Menu

And...DH has covid

ktgrok

9 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

Do y'all feel as though people are being more transparent about their illness at this point?  Still feel like people being secretive about it.

Maybe I just think they should be more transparent so we could be more able to try to protect ourselves. I guess people didn't advertise getting the flu or strep in the past. Or did they? 

I think it’s less of a stigma now. People around me are open about it. I texted all our friends to stay away from our house (we often have people drop in). 
I also think more people have it because for many with vaccinations the symptoms are so mild, they don’t prompt testing, and these people run around spreading. My DS thought it was his allergies flaring up a bit. 

44 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Oh, and it seems anectdotally on here this strain is lingering longer, meanwhile the CDC guidelines were shortened, so more people who ARE following guidelines but are still contagious going out and about. 

The idea of being clear at 5 days came from a study of healthy 20 something college students....when the studied middle aged adults the results were very different - less than half cleared at 5 days. And it was close to 20% I think that were still positive at day 10. 

My dh had covid just last week. 

The guidelines say to isolate for 5 days and only come out if symptoms improve.  Well, my dh’s symptoms sort of improved insofar as some of them got better, but he still had debilitating fatigue. I was like, “Dude! You are still feeling sick as a dog! Your symptoms have not “improved” enough for you to come out of isolation. They don’t mean, ‘Some of your symptoms went away, but you still feel sick as a dog, so come on out and hang out with the family!’”

I made him stay isolated for another 5 days. On day 9, he woke up feeling really good. That is the day I say that his symptoms improved. He finally had energy and wasn’t falling asleep every other minute. 

So, yeah, 54 year old middle-aged men aren’t going to be the same as 20-something college students. We already knew that the younger set has milder symptoms.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Kf94, but yes, there was eating. He admits he was not as good about masking as normal - they had food in the halls in the evening, so he'd take it off to eat, then get caught up in conversation with someone and forget to put it back on. That happened more than once. Plus they at an indoor restaurant one evening, when they were all hungry and didn't know where else to go. 

Thank you for the reply!  I am so sorry he got it.  I was really curious about the masking habits and would have been really concerned if he had worn a mask the entire time and still developed covid.  Praying for a quick recovery!!!    

2 minutes ago, mjbucks1 said:

Thank you for the reply!  I am so sorry he got it.  I was really curious about the masking habits and would have been really concerned if he had worn a mask the entire time and still developed covid.  Praying for a quick recovery!!!    

I get it!!! I sometimes hate asking as I don’t mean it in an accusatory way, just gathering info. Same with you I’m sure. 

• Like 2