Menu

What’s your rising 6th/7th grader reading this summer?

Looking for both “assigned” and pleasure reading suggestions. She just came off a very reading-heavy class at WTMA ❤️ and I haven’t thought about her reading for a while. We have a couple moves and other upheaval here so trying to make this easy on us. 
so far I have Raymie Nightingale and The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate though I don’t know about the latter,‘I read it out loud with DS back then.

she finished the Hunger Games series as a read aloud with her dad and we are slowing making our way through My Family and other animals (read aloud with me) 

🙏🙏for any suggestions…I should be packing not buying more books 😉 

I'm doing the summer reading list for Skills For Literary Analysis over the next year to avoid cramming for 7th grade.

The Call of the Wild by Jack London

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

Idylls of the King by Alfred Lord Tennyson

Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott

Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe

How Green was My Valley by Richard Llewellyn

Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

Shane by Jack Warner Schaefer

The Religious Life of the Negro by Booker T. Washington

Silas Marner by George Eliot

Anne of Green Gables by L. Maude Montgomery

A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis

• Thanks 1

For fun, she's reading some book called Self/Less which I haven't pre-read, it's a dystopian type book. Also the Hive series by Janet Edwards which is a kind of dystopian future but not hugely bad - I have read this series, it's fine. Still reading Warriors series and Wings of Fire series. Picked up the Art of War from our bookshelves last night! Just finished the first Mysterious Benedict Society and has had a try of the Enola Holmes series (she wasn't keen but I know other girls have enjoyed it).

For something easy but fun, the Skydragon series (Ahn Do, Australian writer) has been good. Ahn Do churns out heaps of very popular books in Australia, the kind with lots of pictures and fairly simple language, but big ideas (Wolf Girl is another - in wartime, a girl has to become friends with a bunch of animals in order to survive. It's a bizarre mix of scariness and animal love but super duper popular over here). 

For school, Animal Farm has been great over the last year, we've listened to it on audiobook and had lots of discussion. Actually we listened to The Wolf Wilder before it, which is set in Czarist Russia, and I think that was good for setting the scene in terms of where the revolution came from. 

• Like 1

Some literary ones that also make good summer reading....

The Secret Garden (really, not too old at 7th to read this)
Holes
My Side of the Mountain
The Bronze Bow (Christian content)
Summer of My German Soldier (warning...very sad...but I loved it in 7th grade in spite of bawling my eyes out). 
The Hobbit
Island of the Blue Dophins (another tear-jerker)

For fun....
Ordinary Princess (also not too young for 7th...I read and loved it at 14)
Dragonsinger, Dragonsong, Dragondrums (by Anne McCaffrey...these one she seemed to make especially for pre-teens).