, mushrooms, rice noodles, tofu, broth and aminos.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pamela H in Texas said:

I'm moving in with Selkie! 

I love Monkey and Me recipes.  

With moving and such, I've been focusing on potatoes, usually with roast veggies and a tofu sauce I make up as I go. Sometimes I do it as a hot dog (ketchup, mustard, and relish).  I love potatoes with broccoli! Sometimes its just "cheese" sauce (made from oatmeal) and salsa.  

Then supper last night was just thrown together: yellow peppers, onion, zucchini, mushrooms, rice noodles, tofu, broth and aminos.

How do you make your cheese sauce with oatmeal? I would love to try that!

• Like 1

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli with cranberry beans, banana, plum, apricot, nectarine, kiwi, guava, blueberries, blackberries, apple, pear, cantaloupe, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, macadamia nuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad using up lots of odds and ends from the fridge. Mixed greens, bbq tempeh, cukes, celery, carrots, tomato, red onions, avocado, creamy Mediterranean olive dressing.

Dinner - Leftover lemony thyme lentil soup. Quinoa flatbreads with WFPB cream cheese, red onion, tomato, freshly picked lettuce, basil, and dill. Blackberries and strawberries.

• Like 4

Sunday-

snack- apple with cheese 

dinner- leftover cashew chicken (chicken, cashews, carrots, onions, mushrooms, bell peppers, zucchini, Chinese pea pods), chocolate squares. 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 3

Breakfast--low-sugar granola with cashew milk

Lunch--Dd gave dh a high-quality salami, so I had a few chunks with rice crackers and also ate a peach. I am trying to move away from preserved meats or commercially produced lunch meat, so I will leave this to dh in future.

Snack--A gf/df brownie and handful of chips. This was leftover from vacation. They're gone now, so back to plain 90% dark chocolate from here on out.

Dinner--Yesterday we did not get around to baking the chicken and had black bean soup instead. Served with simple johnnycakes (basically cornmeal mush sauteed on a griddle like pancakes). Healthy and delicious. Today dh grilled the chicken as well as a strip steak. We are trying to eat smaller portions of meat and concentrate on sides, and it worked beautifully tonight. Splitting the steak in half gave each of us a very small portionand we focused on the sides--marinated grilled mushroom, some tiny potatoes tossed with chives and olive oil, and strawberries. We each ate a chicken wing but are mostly saving the grilled chicken for other meals this week.

• Like 3

July hasn’t started out too healthy. We’ve been traveling, and stayed with friends, so being a good guest😀 I ate mostly what was served, which was delicious! 

Friday- tried to fast, but ended up with enough cheezits while I was driving to start the blood sugar rise. 
lunch- turkey and ham sandwiches with lettuce and tomato, tortilla chips 

dinner- pork tenderloin, tomato, cucumber, feta on greens, corn on the cobb, strawberry pie

Saturday- 

breakfast- tomato basil quiche with berries 

lunch- I deconstructed my sandwich today into a chef salad:) no bread 

dinner- lasagna and big green salad, strawberry pie 

Sunday- skipped breakfast 

lunch- cheese, chips and salsa, refried beans, fajita steak and some veggies. 

dinner- delicious romaine salad with yuca and capers and feta, a potsticker and a wing. These would have been terrible for me, but luckily they were too salty to eat:) (this was at a restaurant) 

• Like 2

OK, Monday:

• Oatmeal (love oatmeal, usually with mixed berries)
  • Potato with tofu sauce and hot sauce
  • "hamburger" salad (was supposed to be a lettuce wrap but I made a mess so just chopped it all up): potato, tofu, tomato, lettuce, buffalo mustard
  • Supper will be roast veggies (zucchini, yellow squash, broccoli, peppers, onions) with finely chopped frozen fruit (blueberry, strawberry, banana).  I thought about throwing it off in the blender with some milk to make a nice cream or shake.  Depends on what the little kids want to do 🙂
Edited by Pamela H in Texas
forgot a very important vegetable
  • Like 3

Monday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli with pigeon peas, mango, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, guava, banana, nectarine, plum, apple, pear, apricot, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Sprouted whole grain wrap with hummus, edamame, red onions, tomato, cukes, carrots, romaine, butter lettuce, mustard greens, sesame peanut dressing.

Dinner - Sushi (nori, tofu, brown rice, avocado, cukes, carrot, scallions, panko, sesame seeds, mixed greens).

Dessert - Vanilla macadamia nice cream (frozen bananas, macadamias, walnut milk, vanilla). Yum!

• Like 1

Monday-

Started reading “The Personalized Diet” by Eran Segal and Eran Elinav.

snack- apple with peanut butter 

dinner- a black bean soup that became more like a stew or chili. I scorched it a bit but dh said that it was like adding liquid smoke. (Black beans, bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, broccoli, zucchini, carrots, Chinese pea pods, cabbage, tomato concentrate, spices)

hard boiled eggs 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
Typo
  • Like 2

Wow, this traveL has been hard. 

