Menu

And...DH has covid

ktgrok

3 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

That is really weird. If it was a PCR it would make sense, but I haven’t heard of that with RAT tests before. 

I agree, super weird! Strange enough I’d almost be curious to see if they are doing any kind of studies on people who have that happen to see what it means.

4 hours ago, cjzimmer1 said:

DS was using the rapid tests that his workplace provided (essential business, they had stocks of tests even when they weren't available to the general public) and was testing positive on those for 8 weeks.  But you are correct Public Health didn't distinguish between which type of test when they told us the 4 month thing. 

Is it possible that the rapid tests from his work were rapid point-of-care NAAT tests, like the ID NOW, which are molecular, rather than antigen tests?  Some of the rapid NAAT's result within 5 min.  That would make it make sense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

That is really weird. If it was a PCR it would make sense, but I haven’t heard of that with RAT tests before. 

Yeah, I just looked it up and in studies with omicron the latest positive with a RAT was I thin 14 days. Almost half were negative by day 5 or 6, and over 80% by day 11 if I remember right 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

@ktgrok — How are you and your dh feeling today? Are the kids still ok?

Kids have no symptoms, have not tested them in the last day. 

I have maybe some congestion, but again, not abnormal. DH is still sleeping, letting him sleep in for father's day. 

• Like 4

Found this https://khn.org/news/article/rapid-antigen-test-isolation-guidance/

The odds are very slim, outside of a laboratory setting, that someone who gets a positive result on a rapid antigen test is a non-infectious person shedding large amounts of dead virus, said Kelly Wroblewski, director of infectious disease programs for the Association of Public Health Laboratories.

There are several reasons for this. First, according to the Infectious Diseases Society of America, “a major advantage” of rapid antigen tests is that they are somewhat blunt tools for picking up on the virus. Therefore, a positive result tends to mean the person has a high viral load, especially if symptoms appeared.

Second, it takes a substantial amount of virus material to register as positive on an antigen test, so a person would need a high level of dead virus sitting around in their nose or throat, and usually that signals a high level of live virus, too.

Third, even if someone did have a high level of dead virus hanging around, quantity alone wouldn’t be enough to trigger a positive test — viral proteins tend to lose their shape after a battle with the immune system, which can render them undetectable by antigen tests.

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

VERY faint Binax positive for me today. Super faint, only visible at the full 15 minute mark. 

DH still is snotty, he's not drinking enough fluids (despite me trying), and I realized he hadn't showered since Wednesday! Forced him to take a shower and let the steam work to help clear the sinuses. Y'all, he's worse than a kid. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

24 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

VERY faint Binax positive for me today. Super faint, only visible at the full 15 minute mark. 

DH still is snotty, he's not drinking enough fluids (despite me trying), and I realized he hadn't showered since Wednesday! Forced him to take a shower and let the steam work to help clear the sinuses. Y'all, he's worse than a kid. 

How are you feeling?  Glad you got DH in the shower and hope he feels better soon.  

Just now, Kassia said:

How are you feeling?  Glad you got DH in the shower and hope he feels better soon.  

just a bit run down maybe. little post nasal drip, nothing outside the norm really. Like, I could take a nap...just a bit low energy, but that's really about it. My voice was maybe a bit hoarse again last evening for a bit. 

I do have lower body ...aches isn't exactly the right word. Usually it's when I have my period, or bad ovulation time, and I did just ovulate, so maybe it is that, but my lower body feels off - fullness in pelvis, and a heavy not quite right feeling in my legs. So, most likely related to my cycle, but been going on for a few days now, instead of just one day. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

My dh did best hydrating with melons when he had Covid. Hope you all feel better soon. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, freesia said:

My dh did best hydrating with melons when he had Covid. Hope you all feel better soon. 

This worked! THANK YOU!!!! He ate a whole bowl of melons and such, and then just now was saying, "It's weird, I have to pee and I just went a while ago." Um, yeah, dude, you are actually hydrated! Such great advice! Thank you! (I have more fruit for later/tomorrow, lol)

• Like 11

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

This worked! THANK YOU!!!! He ate a whole bowl of melons and such, and then just now was saying, "It's weird, I have to pee and I just went a while ago." Um, yeah, dude, you are actually hydrated! Such great advice! Thank you! (I have more fruit for later/tomorrow, lol)

Oh, I’m so glad!  Dh had a very high fever and since we were quarantining him I couldn’t force feed him water or remind him to drink. Then I discovered the only thing he would eat was melon. So, I bought a melon plate and a watermelon and just kept him supplied at all times. 

