Menu

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~July 2022 Frugalistas~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mommyoffive

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

Saved some money today by cutting my own hair. I cut about 3 inches off! This was only the second time I've ever done it. My sister will be over later so I'm going to have her fix anything in the back that needs it.

Dh is my hair cutter and also everyone in the family.  My kids have never gone anywhere to get their hair cut, and I know I haven't since we have been married.  Good for you for doing it yourself.  I can't do that.

• Like 3

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Dh is my hair cutter and also everyone in the family.  My kids have never gone anywhere to get their hair cut, and I know I haven't since we have been married.  Good for you for doing it yourself.  I can't do that.

Dh and I cut the kids' hair and dh cuts his own. My fil's husband is a hair stylist so usually I can get a free professional cut but they live an hour away so usually when we visit we just want to enjoy the visit.

my hair was so long it would wrap around my neck and we'd joke it was trying to strangle me. So, I chopped it off. I was too scared to go as short as I really wanted which was too my shoulders. But it is almost therw

• Like 4

I'm back--I put almost 6000 miles on our vehicle in the past two weeks. Phew! My mom called a few weeks ago to say my dad isn't doing well, and he's not.Â đŸ˜”Â I'm glad we got to spend a bit of time together. Flights were crazy expensive, so we drove. We were the only people we saw masking once we left our state.....and though we were careful to mask, bring a HEPA filter, and get takeout everywhere, I'm still crossing my fingers we didn't bring germs home. We saw a lot of sick people and actually skipped seeing some friends and family because they had covid.  Costco was our friend on this trip---getting a takeout pizza or a taco kit worked out to be way cheaper than doing drive through on our travel days--and even cheaper than packing our own food due to food prices. The math was kind of crazy when I broke it down, but that's how it worked out. 

I went by Target last night to pick up something as we're settling back in, and our Target had a number of things clearanced out 70%.  I didn't see that when I stopped in at Targets in different states along the journey (we had someone tear their trousers, a water bottle broke--the usual small things that happen), but the sales were decent enough that if you have things you are holding on your shopping list or you need toys for Christmas--I'd peek in in case it's also happening locally. They had a lot of toys that were popular in 2020 (LOL Surprise dolls, Harry Potter kits, etc.) in and clearanced--almost like a shipping container had arrived really late. They also had all of their bath and bedding stuff 25% off. It was wild. I didn't buy much because I didn't need much, but I'm going to go look at the state of our sheets today and maybe order some more. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I'm back--I put almost 6000 miles on our vehicle in the past two weeks. Phew! My mom called a few weeks ago to say my dad isn't doing well, and he's not.Â đŸ˜”Â I'm glad we got to spend a bit of time together. Flights were crazy expensive, so we drove. We were the only people we saw masking once we left our state.....and though we were careful to mask, bring a HEPA filter, and get takeout everywhere, I'm still crossing my fingers we didn't bring germs home. We saw a lot of sick people and actually skipped seeing some friends and family because they had covid.  Costco was our friend on this trip---getting a takeout pizza or a taco kit worked out to be way cheaper than doing drive through on our travel days--and even cheaper than packing our own food due to food prices. The math was kind of crazy when I broke it down, but that's how it worked out. 

I went by Target last night to pick up something as we're settling back in, and our Target had a number of things clearanced out 70%.  I didn't see that when I stopped in at Targets in different states along the journey (we had someone tear their trousers, a water bottle broke--the usual small things that happen), but the sales were decent enough that if you have things you are holding on your shopping list or you need toys for Christmas--I'd peek in in case it's also happening locally. They had a lot of toys that were popular in 2020 (LOL Surprise dolls, Harry Potter kits, etc.) in and clearanced--almost like a shipping container had arrived really late. They also had all of their bath and bedding stuff 25% off. It was wild. I didn't buy much because I didn't need much, but I'm going to go look at the state of our sheets today and maybe order some more. 