Monday- some chia açaí bar I found in the gift shop, romaine salad with chicken for lunch, a sesame ginger Cole slaw and garbanzo bean salad with sun dried tomatoes and caramelized onions for dinner 

Tuesday- too many tortilla chips throughout the day while driving. 
lunch- spinach and beet salad, half ham sandwich, some almond flour vegan “cheese” crackers that were pretty yummy.

All in all, I definitely made different choices than I would have before. Hopefully they were healthier in some manner. 

• Like 2

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - Broccoli and cabbage micro greens. Muesli with soybeans, blueberries, mango, guava, banana, plum, nectarine, kiwi, apple, pear, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Sprouted whole grain wrap with hummus, sriracha, Everything Bagel seasoning, edamame, carrots, tomato, red onion, mushrooms, mixed greens, sesame peanut dressing. A few tangerine-stuffed olives.

Dinner - Leftover veggie/tofu sushi.

• Like 2

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - Daikon and broccoli microgreens. Muesli with ayocote morado beans, cherries, banana, blueberries, guava, nectarine, apricot, kiwi, apple, pear, plum, pluot, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pecans, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Sprouted whole grain wrap with edamame, beets, red onions, tomato, mushrooms, arugula, creamy Mediterranean olive dressing.

Dinner - Veggie burger - I found a new kind of WFPB burger made from lentils and veggies. The brand is No Bull: The True Veggieburger, and we had the spicy Italian flavor. Really good! I had one of those with cashew mayo, pickles, red onion, tomato, and mixed greens. Also had an ear of corn, and steamed asparagus, mushrooms, and broccoli.

• Like 2

Wednesday -

breakfast- keto blueberry coconut nut granola, coconut yogurt, bone broth

lunch - scrambled eggs with onions, mixed greens; 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese

snack - mixed nuts, two squares of dark chocolate with raspberries

dinner - leftover black bean veggie soup (black beans, broccoli, zucchini, kale, onion, Chinese pea pods, carrots), flaxseed brownie bite

hard boiled eggs

• Like 2

Definitely drifting a bit post-vacation. Eating healthy but just not tracking or posting.

Today:

Breakfast--Tiny bowl of low-sugar granola before class, and then after class I had a gluten-free roll with dairy-free butter, and then also a peach. I baked the rolls last night to go with portabella sandwiches (YUM!), and this recipe is a winner. It feels and tastes like "real" bread to me. I have learned that I can eat just a smidge of granola to get going--often a bigger bowl of cereal ends up feeling overwhelming. Green tea (NS).

Lunch--Leftover roast chicken and another peach.

Snack--Dark chocolate. Probably tea a little later.

Dinner--Guacamole and seasoned ground beef street tacos, also some raw red and orange pepper sticks.

• Like 3

Breakfast- skipped. 

pre walk- a handful of almonds 

lunch- chipotle salad. Steak, greens, tomato salsa, peppers, onions, black beans.

dinner- my berry mix with chia, oats, hemp, flax, keto granola (pecans, coconut, pumpkin seeds) 

post pickleball- glass of wine.

• Like 3

Thursday -

lunch- scrambled eggs with onion, riced sweet potatoes and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese 

snack- mixed nuts, cheese, cherries 

dinner-  creamy chicken (chicken, onions, sun ripened dried tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms), forbidden rice 

hatd boiled eggs 

• Like 3

Thursday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli with cranberry beans, figs, mulberries, guava, banana, cantaloupe, plum, nectarine, apple, pear, blueberries, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - A leftover lentil/brown rice/veggie burger from last night with hummus, red onion, pickles, tomato, arugula. Two mandarins and a G-BOMBS bar.

Dinner - Butternut & mushroom ravioli with marinara, steamed veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms) and blistered shishito peppers.

• Like 3

Friday - 

Breakfast - A sunflower fig WellBean bar while running errands. Mixed microgreens. Muesli with ayocote morado beans, cantaloupe, plum, pluot, banana, guava, kiwi, cherries, blueberries, apple, pear, mulberries, walnuts, macadamias, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Falafel, tomato slices, red onion, and beets on a bed of arugula with creamy Mediterranean olive dressing.

Dinner - Artichoke with sesame peanut dipping sauce. Cajun mac & "cheese", a Monkey and Me recipe recipe with chickpea pasta and sauce made from pureed cauliflower and potatoes. I threw in random veggies from the fridge - broccoli, cauliflower, and mushrooms. I'm not usually a pasta fan, but thought it was good, and dh loved it.

• Like 3

Friday-

breakfast- skipped

lunch- sprouted cracker with avocado and sliced tomato, sautéed squash and zucchini, pistachios, almonds manchego, dark chocolate dipped in natural peanut butter 

dinner out- a taste of each- bruschetta, roasted Brussels with corn and balsamic, fried green tomato, skirt steak with chimichurri, Brie with toasted baguette, Brie blueberry jam sandwich, key lime pie. 