• Like 2

I woke up Friday with body aches all over but didn’t feel otherwise sick at all. I took a home test and it was negative. I started feeling like I had a cold over the weekend and this morning woke up with a sore throat so I tested again. A bright pink line showed up super fast today. Ugh. This is the first time any of us have had it. It just feels like a cold to me so far. Not the easiest cold but not as bad as some (definitely not as bad as the flu for me). We’re all boosted and so far everyone else feels fine. I’m really hoping no one else get it, so I’m taking over the master bedroom until I test negative. 

Hope you and your Dh are back to 💯 soon!

• Sad 6

9 minutes ago, Joker2 said:

I woke up Friday with body aches all over but didn’t feel otherwise sick at all. I took a home test and it was negative. I started feeling like I had a cold over the weekend and this morning woke up with a sore throat so I tested again. A bright pink line showed up super fast today. Ugh. This is the first time any of us have had it. It just feels like a cold to me so far. Not the easiest cold but not as bad as some (definitely not as bad as the flu for me). We’re all boosted and so far everyone else feels fine. I’m really hoping no one else get it, so I’m taking over the master bedroom until I test negative. 

so sorry! For curiosities sake, what brand of tests did you use? 

7 minutes ago, Joker2 said:

Oh no, I am so sorry! This latest variant is just crazy contagious. I really hope your case is mild and your family Covid free. Hugs!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

so sorry! For curiosities sake, what brand of tests did you use? 

Dh picked up more QuickVue and Flowflex from the store so I tried the Flowflex. It was immediately positive as well. Our Binax had expired so don’t have any of them to compare.

13 minutes ago, Joker2 said:

Our Binax had expired so don’t have any of them to compare.

Sorry to hear you’re positive. Fwiw, Binax expiration dates have been extended to at least 15 months from manufacture. I think that hasn’t been advertised well enough and a lot of tests have been thrown out that were still okay to use. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

And...he is STILL testing positive. Today is day 10, with the day he tested positive being day 0. And very positive. He also still has congestion, although much much better than the early days. 

At this point, CDC says he is fine, no mask, no nothing. 

Articles on the interwebs with actual doctors are split - some doctors side with CDC saying, "probably not a high viral load...." but others saying, "if enough to test positive on a rapid, still contagious". And even the ones saying, "probably okay to go out" say to keep distance, avoid sharing indoor space, etc..so not REALLY saying you are "done". 

Studies show up to 17% of people still test positive at day 10, guess he is in that boat. We decided he can go downstairs briefly in a mask, just to not go insane, like to get a drink to bring upstairs, have a quick coversation with a kid from over 6 feet away, etc. But otherwise, continue to stay in office/bedroom. 

This really sucks. 

• Sad 6

31 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

And...he is STILL testing positive. Today is day 10, with the day he tested positive being day 0. And very positive. He also still has congestion, although much much better than the early days. 

At this point, CDC says he is fine, no mask, no nothing. 

Articles on the interwebs with actual doctors are split - some doctors side with CDC saying, "probably not a high viral load...." but others saying, "if enough to test positive on a rapid, still contagious". And even the ones saying, "probably okay to go out" say to keep distance, avoid sharing indoor space, etc..so not REALLY saying you are "done". 

Studies show up to 17% of people still test positive at day 10, guess he is in that boat. We decided he can go downstairs briefly in a mask, just to not go insane, like to get a drink to bring upstairs, have a quick coversation with a kid from over 6 feet away, etc. But otherwise, continue to stay in office/bedroom. 

This really sucks. 

I’m with him in the 17%…..I’m still testing positive on RAT on day 10. I’m feeling pretty good, but also still have some congestion….definitely improving. My symptoms have been pretty much in my nose/sinuses the whole time, so my theory is that is just where I’m carrying the virus. Dh and ds also have it now, so I’m not isolating in my room anymore. Dh has worse symptoms than I’ve had, but is improving. Ds(19) had a mild sore throat yesterday, but that’s better today, and he just has mild congestion today but feels fine. Thankfully I work from home anyway, and don’t really have anywhere I need to go in the next several days, but frustrating to still be testing positive.  