I am glad that you got to go visit your dad.  Sending some good thoughts his way.

I hope you guys didn't get sick at all.   Good idea about using Costco.  Are the taco kits something you don't have to cook?  I haven't been inside a costco for 17 years or so.  

Cool on the discounted stuff at Target.  That would be so great to stock up for Christmas on toys.  I think though that normally Target before covid used to do 2 different toy discounts every year.  One after Christmas and then one in summer.  I think I am remember that right.  Although the ship arriving late totally makes sense these days too.

• Like 3

The taco kits run $15-17 (sold by weight) and include precooked grilled and seasoned chicken, a blend of cabbage and other matchstick veg, cheese, corn tortillas, etc. They also have sealed cups of salsa and a cilantro lime sauce. My kids ate it cold, but I used the microwave in our room to heat up my tortillas (wrapped in a damp paper towel) and my chicken. For feeding three teens and me, everyone was full and happy for under $20, which is a good deal. 

• Like 3

We still had the washing machine in our garage, and it was the neighborhood garage sales today. So I ran through the house last night gathering junk treasures, and I put out about 3 tables. Made a fairly nice profit and freed up space in the house. Washing machine and punching bag were the two big items that sold. I closed up around 1 pm because it was looking pretty spare and people were just slowing down but not stopping since we didn't have much then. Have 2 boxes and 2 larger things to take to Salvation Army and 2 boxes of books for the library. Only brought 2 prom dresses back into the house - we'll sell those next prom season (DD can't fit into them anymore).

My paycheck next week should have a little bonus and a raise. Yay! Also, I worked an extra 1 1/2 hours due to it being the fiscal year end this past week, so that paycheck will have a little bump in a couple of weeks. Finally, I should get 3 days' pay from my second job due to getting the 4th as a paid holiday (normally, I only work 2 afternoons a week there). 

Edited by historically accurate
  • Like 8

Got gas at Sam's for 4.23. 

I walked through a few places just browsing kids clothes. A lot has gone up suddenly, like just this week. Back to school clothing switch over has previously $4-5 tees going for $8 and up now. Even the clearance racks have stickers like 7.99 and 11.99 on items with MSRP of $16 that I paid $6 for on sale last season. I'm glad I stock up on dirt cheap deals all year long and we don't need "proper" or trendy school clothes.

Edited by Brittany1116
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, historically accurate said:

We still had the washing machine in our garage, and it was the neighborhood garage sales today. So I ran through the house last night gathering junk treasures, and I put out about 3 tables. Made a fairly nice profit and freed up space in the house. Washing machine and punching bag were the two big items that sold. I closed up around 1 pm because it was looking pretty spare and people were just slowing down but not stopping since we didn't have much then. Have 2 boxes and 2 larger things to take to Salvation Army and 2 boxes of books for the library. Only brought 2 prom dresses back into the house - we'll sell those next prom season (DD can't fit into them anymore).

My paycheck next week should have a little bonus and a raise. Yay! Also, I worked an extra 1 1/2 hours due to it being the fiscal year end this past week, so that paycheck will have a little bump in a couple of weeks. Finally, I should get 3 days' pay from my second job due to getting the 4th as a paid holiday (normally, I only work 2 afternoons a week there). 

Score on the last minute garage sale!  Awesome.

Yay for all the extra paychecks, bonus, and raise!!  Great job.

• Like 3

Saw gas for 3.99 at the truck stop. Diesel is below $5/gallon now.

And I too am glad we dont have to chase after trendy or proper school clothes. DS14 does not care about fashion at all. His favorite shirt came from goodwill.

