Menu

Putting together a routine for a 9 year old boy...

Hi Everyone,

Please share your best tips for putting together a school routine for a VERY SQUIRMY (and school-resistant) 9-year-old boy.   He does a lot better when he knows what to expect each day, so I would like to put together a routine for him and just "stick to my guns" about it for a few days.

Which do you find is most successful?  To do all of your "desk work" first?  To do all of the content subjects first (history, science, read aloud, bible, etc.). Or  maybe to alternate between those things that are at the desk (copywork, spelling, math) and subjects that are more listening-based (history or literature, etc.) 

I honestly had to color code a weekly schedule for ds still at that age.  Everything in green was active work.  Everything in white was writing/reading work.  It helped me create a balance and focus opportunities: keeping the concentration time short and the active time long.

For history & science, what worked best was giving him an activity that went along with the oral lesson.  I'd start the activity with him and tell the material as he did it.  I saved strictly audio for in the car or over meals.  We still do that, really.  Usually it's just he and I for dinner so I put on something interesting on a podcast or youtube.

• Like 2

Make a stack with all the day's work! Put each book away as it is finished.

We made this change 3 weeks ago that made a huge difference. Our school days are 60-90 minutes shorter. He finds it so motivating to see the stack get shorter. My older kids found lists motivating, but that did nothing for him. He's 10 and very school resistant. 

We followed a schedule/routine for years, mixing up short lessons of different types, but this has been a game changer. My days used to feel like hand-to-hand combat uphill.

Emily

• Like 4

Broadly speaking, our days look like this:

Morning time: I read while they colour, build with Lego, eat breakfast or even jog on the treadmill.  I sometimes ask them to narrate, answer questions or recall times tables if I feel like they need a break from just listening, or if I'm not sure that they're listening well enough.  I sometimes include a bit of physical activity - "How many push ups can you do?  Who can plank for the longest?" to help the boys manage their energy.

Outside time: They go play outside for as long as they like, knowing that when they decide to come in it will be time for independent work.

Independent work: The olders do their math, grammar, reading, writing (I'm available to help as needed).  I do phonics and a math game with the youngest.  If there is time left over before lunch, it's free time.

Lunch.  More play time if independent work was finished, otherwise finish it off.

Afternoon loop: They know this is school time but it's variable according to what I think we need.  It might be art, science, literature discussion, poetry tea time, a fortnightly co op with friends.

They have a checklist each - I put the relevant pieces on for each day and they can move them to the "done" column as they finish.  It helps them to know what's coming.

We start before 8 and finish around 3, but there are several hours of playtime on the way through. 

We use a workbox approach. He has a rolling cart with several drawers; a different component goes into each (a mix of desk/wherever, rigorous/straightforward, & various subjects). He chooses the order in which he completes his boxes. There was a bit of a learning curve initially, but it has worked out really well overall. 

You don't say if he is oldest, youngest, or only. That might change my answer. However, when my oldest boy was 9, I made him a chart for what subjects needed to be covered each day and by what time, but let him choose which order he completed them. Subjects that required my help occasionally had to be  shuffled as the events of the day dictated (don't ask mom to do your English oral drills while she is in the garden or on the phone), but he otherwise had freedom to do as he desired. Some days he wanted to get all the easy work out of the way immediately, and sometimes he trudged through harder stuff and saved "the best for last". Which is, when you think of it, how many of us approach our days.

• Like 1

I have a DS somewhat like this, but mainly resistant to one or 2 subjects. He could read about history and look at maps all day and be thrilled, haha. 

I write out a list of the day’s subjects on a notepad. We alternate - he chooses, I choose, and we go back and forth, crossing out subjects until we’re done.

For each subject he does with a good attitude, he puts a smiley face sticker next to that subject on his list. For whatever reason, he likes the smileys and he likes having a visual of his goal to have a good attitude!

Do chores or exercise first thing in the morning--something for about 20 minutes that will wear him out a bit.

Then math. You want his 1:1, full attention.  Work 20 minutes. Play a math game at the table. Work another length of time if necessary.

Take a break for 5-10 minutes, get some wiggles out.

Do all of the ELA together next: writing/copywork, spelling, etc. Make this as interactive as possible.

Take another break. I usually had mine hauling laundry baskets, emptying dishwashers, or whatever at this mid-morning break. Feed them a protein snack here too if mid-growth spurt.

Do whatever seat work is last--no more than 30 minutes if possible. 

Lunch.

Afternoons are for read alouds (done while playing legos), history and science projects, art projects, etc.