• Like 3

Saturday -

Breakfast - Kale and broccoli sprouts. Muesli with cranberry beans and soybeans, cantaloupe, pineapple, guava, banana, plum, kiwi, mulberries, apple, walnuts, pecans, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Odds and ends: Mixed greens, 1/2 a lentil/brown rice/veggie burger, a cucumber, a yellow bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, a G-BOMBS bar.

Dinner - Same as last night: Steamed artichokes with sesame peanut dipping sauce and cajun mac & "cheese" with broccoli, cauliflower, and mushrooms. Strawberries for dessert.

• Like 1

Saturday- well:) 

went to walk a 5k and thought I’d do it fasted but ended up with one donut hole before we walked. 

Then we decided to play pickleball which I can’t do fasted, so I took advantage of lots of cardio in my future and had a bagel on the way:) 

then I had 1/2 order fries before I took my dog to the dog park 

then I ate my mixed berries with chia and flax and keto granola 

then we went to a community event with food and I had some cheese, a couple mini meatballs, tons of yummy cowboy cavier type bean dip, Cole slaw and black beans and rice. 

fun day! Ok food. Lots of exercise! 

• Like 2

For those trying to stay no or low sugar:

I’ve been eating amaranth porridge and have been really enjoying it. I thought I’d post how I do it in case anyone wants to try.

Put 2.5 cups water and 1 cup amaranth in Instant Pot. Cook under pressure for 5 minutes and use 10 minute or natural release. Store in container for up to five days. It’s four servings. For each serving, I put a cold serving into a bowl with four large chunks of frozen banana. Microwave until warm and banana is soft. Mash up the banana and mix it into the amaranth. Top with cinnamon and chopped pecan. 

It’s so sweet and delicious. Has lots of iron and protein.

• Like 3

Sunday- 

breakfast- slice of toast with peanut butter 

lunch- my favorite chipotle salad. Mixed greens, steak, beans, fajita veggies, fresh tomato salsa 

snack- some potato chips 

dinner- skip 

Tons of water today. Lots of exercise and a hint too much wine this weekend left me dehydrated. 

• Like 2

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Kale and daikon microgreens. Muesli with pigeon peas, pineapple, cantaloupe, plum, guava, banana, blueberries, blackberries, apple, kiwi, mulberries, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens with steamed tofu, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, scallions, red bell pepper, radishes, mushrooms, sesame peanut dressing. Quinoa flatbread.

Dinner - Arugula with edamame, steamed sweet potato, radishes, blackberries, tangerine-stuffed olives, a drizzle of Sweet Heat balsamic vinegar. The last of the Cajun mac & “cheese” with broccoli, cauliflower, and mushrooms.

• Like 2

Sunday-

dh didn’t leave church until 1:40 so I ate a snack size bag of chips while I waited. 

it was after 2 pm before we had lunch- bunless sweet onion cheese burger, coleslaw, two stolen sweet potato fries 

dinner- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and spinach; 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese, chocolate squares 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Monday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli with ayocote morado beans, cantaloupe, pear, apple, blueberries, guava, kiwi, banana, plum, nectarine, mulberries, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens with black quinoa, vaquero beans, avocado, carrot, cherry tomatoes, scallions, beets, mushrooms, sesame peanut dressing. A G-BOMBS bar.

Dinner - I tried two new recipes from Shane and Simple (one of my favorite WFPB sites). Sriracha coleslaw (purple cabbage with carrots, shallots, and a cashew-based dressing) and Hasselback potatoes. Both were huge hits and the potatoes disappeared rapidly (one of our young adult kids had dinner with us tonight, which means no leftovers 😄).

• Like 3

Monday-

breakfast-  keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, coconut yogurt, bone broth 

lunch- one scrambled egg, 2 strips of bacon, 1 gf toast with blackberry jam

snack- bone broth 

dinner- zoodles, shredded carrots, onions and vegan chao with spicy Italian meatballs. Chocolate squares. 

One scrambled egg, 2 strips of bacon 

• Like 2

Monday- 

breakfast- fast

lunch- arugula, broccoli and kale micro greens with Parmesan and balsamic, chicken, asparagus, 1/2 apple, peanut butter, walnuts, dark chocolate 

snack- manchego, pistachios, flackers 

more pickleball - 1/4 bagel with butter 

post pickleball - wine 

Edited by Toocrazy!!
  • Like 2

Tuesday 

skipped breakfast 

lunch- arugula salad with chicken and asparagus, microgreens, Romano cheese, balsamic and olive oil 

snack- potato chips and cashews 

dinner- arugula, butter beans, microgreens, cheese, balsamic and olive oil, apple, peanut butter, dark chocolate 

In a little food rut, and I think I need more food. Will have to plan better tomorrow. 

• Like 2

Tuesday-

snack- none 

dinner- thin sliced beef, onions, bell peppers, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, snow peas, yellow squash, gf orange sauce; forbidden rice blend , chocolate squares 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 1