Edited by MissLemon
  • Like 6

Wow! The cheapest gas we got the entire trip was $4.69/gallon. It’s down to $5.20 at Costco, but most stations here are still around $5.50. Idaho was mostly in the $5.20 range. Wyoming was mostly in $4.80-4.90 range. Colorado was mostly in the $5.20 range. It was until we crossed into Kansas and Missouri that we dropped below $5/gallon. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Wow! The cheapest gas we got the entire trip was $4.69/gallon. It’s down to $5.20 at Costco, but most stations here are still around $5.50. Idaho was mostly in the $5.20 range. Wyoming was mostly in $4.80-4.90 range. Colorado was mostly in the $5.20 range. It was until we crossed into Kansas and Missouri that we dropped below $5/gallon. 

DH found gas at $4.89 today and was super excited. 

• Like 3

I didn’t do great with spending but it’s all evening out I guess. I splurged on this natural bug spray (ant invasion after a storm) but the stuff didn’t work and I requested a refund. I explained the situation and Amazon is crediting my account but not requiring me to ship the bottle back. It was a spray bottle + concentrated solution that I had mixed up with water and then just dumped. Ants (I think carpenter ants) keep getting into the cat food… and biting me! I keep them at bay with a little moat around the food/water dishes but that didn’t help every time. I didn’t ask the credit to go to the cc (I’d just paid off the monthly balance as it was due). I said Amazon credit was ok, but I don’t know if the system is smart enough to update my subscribe & save to use the GC balance this month. It will be absorbed by something though. That was $28. I spent some money this month on a pickleball paddle. I got one of the least expensive ones that wasn’t wood. I played with a group on Sat and borrowed one of theirs that day. Mine will arrive soon. 

I bought ankle weights that said 2lb set and wasn’t sure if that meant 2 lbs each or total. Turns out they were only 1 lb each and way too wimpy! I returned them and used store credit to cover majority of an impulse buy which was shelves discounted 50% off. I thought they would be nice for the new house/ds’ room…. However I don’t know now that my new landlords told me they only want me to hang up stuff in a stud or use command strips. Umm that doesn’t work when you hang wide items unless they can magically line up with 2 studs. 

they said it’s my decision to switch utilities to my name but it’s a $150 fee so I think I’ll just leave them as they are. I don’t think I’ll have the same issues I have with my current landlord. They said I could even mooch off their internet but I said oh no that’s not necessary I’d probably consume too much anyway (they say it’s unlimited but I’m not sure that matters… doesn’t it affect speed if too many jump on?) and they said well at least if you’re in between service installation (I don’t have an exact service date in mind). I thanked them. 

They said the water/sewer/trash is a flat rate every month in their town. 

part of the home has been updated/restored and some is still older but functional. The roof is new, the windows are new, the wood floors have been refinished (tile in kitchen and vinyl or something in bathroom). I’m excited. 

Brought a coupon for the Ezekiel bread but they only had the English muffins so I got those. I bought my 6pk of romaine lettuce and the strawberries were a decent price so got those. 

• Like 3

So much for cheap bowling night đŸ˜©

The deal was $2 games, $2 shoes, concession stand hot dogs, fries and nachos were $2. Ds wanted the plate of 12 wings -  $15!! Our relationship is fragile and he doesn’t ask for much so I wasn’t going to force him to get a hot dog. Dd wasn’t hungry but I made her order something so she got a drink and fries. I ordered a drink, fries, and hot dog. Total for the concession stand was $26. 

We originally paid for 2 games. We bowled with another family and the game took forever. Looked like several of the kids were over it so I told the mom I could ask about refunds on unused games. We were able to do that so we canceled the second game. 

Bowling/shoes for my family - $12.  

On the way home I was dying of thirst and the GPS said Dollar Tree would close as I arrived so I pulled into a McD drive thru. At this point I just let the kids order whatever and I got a bottle of water. Approx $11.50. 

Then we stopped at the grocery store because I was running out of meal ideas and needed the kids to pick out stuff. Spent $86. 