24 minutes ago, HSmomof2 said:

I’m with him in the 17%…..I’m still testing positive on RAT on day 10. I’m feeling pretty good, but also still have some congestion….definitely improving. My symptoms have been pretty much in my nose/sinuses the whole time, so my theory is that is just where I’m carrying the virus. Dh and ds also have it now, so I’m not isolating in my room anymore. Dh has worse symptoms than I’ve had, but is improving. Ds(19) had a mild sore throat yesterday, but that’s better today, and he just has mild congestion today but feels fine. Thankfully I work from home anyway, and don’t really have anywhere I need to go in the next several days, but frustrating to still be testing positive.  

Yup. He's supposed to teach in person classes on monday. 

and he misses the kids!

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I am hoping you and he are all better by now.

yes! I still have a few moments of tachycardia, but less often, usually related to stress. 

DH is mostly asymptomatic now, other than a little lingering congestion maybe. He finally tested negative on day 12 I think it was. 

• Like 4

Hi jacking the thread for a moment to say how long do you keep iso in the house? Somehow amazingly no one has tested positive yet. It’s 7 days now but DH is still getting a faint positive. He has been very well behaved but starting to get some serious quarantine fatigue. 

On the other hand it would be extremely frustrating to get it now and have to make the kids do another week of iso.

4 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Hi jacking the thread for a moment to say how long do you keep iso in the house? Somehow amazingly no one has tested positive yet. It’s 7 days now but DH is still getting a faint positive. He has been very well behaved but starting to get some serious quarantine fatigue. 

On the other hand it would be extremely frustrating to get it now and have to make the kids do another week of iso.

We decided not to isolate from each other. Our level of symptoms are so low that by the time we knew some were positive, we'd already been living together.

We are trying to wash hands more and be more intentional at not eating after each other. But we're not going to great lengths to isolate.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ktgrok said:

yes! I still have a few moments of tachycardia, but less often, usually related to stress. 

DH is mostly asymptomatic now, other than a little lingering congestion maybe. He finally tested negative on day 12 I think it was. 

Did the kids ever get sick?

17 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

We decided not to isolate from each other. Our level of symptoms are so low that by the time we knew some were positive, we'd already been living together.

We are trying to wash hands more and be more intentional at not eating after each other. But we're not going to great lengths to isolate.

I understand. I wasn’t totally convinced isolating would work but it seems to have. If anyone else had gone down we would have given up. I’m still aiming to minimise the chance of infection because I’m still not happy about the long term impacts. I know most people aren’t worried about that though. 

I was more asking what people who were isolating were doing.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 1:10 PM, mommyoffive said:

Did the kids ever get sick?

Nope! I think me masking as soon as she was positive, while I was still negative, really helped.

they continued to test negative and never had symptoms.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Aww that is awesome!  I hope they had a great time at VBS.

They did! about 1/3 of the kids in my 4-6 grade class were masking, I think less than that in the younger classes, so now avoding my mom and waiting to see if anyone caught anything while at VBS. 

Oh, and they did one of the snack times indoors, although they did make sure to do it in the largest room - the fellowship hall - so more air per kid. And spaced the 11 kids at 4 tables, so not all scrunched up. But still. The other snack was a popsicle, and was outdoors. 

We had one kids that only came one day, and I saw they were collecting crafts and stuff to take to him...I'm thinking maybe he got sick, but don't know. 

But yeah, my kids had a blast, and so did I, which I really didn't expect, so it was awesome! Just wish kids/adults had masked (I was the ONLY adult masking!) so it would have been safer. 

We allowed my kids to do this knowing it was a risk, because after nearly 3 years they freaking deserve ONE fun activity! But it will be our only one where we let them eat indoors. From now on back to outdoor stuff, other than church, which they and I will mask at. (sunday school is still outside)

And I'm hoping the church is going to reinstate indoor masks. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

They did! about 1/3 of the kids in my 4-6 grade class were masking, I think less than that in the younger classes, so now avoding my mom and waiting to see if anyone caught anything while at VBS. 

Oh, and they did one of the snack times indoors, although they did make sure to do it in the largest room - the fellowship hall - so more air per kid. And spaced the 11 kids at 4 tables, so not all scrunched up. But still. The other snack was a popsicle, and was outdoors. 

