Menu

3rd Grade Planning 22-23

AngelaR

What is everyone planning?  

I’m looking hard at doing cycle 3 of A Gentle Feast(never done that curriculum before, but we are a Charlotte Mason-y type family), with an add-on of SOTW 1(I’m a certified History Teacher—it’s really hard for me not to try to cram ALL the history in every single year…sigh), Song School Latin, Singapore Primary Math.

So I decided to not do AGF, or Song School Latin, or SOTW.  I went with a subscription to The Alveary.  As someone with two Master’s degrees and a teaching certificate, I found myself preferring a curriculum written by a team of professionals vs. one homeschool mom, even though it looks like Julie Ross has done a good job. Also, my snobby History teacher-self took a great dislike to some of the books that AGF had listed for form 1 history.  

I can’t speak to how the Alveary’s curriculum will go over with our family just yet, but I’m currently REALLY appreciating the parent-education they have available to subscribers via webinars.  They do a stupendous job of explaining Charlotte Mason philosophy AND bringing it into the current century!  

Edited by AngelaR
Update

English: Homemade reading and spelling, Writing and Rhetoric Narrative I and maybe II, plus other writing, Climbing to Good English 4

Math: Saxon intermediate 4, Beast Academy 3

History: SotW, finish Medieval and start early Modern. (It's taking us longer than a year per book, we go off on tangents. I've decided I'm not at all concerned about covering certain material in a certain amount of time. 🙂

Science: Physics for the Grammar Stage

Spanish: Debating on Spanish for Children. We've already gone through La Clase Divertida 1 & 2 and all of PBS Salsa. Dd also takes Spanish as a part-time public school student, but I feel a strong need to supplement.

World Religion: We're currently reading a storybook version of Ramayana (Hindu) and it's fascinating! I'm thinking of getting a storybook version of the Quran and something for Buddhism (Jataka tales?) Still ruminating on this one.

Art: I oscillate between simply providing supplies and working through instructions/curriculum. Maybe we'll attempt some nature journaling? (I might just be looking forward to warmer weather. More snow is in the forecast! Enough already!)

I’m going to try ds8 on MP’s accelerated 3rd grade curriculum as spine for lit, science, American history/states and capitals, Greek Myths, and Latina Christiana. He seems to be doing well w 2nd, and he’s been marinating in it w two older brothers.

Subbing out math for Singapore 4 and Beast Academy 2/3, and using Rod and Staff 3 as drill. 

Continuing with First Language Lessons 3/4, will return to All About Spelling.  Writing & Rhetoric 1. 

He’ll be at a co op twice a week that should support most of these plans (I hope!)

Extras: cub scouts, competitive soccer, cross country, track. He says he wants to try basketball…we’ll see. 

My youngest will be in 3rd.

Math: Beast Academy 4

Latin: continuing Lively Latin 1

History: Story of the World 4

Science: WTM-style elementary chemistry using Adventures with Atoms and Molecules

Grammar: First Language Lessons 4

Writing: I expect that at some point in 3rd grade we will move from narrations to The Most Wonderful Writing Lessons Ever, and then maybe Writing & Rhetoric...not certain about the sequence or timing. 

Reading: whatever books I choose (mostly I pull from the Mensa Excellent in Reading lists)

Bible: Suffer Little Children book 3

Computer Skills: something with Scratch, probably. Not sure on details.

Music: piano lessons, children's choir

This is my youngest.  Age wise he’ll be a 3rd grader, but he has ADHD so skill wise is working more on a 2nd grade level.

Rightstart Math B/C

All About Reading 3

First Language Lessons 2

Zaner-Bloser 2c

Spelling Workout B

History Quest Medieval 

Real Science Odyssey Astronomy & Earth & Environment 

Edited by Holly

So far ,the plan is:

ELA: MCT Poodle Series and Megawords 1

Math: Singapore Dimensions 3A/B

History: Curiosity Chronicles: Medieval History

Science: Considering Elevate Science or Science Fusion, but still undecided. If anyone has experience with either curriculum and wants to share your likes and dislikes, please do! 