I got an alert today that I’ve used 75% of my home internet plan and the cycle ends in 8 days. I told dd that she probably needs to switch to dvds tomorrow (I have Gravity Falls on DVD and can see if I can find something at the library). I have the kids 5 more days… chances are I’ll have to pay $10 to upgrade because I use it for work and the kids are always on devices. I swiped my cc for groceries. I have barely anything in my checking acct and will be paid around the 20th. I pay off my cc monthly if I use it. 

I didn’t even factor gas in as that’s standard for our outings but we drive roughly 2 hours total tonight. 

• Sad 3

the 401k adjustment dh made a few weeks ago still isn't showing up on his paycheck for this week, which hampers my ability to fully deal with our new budget with his new salary for at least another 2 weeks.  Not a big deal but a pain in the butt for my planner nature.

I made roughly $300 for a pet sitting job last week and will make another $150 next week. 

This weekend I'll be buckling down and getting the rest of my ebay stuff listed so I can store it and get the guest room ready for my sister's visit. I have sold a few things this month, which is nice.  The more I list the more the algorithm shows all my stuff, which means the more I sell.

• Like 4

I own 2 twins and a twin XL. I bought a twin XL mattress bag for moving. I wasn't able to apply my Amazon credit balance to my subscribe and saves (I guess because they were already partially processed or something) so I applied it to the mattress bag. Out of pocket I paid less than $4. I'll use this cover to transport each mattress separately. I'll bungee to the roof or have stick out of the back of my SUV. The drive is 20-25 min. The painter didn't paint the baseboards or some other details so when I go by Sunday I'll see what's left to do and offer to paint that myself maybe next week. I just want to get the home ready and start moving in. They said they should have the blinds up Saturday so I will bring a few items over Sunday (it's by the church... which come fall I'll attend probably every other weekend because the weekends I have the kids dd will need to attend another church for First Communion classes). The weeks I go locally I'll save gas. It's less than 10 min. round trip from the new house. Right now I drive about 45 min round trip to go to that church.

• Like 4

somehow managed to keep groceries under $150, which is amazing since I've been pressing $200 every week this whole year. I'll set the almost $40 extra aside for any grocery incidentals that pop up over the next week.  If there is any left over it is going into a stock up fund so I can get ahead of stocking up on things that are deeply discounted.  

• Like 4

This is the second time I went down the street to a health fair and missed the person with the BP machine. But they insisted on sending me home with stuff so I got a couple reusable water bottles (which I was happy about because dd and ds either lose theirs or leave them at dad's house), some sanitizing wipes, liquid, and spray and cloth bags. I didn't really want the bags because I think it's clutter but actually I'll just keep in my car for grocery trips. I use the giant Sam's club bags but sometimes it's good to have smaller bags. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

Everyone cross your fingers that we get tuition assistance for dance this year. Filling out registration and financial forms is what I'm working on tonight. Because if not I gotta get creative with paying for dance

I was just looking at how much the old school was were my kids were dancing was for their levels.  For my 2 oldest it would either be $464 or $500 each per month.  And all 5 of mine dance.  The new school that they dance at now was last year $580 a month for all 5 of them.  We can use school funds to pay for a chunk of it so that helps for sure.   I do not miss that old payment.  It was more than our mortage. 

What did you end up deciding about YGAP?

23 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I was just looking at how much the old school was were my kids were dancing was for their levels.  For my 2 oldest it would either be $464 or $500 each per month.  And all 5 of mine dance.  The new school that they dance at now was last year $580 a month for all 5 of them.  We can use school funds to pay for a chunk of it so that helps for sure.   I do not miss that old payment.  It was more than our mortage. 

What did you end up deciding about YGAP?

$580 a month for all 5 is amazing!  is that 9 months of payments?  Without assistance it is looking like $466/month for the 2 girls for 9 months. It is certainly doable but I'd love it to be less if they have funds to offer us. One dances 4 days a week and the other only 2 because of their levels. 