We had one kids that only came one day, and I saw they were collecting crafts and stuff to take to him...I'm thinking maybe he got sick, but don't know. 

But yeah, my kids had a blast, and so did I, which I really didn't expect, so it was awesome! Just wish kids/adults had masked (I was the ONLY adult masking!) so it would have been safer. 

We allowed my kids to do this knowing it was a risk, because after nearly 3 years they freaking deserve ONE fun activity! But it will be our only one where we let them eat indoors. From now on back to outdoor stuff, other than church, which they and I will mask at. (sunday school is still outside)

And I'm hoping the church is going to reinstate indoor masks. 

Sounds awesome.  I am glad they got that experience after almost 3 years.  Ugh.  Seems like they could have done some safer things, but I think finding places doing any measures is pretty rare these days.  Hoping they didn't catch anything.

39 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Sounds awesome.  I am glad they got that experience after almost 3 years.  Ugh.  Seems like they could have done some safer things, but I think finding places doing any measures is pretty rare these days.  Hoping they didn't catch anything.

Me too. Trying to figure out when to test the kids, or if to test them. I did find more tests under the sink, so there is that...

Last exposure potential was Friday around noon. DD5 had most exposure, as she kept losing her mask. (mental note, find the mask lanyards that are around here somewhere!) She literally was losing 2 -3 a day by the end. She sounds a bit congested to me maybe today, barely, but with allergies that isn't unusual at all. Probably will test them all tomorrow, and again 2 days after that?

On 7/1/2022 at 3:27 AM, Ausmumof3 said:

I was the first one positive and isolated the first few days. Then dh and ds tested positive, so we stopped isolating. We all had relatively mild cold symptoms—congestion, slight cough, sore throat (dh only). I opened windows for fresh air, wiped surfaces more frequently, and usual handwashing,etc. Dd never did get it despite being exposed to the rest of us. She tested every other day and was always negative. 
I would think your dh would be ok to be out after 7 days if he’s masked for a few more days. I’m still testing positive after 19 days but have no symptoms….I’m not sure with omicron that the positive tests later in infection, especially with symptom resolution are indications of contagiousness….I would bet they are not. 

On 6/13/2022 at 11:10 PM, ktgrok said:

Now I'm wondering how soon he can catch it again? He is supposed to go to DefCon, aka "Hacker Summer Camp", in August. In Las Vegas. I am...not thrilled. He's not speaking at that one, and I'm not sure honestly why he thought it was smart to go to it, although when he signed up for it masks were still mandated on planes.

Just curious what type of mask you all wear?  Has he been wearing a KN94 or greater?  Did he keep it on the entire flight and did he only take it off to speak, or was there eating at the conference as well?  I am just wondering as we have masked the entire time until a few weeks ago (with KN94s) as I homeschool my niece who has cancer.  She just finished treatment after 2 1/2 years, and we are on summer break, so I have not been wearing my mask as consistently.  We have not had Covid yet, but I am thinking we will get it at some point, but I was thinking the masks really did help.  But we were very consistent with wearing them and never took them off in public.  

15 minutes ago, mjbucks1 said:

Just curious what type of mask you all wear?  Has he been wearing a KN94 or greater?  Did he keep it on the entire flight and did he only take it off to speak, or was there eating at the conference as well?  I am just wondering as we have masked the entire time until a few weeks ago (with KN94s) as I homeschool my niece who has cancer.  She just finished treatment after 2 1/2 years, and we are on summer break, so I have not been wearing my mask as consistently.  We have not had Covid yet, but I am thinking we will get it at some point, but I was thinking the masks really did help.  But we were very consistent with wearing them and never took them off in public.  

Kf94, but yes, there was eating. He admits he was not as good about masking as normal - they had food in the halls in the evening, so he'd take it off to eat, then get caught up in conversation with someone and forget to put it back on. That happened more than once. Plus they at an indoor restaurant one evening, when they were all hungry and didn't know where else to go. 

so, yeah, I'd blame this on taking off the mask. He did keep it on on the plane, just sneaking bites of food here and then under it, and quickly taking a sip by pulling it down for a second. But even wearing it, if you are in the same space as someone for long enough....sigh. 