SO far my plan is this:

Reading/writing/Language arts/Geography: The good and the beautiful

Spelling: Treasure spelling

Math: Either Saxon intermediate 3 or Horizons 2 book 2... possibly The good and the beautiful 3. I haven't decided yet what direction to go.

History: The good and the beautiful and other units studies

Science: The good and the beautiful (these may change)- Marine biology, Water and your world, ecosystems, Paleontology

Ok, i have a general plan: 

Rod and Staff 3rd grade math

Rod and Staff English grade 3 (finish 2nd grade phonics .)  Extras: McGuffy's Eclectic 3rd grade reader and Rod and Staff 2nd grade Bible for oral readings.

Rod and Staff Spelling 3rd grade 

Story of the World vol. 3 and Activity Guide (after finishing vol. 2 which we won't complete this semester and will finish  in the fall more than likely.) I use The Complete Book of MAps and Geography on the days we aren't doing SOTW, so we will continue that. 

Science: technically a chemistry year using Adventures with Atoms and Molecules and a Thinking Tree Minecraft science journal.  But she will also take whatever classes our co-op offers next year which might include units of other topics.   I also got her an Animal themed core Thinking Tree journal which we can pair with any resources like our other books and SOTW materials, but does encourage animal readings, so there will be some of that throughout the year.  We will use Magic Schoolbus and other picture books on topics to go along, 

Prima Latina  I can't believe my baby is ready to start Latin! She has loved a semester of Spanish, so I think she will like it.  I may offer this in co-op so she can do it with a group. 

Art: I haven't put together a plan yet, but there will be art.  It will include artist studies along with our history using the Usborne Introduction to art, drawing using Drawing with Children techniques covered in the past, and lots of other unplanned at this time projects... Plus co-op may have a class.  I also will look to see what Schoolhouseteachers has that looks interesting.  I often pull a unit study from some of their classes.  They have a ton of cool art classes. 

Music: I have been using Schoolhouseteachers' music plans from their "grade in a box" curriculum packs.  But we are a grade behind.  We are finishing up the 1st grade music from them now.  So I will probably just use their 2nd grade curric next year.  Dd has started some guitar lessons for now too.  I have no idea if she will be continuing that into next year, but if so, we will.  If not, we might start piano at some point. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is my second time through third grade, but with a pretty different kid, so I feel like I'm really still figuring it out. He'll be doing some stuff with big sister (who will be 5th) and some with little brother (will be 1st) and some on his own or with me. He's very capable and is taking off in reading, but we're still building writing stamina as well as general maturity (not in a surprising way for his age, though).

Math: BA 4, maybe starting 5?

Science: Science Mom Chemistry and then Biology, most likely. We are currently doing Earth Science, and it's a favorite

History: Modern American and World History using volumes 7-10 of Hakim's History of US and Volume 4 of Bauer's Story of the World

Language Arts: Still working out exactly what to do here. For literature, I'll give him a few options to get his buy-in a little. Probably Mosdos Press, homegrown lit studies from novels, and something else. For spelling, he'll be doing All About Spelling, probably levels 4 and 5. I think we'll go through the MCT Island Level to cover some grammar and sentence structure. If his literature doesn't include daily writing, I'll add in something that keeps him steadily writing several good sentences a day, building good habits and endurance. He'll keep working on handwriting in some way, probably just a little cursive a day.

Foreign Language: We've been slowly doing French for Children Primer A from CAP. I'm hoping to do that a little more consistently next year. It was a bit too tough this year, making it hard to be consistent, but I think it will be just fine next year.

PE: Probably some soccer and weekly gymnastics or other full-body sport like ninja training. 

Music: Church music, hopefully bells and piano in addition to choir. All of that will depend on whether the "worrying about Covid is over" strategy works or backfires.