We aren't going to do YGAP.  We haven't decided about the other one her school participates in.  That may depend on if they get assistance with tuition.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

$580 a month for all 5 is amazing!  is that 9 months of payments?  Without assistance it is looking like $466/month for the 2 girls for 9 months. It is certainly doable but I'd love it to be less if they have funds to offer us. One dances 4 days a week and the other only 2 because of their levels. 

We aren't going to do YGAP.  We haven't decided about the other one her school participates in.  That may depend on if they get assistance with tuition.  

Yep, 9 months of payments.   And that is not using school funds, that is just the straight up price for the 5 kids.  This place is so amazingly affordable.   I wish we would have found it years and years ago.  Ugh.  Last year my oldest 2 danced 5-6 days a week.  Middle 2, 3 days a week.  Youngest 1 day a week.   The offer some discounts for siblings and something else.  So affordable and my kids LOVE it there and are learning so much more than the old place.  I couldn't be happier about it.  We were paying so much at the old place.  I think when we left it was or $1400-$1500 a month.  And of course it goes up every year, because they charge more.  And then on top of that the levels cost more as you go higher.

What other competition does your school do? 

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 3

Took the kids and a tagalong cousin out all day. 4.19/gal for gas. State park entry was $5. Packed lunch. Then creamery for cones was $18. We went to the museum and parking was $4. Pressed penny souvenir for cousin was 51c. Hit the art shop and found discounted pottery by a local artist so I paid $10 for 2 small bowls; one is mine and the other is a gift. $43 after tip for dinner with leftovers. We don't typically spend money like that but she's visiting from out of town and my kids needed to get out, too. Back to free fun for a while now.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Brittany1116 said:

Took the kids and a tagalong cousin out all day. 4.19/gal for gas. State park entry was $5. Packed lunch. Then creamery for cones was $18. We went to the museum and parking was $4. Pressed penny souvenir for cousin was 51c. Hit the art shop and found discounted pottery by a local artist so I paid $10 for 2 small bowls; one is mine and the other is a gift. $43 after tip for dinner with leftovers. We don't typically spend money like that but she's visiting from out of town and my kids needed to get out, too. Back to free fun for a while now.

That sounds like a fun day!

• Like 3

Hanging out with a close friend later tonight at her house. So, the only cost to that is the gas! I'm so thankful for friends who do not constantly want to go out and spend money to hang out. 

Angry cleaning my house today until it is time to pick kids up from dance, so no other spending today

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I cleaned the whole house today, only because we were having a service person that came over.  I predict it will stay this way for about 1 more hour!  

Hilarious but if it is anything like my house very true

• Like 3

I'm alternating between angry weeding (in the morning, when it is cooler) and angry cleaning (in the afternoon, in the air conditioning). I feel like I barely scrape through the school year in terms of keeping the balls up in the air, and then I spend the summer gardening and cleaning.  I'm trying to get the deep cleaning done early so I can just spend August mostly at the beach.  Most of the tourists head back home by the second week or so, and school doesn't start here until September.

If I could choose, I would just hike and live at the beach all summer like the hippie I am. Lol. Life goals for when the kids are older and not needing to go to university while living at home.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MissLemon said:

I went to the Goodwill bins today. I hadn't been in years and sort of forgot about that place. Yowza, it's crazy there! But I got a bunch of stuff I can flip and a few things to keep. One of the purses I grabbed had $3 in it, lol! 

Nice.  Money maker.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Ugh.  Me too.  I thought you were in one of the states getting one.  That sucks.

The real gut punch is I pay incomes taxes in one of the states because she works there. Actually pay more taxes there than our own state.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, MissLemon said:

I went to the Goodwill bins today. I hadn't been in years and sort of forgot about that place. Yowza, it's crazy there! But I got a bunch of stuff I can flip and a few things to keep. One of the purses I grabbed had $3 in it, lol! 

Lol someone once gave me trash bags of clothes they got from someone else. I kept 2 items and months later, wearing the sweater for the first time, I found a $20 in the pocket. 

• Like 5