Menu

Community College placement due to SAT scores

Aloha2U

Here it’s ACT, and it gets you up to for credit courses. It does not get you into calculus vs college algebra-that requires a different test. You can test out of the lower level comp scores with a high ACT  with essay, or could when my kid started. (The fact that my kid scored high enough at age 10 when we had done NO formal essay writing says volumes to me about the value of the ACT essay….)

Our CC requires an ACT or you can go take what is an ACT test without the score transferable to other places for placement purposes.  Subscores are used- 18 in English and Reading for placement into English 1- lower scores need to get into the sessions with extra help or take a remedial class. Math subscore of 22 to place into College Algebra- which is the lowest "for degree" math.  Lots of kids do not placement there!  Lots and lots in the more basic math class.  I think that's why they don't offer a lot of the higher math classes- they just go to Calc 1.  Too many kids need the lower level math, that's where the focus is.  

My kids have both placed into their correct level on their first ACT attempt.  I know several who do not, and the CC does try to offer free help, remedial classes, and extra clinics and tutoring. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Community colleges vary considerably between states and even within the same state. The best way to find out about placement in your situation is to read the website of that particular community college. FWIW: My children had to PASS the English placement test (meet a minimum score) and TAKE the math placement test (no minimum required for admission) for community college. There was no ACT or SAT option.

• Like 1