Menu

Community College Admissions

Aloha2U

Nope. Only a transcript and the parent signing the consent form if the person has not graduated high school. We didn’t need to provide SAT/ACT scores.

We did have to submit the AP score report for the guidance counselor to give credit by exam for some courses. They were willing to accept our unofficial printout and didn’t require us to pay Collegeboard for an official score report to be sent.

• Like 1

I've never heard of anyone having to provide SAT/ACT scores for community college. I mean, I've heard of people who happen to have them providing them for placement, but you can just take the CC's other placement exams - Accuplacer or ALEKS or whatever your CC uses. The CC my kid went to now allows students to self place for most things. I would definitely not encourage a CC-bound student to take the SAT.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Farrar said:

I've never heard of anyone having to provide SAT/ACT scores for community college. I mean, I've heard of people who happen to have them providing them for placement, but you can just take the CC's other placement exams - Accuplacer or ALEKS or whatever your CC uses. The CC my kid went to now allows students to self place for most things. I would definitely not encourage a CC-bound student to take the SAT.

lol, and I was about to suggest the opposite because of our CC experience -- DS#1 who graduated from our homeschool high school, but with no idea what he wanted to do, did go to the CC for the first 2 years and then transferred to the 4-year university. His SAT and ACT scores earned him a hefty scholarship at the CC.

That 2 + 2 option worked very well for DS, as it gave him time to figure out what he wanted to work towards for a degree, and he also landed a great renewable transfer scholarship to the 4-year university (result of having such a high GPA from the 2 years at the CC).

I actually suggest that unless it would be a total disaster and university is not all in the cards for the student, it's always a good idea to do either an ACT or SAT to have that score "in the back pocket", just to help keep all potential future doors open. Esp. since students often change their minds several years out from high school graduation. 😉

I know times are changing again re: standardized testing, and many colleges are going test-optional for admissions -- but some of those schools are still requiring it for homeschoolers. So it's not (yet) a simple decision of yes/no for homeschoolers on whether or not to take the ACT or SAT.

The only time I've heard of CCs requiring an ACT/SAT score was for dual enrollment. (Not my state's CC -- that's from posts I have seen on these boards from people in other states.)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 4

Two years ago, when my homeschooled son applied to our local CC (not for DE, just average senior applying to college thing), we had to provide a one page transcript (no course descriptions needed), SAT or ACT scores, and take the Accuplacer.   The admissions office said they would wave the SAT/ACT requirement for some adult learners, but high school aged applicants were strongly encouraged to provide SAT/ACT.  Especially in a home school situation. 

22 hours ago, Lori D. said:

lol, and I was about to suggest the opposite because of our CC experience -- DS#1 who graduated from our homeschool high school, but with no idea what he wanted to do, did go to the CC for the first 2 years and then transferred to the 4-year university. His SAT and ACT scores earned him a hefty scholarship at the CC.

That 2 + 2 option worked very well for DS, as it gave him time to figure out what he wanted to work towards for a degree, and he also landed a great renewable transfer scholarship to the 4-year university (result of having such a high GPA from the 2 years at the CC).

I actually suggest that unless it would be a total disaster and university is not all in the cards for the student, it's always a good idea to do either an ACT or SAT to have that score "in the back pocket", just to help keep all potential future doors open. Esp. since students often change their minds several years out from high school graduation. 😉

I know times are changing again re: standardized testing, and many colleges are going test-optional for admissions -- but some of those schools are still requiring it for homeschoolers. So it's not (yet) a simple decision of yes/no for homeschoolers on whether or not to take the ACT or SAT.

The only time I've heard of CCs requiring an ACT/SAT score was for dual enrollment. (Not my state's CC -- that's from posts I have seen on these boards from people in other states.)

Same situation, ACT scores replaced the cc testing for placement, and helped my kids earn scholarships. Additionally, my dd needed the act score for her major at her transfer school. No regrets in taking that, and several benefits. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My kid that is dual enrolling right now just submitted a one page transcript.  That did require a standardized test of some kind prior, but changed policy due to covid.  My oldest submitted an ACT score as well and he was able to use that for placement.  My daughter would have had to test if she wanted to do CC math but I have a math degree so we just decided to finish out math at home, she isn't likely to want to go in a STEM direction.

But I'd check the requirements of the CCs you are interested directly.  We looked at about 4 of them for my daughter (we're in a metro, she wanted really flexible scheduling due to extra curricular stuff) and all their policies were just a little bit different.

Edited by catz