Menu

I might be unsure of our math sequence. Help? After Dolciani Algebra II with Trigonometry

So we have been working through the Dolciani Algebra II with Trigonometry book.  We are doing the Trig parts as well as the Algebra parts following the suggested schedule in the teacher book but I did add some additional Algebra concepts (e.g., sequences) that weren't in the schedule.

I flipped forward to see what chapters in the Alg II book (from the end of the book) are not on my schedule and what they contain--those concepts include matrices, determinants, probability and statistics.

I had planned on him doing Larson's Pre-Calculus next year. So I went to look at that TOC to make sure matrices, determinants, etc. are covered (I assumed they were, but wanted to confirm) and I noticed that there is a LOT of repetition from what we have covered this year. 

I did a quick google and one site said some kids move straight from Alg II with Trig to Calculus. This was never my plan. 

I had looked at WHA's schedule and they use the Larson text after the Dolciani Alg II text. I guess they could have just covered the Alg concepts in the Dolciani text. I have no way of knowing. 

Am I messing us up somehow by covering Pre-Calc next year?  I can't see how it would be totally bad to re-cover some of the ground again to make sure it is solid. I suppose we could accelerate if it is really easy?

Thoughts?

@daijobu

We did (and will do again with up-coming kids) the Larson pre-calc and then Larson calc. My kids appreciated the review (some of the pre-calc WAS review). We out-sourced at that point, too, and the tutor said the kids COULD have gone directly to calc (skipping pre-calc), but we've always been a slow-and-steady math approach, which has been a very good fit overall. The review built confidence, and - they know what they know, kwim? The kids described the transition as similar to the transition that happened at middle school when they moved Singapore-to-Dociani (edit: aka irregularly paced because the review was faster than the new material, but helpful in the sense of switching gears / switching math teachers / etc). 

$.02 / adjusted for inflation *grin

Edited by Lucy the Valiant
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

We did (and will do again with up-coming kids) the Larson pre-calc and then Larson calc. My kids appreciated the review (some of the pre-calc WAS review). We out-sourced at that point, too, and the tutor said the kids COULD have gone directly to calc (skipping pre-calc), but we've always been a slow-and-steady math approach, which has been a very good fit overall. The review built confidence, and - they know what they know, kwim? The kids described the transition as similar to the transition that happened at middle school when they moved Singapore-to-Dociani (edit: aka irregularly paced because the review was faster than the new material, but helpful in the sense of switching gears / switching math teachers / etc). 

$.02 / adjusted for inflation *grin

So helpful because we also did Singapore (Math in Focus) to Dolciani.  Thank you!

44 minutes ago, cintinative said:

So we have been working through the Dolciani Algebra II with Trigonometry book.  We are doing the Trig parts as well as the Algebra parts following the suggested schedule in the teacher book but I did add some additional Algebra concepts (e.g., sequences) that weren't in the schedule.

I flipped forward to see what chapters in the Alg II book (from the end of the book) are not on my schedule and what they contain--those concepts include matrices, determinants, probability and statistics.

I had planned on him doing Larson's Pre-Calculus next year. So I went to look at that TOC to make sure matrices, determinants, etc. are covered (I assumed they were, but wanted to confirm) and I noticed that there is a LOT of repetition from what we have covered this year. 

I did a quick google and one site said some kids move straight from Alg II with Trig to Calculus. This was never my plan. 

I had looked at WHA's schedule and they use the Larson text after the Dolciani Alg II text. I guess they could have just covered the Alg concepts in the Dolciani text. I have no way of knowing. 

Am I messing us up somehow by covering Pre-Calc next year?  I can't see how it would be totally bad to re-cover some of the ground again to make sure it is solid. I suppose we could accelerate if it is really easy?

Thoughts?

@daijobu

WHA did not spend much time on the trig in the Alg 2 book.  Some of it has been new for my student in WHA’s PreCal this year.

• Like 1

I remember reading somewhere that you are supposed to be able to go right into Calc from the Dolciani text. I think most people don't use the whole thing.

You're teaching it at home?

What about doing a year of both pre-calc and stats? That way you get stats on the transcript and a little more time with the pre-calc material. You could just break it up and alternate and skip over the stuff that's pure review. I was looking at a school transcript that had that sequence on it where the pre-calc year was also heavily a stats year and trig was done with Algebra II.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Farrar said:

I remember reading somewhere that you are supposed to be able to go right into Calc from the Dolciani text. I think most people don't use the whole thing.

