Menu

There's a flamingo that's been on the loose for 17 years!

Terabith

1 minute ago, wintermom said:

Aren't flamingos wild in southern parts of the US? Maybe just in Africa. Coming from Canada, I have no clue. 😉 

No, they aren't considered native to the southern parts of the US, and are technically considered an invasive species, although apparently there is a theory that they might have originated in southern Florida and then spread from there to Africa.  But that's speculative.  

13 minutes ago, Terabith said:

No, they aren't considered native to the southern parts of the US, and are technically considered an invasive species, although apparently there is a theory that they might have originated in southern Florida and then spread from there to Africa.  But that's speculative.  

Reminds me of Kon-Tiki and Ra and Thor Heyerdahl's theories of ancient peoples making long sea voyages, but for flamingos. 😅

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Terabith said:

But there are flamingos in the intro to Miami Vice.  This does not compute.  Don't tell me that show wasn't 100% true!

Edited by Baseballandhockey
Because I wrote “this does not commute, which obviously I have no idea if this flamingo is commuting.
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Kareni said:

I see that flamingos can live 40 to 60 years. That's impressive!

(But how do they know it's the same flamingo? Perhaps there is more than one on the lam.)

Regards,

Kareni

Maybe it's tagged?  It was at a zoo before.  

Honestly, I am not really sure.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

Fun fact about flamingos:  they are extremophiles.  They can live and thrive in extremely alkaline environments that would strip the flesh from a human's bones, as well as boiling water and subzero temperatures.  

We always say cockroaches will be the things that survive the apocalypse, but I think we need to consider flamingos as well.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Terabith said:

Fun fact about flamingos:  they are extremophiles.  They can live and thrive in extremely alkaline environments that would strip the flesh from a human's bones, as well as boiling water and subzero temperatures.  

Subzero, you say? I've never seen any in even a zoo in Canada. Maybe they don't thrive on months and months of subzero temps. Very few birds do, hence them taking to the air and flying south. Maybe Canadian zoos would have to provide 'south for the winter' programs for their flammingos - that would be expensive, but I'm sure a few zoo keepers would accompany them for their southern stay. 😅

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Subzero, you say? I've never seen any in even a zoo in Canada. Maybe they don't thrive on months and months of subzero temps. Very few birds do, hence them taking to the air and flying south. Maybe Canadian zoos would have to provide 'south for the winter' programs for their flammingos - that would be expensive, but I'm sure a few zoo keepers would accompany them for their southern stay. 😅

Hey, I think "Flamingo Migration Chaperone" should be a legitimate career! 😁

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Acorn said:

I know of beekeepers who move their hives between Michigan and Florida every year.

I've seen that for bees, moving them for various reasons. I wonder whether you need specific types of bees, as they'd miss out on a dormant period they'd have during the winter months.