Bible: Telling God's Story years 3 and 4, probably

Art: Probably should do something with this. 

Extra curriculars: Scouts (Bears), whatever else comes up

• 1 month later...

My oldest is going into 3rd grade in the fall, but she’s only 7 (won’t be 8 until the end of October). She also has ADHD and other special needs. So we’ll start with mostly grade 3 materials, but pull back when needed. 

Right now this is what I’m planning for her:

Math: Simply Good and Beautiful Math 3. She does best with a spiral approach, but she grew to hate Saxon because it’s so dry

ELA: Writing with Ease 3, First Language Lessons 3, Apples and Pears Spelling A, Zaner-Bloser Handwriting 3, and I’m thinking Exploring the World Through Story C for literature. She struggles a lot with ELA subjects, so we take each one separately and take our time to help her more where needed.

History: Story of the World 1 (will be a joint study with my next 2 kids, who will be in Kinder in the fall)

Science: BFSU/SCI, but also focusing a lot on her interests and going off on tangents where she wants

Art/Music: haven’t figured this out yet. She mostly just likes drawing videos

PE: she wants to do swimming and cheerleading 

Extra Curricular: besides the sports, she wants to try Girl Scouts 

• 3 weeks later...

After a complete overhaul of my already-planned year... we're adding in some family-style unit studies with a lot of hands-on activities added in.

Math: We're switching to TGTB, and she placed in Math 2.

Science/Nature:

• Blossom & Root Level 4 Anatomy
  • For the Love of Homeschooling Nature Study Club

Social Studies:

• Canadian History
  • Early Modern - History Odyssey Level 1
  • UK & US history as it pertains to our Canadian history
  • Canadian Geography - The Great Canadian Adventure smash books
  • World Geography - Layers of Learning

Language Arts: - LOTS of spelling practice

• Blossom & Root Level 2
  • Brave Writer Darts
  • Spelling Wisdom 1 & Using Language Well 1
  • Canadian Handwriting C
  • Sequential Spelling if it's needed

Extras

• piano
  • maybe French
Edited by AsgardCA

• 4 weeks later...

This is what I have so far:

English: Explode the Code up till book 8, Cottage Press Primer 1

Handwriting: Memoria Press Copybook 3 

Math: He has been working through TT3 but needing more of a challenge so will be going back to Beast Academy

Bible/Science/History/Art/Geography/Music: possibly MFW Creation to Greek, Beautiful Feet or Story of the World 1 with Science in the Ancient World?

Music: continue guitar

Edited by Aliyah

I forgot handwriting.  Mine will work on cursive using the A Reason for Handwriting transition book that she already has.  After that, copywork into her journals from an old Memoria Press copybook I have and a partly used cursive book I picked up at a giveaway table at a used curric sale. 

I need to make a memorywork list.  I want to include some poetry on top of whatever history lists we do.   I'll read stories and poetry and songs from What Your Third Grader Needs to Know.  I'll let her pick poems from there to memorize. 

I am going to start some Addition FActs that stick games this summer, so we will do that alongside R&S when the school year continues moving into Subtraction and then Multiplication books. 

I dug out my Memoria Press kindergarten art cards.  We will probably put those in our morning basket for looking at during memorywork time. 

And I decided to keep the animal Thinking Tree journal for another year.  I have the Dino Doodle one that is a better fit for a 3rd grader, so we will use that as her core journal for the year, probably writing a schedule that includes journal time as part of morning time each day.  

I  don't know if I put spelling on the above list, but I picked up Rod and Staff 3rd grade spelling this weekend. 

And lastly I think I forgot Bible.  I will use the Golden Children's Bible and the Memoria Press Christian Studies loosely.  I am teaching her Sunday School class this year, so I can also work some of my goals there into her whole class and then follow up at home. 

So we have a lot going on.  I need to make some type of schedule to figure out where in each week we will get all of this done.  But this is our first week off of school, and I am crafting and plotting housework goals first!