You're teaching it at home?

What about doing a year of both pre-calc and stats? That way you get stats on the transcript and a little more time with the pre-calc material. You could just break it up and alternate and skip over the stuff that's pure review. I was looking at a school transcript that had that sequence on it where the pre-calc year was also heavily a stats year and trig was done with Algebra II.

So far I have done all the teaching at home. If we use the schedule I have, we will skip the matrices chapter and the chapter on stats at the end of Dolciani's book. I am tempted to add the stats back in since we aren't tied to a school schedule and also because I don't think that is in the Pre-Calc book. 

For next year I have the Larson Pre-Calc and the videos from Dana Mosely and I planned to continue to learn ahead and facilitate for my son if possible and if that plan fails, he can do the monthly subscription through Cool Math Guy and get assistance from them as it uses the same text.  I am not sure of our plan for Calc. Possibly Cool Math Guy or Derek Owens.  

I hadn't thought of doing stats, mostly because I thought Pre-Calc would be a full year. I guess it's possible that his pre-calc will go a bit deeper than the Dolciani text. I just finished a section not too long ago that had a ton of concepts all wrapped into one section (four different videos on Tarrou's Chalk talk covered the material in this one section.)  So I was wondering if that was because they assume more time will be spent on it later.  

I guess we can see how it goes and go through it quickly if we find it "easy" and then do stats as well.  Is there a stats that people recommend?  It doesn't look like Derek Owens offers Stats. Cool Math Guy uses Understanding Basic Statistics by Brace.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2022 at 11:04 AM, cintinative said:

So far I have done all the teaching at home. If we use the schedule I have, we will skip the matrices chapter and the chapter on stats at the end of Dolciani's book. I am tempted to add the stats back in since we aren't tied to a school schedule and also because I don't think that is in the Pre-Calc book. 

For next year I have the Larson Pre-Calc and the videos from Dana Mosely and I planned to continue to learn ahead and facilitate for my son if possible and if that plan fails, he can do the monthly subscription through Cool Math Guy and get assistance from them as it uses the same text.  I am not sure of our plan for Calc. Possibly Cool Math Guy or Derek Owens.  

I hadn't thought of doing stats, mostly because I thought Pre-Calc would be a full year. I guess it's possible that his pre-calc will go a bit deeper than the Dolciani text. I just finished a section not too long ago that had a ton of concepts all wrapped into one section (four different videos on Tarrou's Chalk talk covered the material in this one section.)  So I was wondering if that was because they assume more time will be spent on it later.  

I guess we can see how it goes and go through it quickly if we find it "easy" and then do stats as well.  Is there a stats that people recommend?  It doesn't look like Derek Owens offers Stats. Cool Math Guy uses Understanding Basic Statistics by Brace.

I take anyone into my AP Stats course at PA Homeschoolers as long as they have completed algebra II. I have students with preparation from algebra II through AP Calc BC in the class, and they all find a challenge— and support— in the class.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, NittanyJen said:

I take anyone into my AP Stats course at PA Homeschoolers as long as they have completed algebra II. I have students with preparation from algebra II through AP Calc BC in the class, and they all find a challenge— and support— in the class.

Do you still have room for next yr? My Dd’s AP Stats class at WHA may get cancelled due to not enough students and we cannot do their alternate schedule. ☹️

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NittanyJen said:

10 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Do you still have room for next yr? My Dd’s AP Stats class at WHA may get cancelled due to not enough students and we cannot do their alternate schedule. ☹️

Ah! I hope so!! That is a likely destination for my dd, but I need her to get father along in her current (self-paced 🙄) class before I commit.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

I'm not ready to pull the trigger. Probably can't afford WHA with the extra student fee, etc. anyway.  I hope more people sign up!!

22 minutes ago, SusanC said:

Ah! I hope so!! That is a likely destination for my dd, but I need her to get father along in her current (self-paced 🙄) class before I commit.

Yes, I still have room! Just be sure to cover linear forms (y = ax+b, and understanding how to translate that into the graph of a line), being able to solve for x, exponents, and the basics of logarithms (base 10 log transformations, what logs are, the ln), and working with fractions. If she can handle those things, she can handle the technical math prerequisites for AP Stats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1