2 hours ago, HSmomof2 said:

I was the first one positive and isolated the first few days. Then dh and ds tested positive, so we stopped isolating. We all had relatively mild cold symptoms—congestion, slight cough, sore throat (dh only). I opened windows for fresh air, wiped surfaces more frequently, and usual handwashing,etc. Dd never did get it despite being exposed to the rest of us. She tested every other day and was always negative. 
I would think your dh would be ok to be out after 7 days if he’s masked for a few more days. I’m still testing positive after 19 days but have no symptoms….I’m not sure with omicron that the positive tests later in infection, especially with symptom resolution are indications of contagiousness….I would bet they are not. 

So he’s started coming out some yesterday and we will fully de quarantine today. I think we had a few people still spread covid after day 14 in quarantine here in Aus so I know it’s theoretically possible but he’s testing negative so assume it’s unlikely now. He and DD are meant to be flying interstate to see his grandparent for the first time since pre covid in two weeks so I need to keep the rest of us clear if at all possible. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Incidentally it feels like more people are testing positive here (on the forum) than previously. I wonder if it’s a bigger wave, or if more of us who have been cautious are starting to relax? Or maybe it’s just my impression that’s wrong.

I think it's a combination of few to no people wearing masks (even if you yourself are wearing a good mask), a very infectious virus (moreso than before), and weariness about trying to live life "normally" again.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

I think it's a combination of few to no people wearing masks (even if you yourself are wearing a good mask), a very infectious virus (moreso than before), and weariness about trying to live life "normally" again.

You’re probably right.  Dhs work stopped masking about four weeks ago. He was telling my the week before he got covid how no one was masking and no one cares anymore 🙃

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Incidentally it feels like more people are testing positive here (on the forum) than previously. I wonder if it’s a bigger wave, or if more of us who have been cautious are starting to relax? Or maybe it’s just my impression that’s wrong.

I agree it’s a combination of things….mask mandates relaxed, more people back to living ‘normally’, and an extremely contagious variant. I currently know more people with Covid than I have the entire pandemic. At least here, it seems to be getting those of us who have previously  been more cautious…..everybody else has already had it. Thankfully, I don’t know anyone who has had anything but mild symptoms…..even older people who would have been much higher risk. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HSmomof2 said:

I agree it’s a combination of things….mask mandates relaxed, more people back to living ‘normally’, and an extremely contagious variant. I currently know more people with Covid than I have the entire pandemic. At least here, it seems to be getting those of us who have previously  been more cautious…..everybody else has already had it. Thankfully, I don’t know anyone who has had anything but mild symptoms…..even older people who would have been much higher risk. 

Do y'all feel as though people are being more transparent about their illness at this point?  Still feel like people being secretive about it.

Maybe I just think they should be more transparent so we could be more able to try to protect ourselves. I guess people didn't advertise getting the flu or strep in the past. Or did they? 

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

Maybe I just think they should be more transparent so we could be more able to try to protect ourselves. I guess people didn't advertise getting the flu or strep in the past. Or did they? 

For strep, my husband worked from home to his best abilities for a week. His immediate boss didn’t say anything so his colleagues won’t know unless they ask him. For flu, people went to office after taking OTC medication. My husband went to office, had a fever and was told to go home and work from home the next day. 

59 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

Do y'all feel as though people are being more transparent about their illness at this point?  Still feel like people being secretive about it.

A lot of people around me, who are normally very cautious, went for Summer Vacations, family reunions, graduations etc and gave up masking because of the hot weather outdoors and got Covid. There is liberal work-from-home policy here and all of them openly say that they have Covid and are staying home for a couple of weeks. In fact, I was able to direct a couple of them to get Paxlovid as soon as I heard about it, thanks to the information on this forum. Most of them did not know about the existence of this drug and that certain preexisting conditions makes them eligible for treatment.

• Like 1

I think travel is a lot of it - people can only go so long witout visiting relatives or traveling for work, etc. And people are no longer staying home when sick. Heck, on the holy post podcast he talks about how his family caught Covid while on a river cruise, and then were hanging out in airports, on buses, etc coughing with Covid. 

Oh, and it seems anectdotally on here this strain is lingering longer, meanwhile the CDC guidelines were shortened, so more people who ARE following guidelines but are still contagious going out and about. 

The idea of being clear at 5 days came from a study of healthy 20 something college students....when the studied middle aged adults the results were very different - less than half cleared at 5 days. And it was close to 20% I think that were still positive at day 10. 

• Like 1