Menu

Do you ever add a soundtrack to school subjects?

Today's history section included a brief discussion of the brief Decemberist Revolution in Russia, so I felt compelled to play the song "Sons and Daughters" by the band the Decemberists as we got started. My dc are always a bit skeptical, but it is fun! I tell them.

If anyone has difficulty spelling "trouble" they get to hear the old Travis Tritt song that spells it out. Same with spelling nickel, there is a song my neighbor used to sing, "I don't want a nickel, I just want to ride in my motorcycle!" that I always belt out.

Foreign languages, of course have entire cultures' worth, so that is easy.

Science includes selections from They Might be Giants, like "The Bloodmobile" or the song about how a shooting star is not a star, it's not a star at all ..

For English I guess it isn't songs so much as poetry, well read. Like Bryan Cranston's Ozymandias or William Butler Yeats reciting "The Lake Isle of Innisfree"

It is usually so light-hearted, and often humorous to hear most of us singing along. Do you have any treasures I should queue up?

• Like 2

Not quite like that but, yes. I associate music with events so studying about the roaring 20s means hearing blues music from the Harlem renaissance, let’s misbehave/the Charleston. It was just something we did in our homeschool to emphasize the mood.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

I'm a music teacher with a near edidic auditory memory, so yes. I had long playlists of songs for basically every subject and activity until...uh, high school. 

One of my favorite memories is that when L was doing European history and illustrating it, one of the illustrations was captioned "Constantanople, not Istanbul...." 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dmmetler said:

I'm a music teacher with a near edidic auditory memory, so yes. I had long playlists of songs for basically every subject and activity until...uh, high school. 

One of my favorite memories is that when L was doing European history and illustrating it, one of the illustrations was captioned "Constantanople, not Istanbul...." 

That's nobody's business but the Turks!

Their "Mesoptamians" song made me wonder if somebody in that group was homeschooling with Story of the World. 😄

3 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

Not quite like that but, yes. I associate music with events so studying about the roaring 20s means hearing blues music from the Harlem renaissance, let’s misbehave/the Charleston. It was just something we did in our homeschool to emphasize the mood.

Hijacking my own thread for a moment to say that I was thinking of your dd and your plan for a family/senior picture yesterday when my dd showed me an Instagram filter that gives everyone Freddy Mercury mustaches. I don't think he had one on the album cover though.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SusanC said:

Hijacking my own thread for a moment to say that I was thinking of your dd and your plan for a family/senior picture yesterday when my dd showed me an Instagram filter that gives everyone Freddy Mercury mustaches. I don't think he had one on the album cover though.

Lol. I was bold enough to discuss it with DD today and she is 200% onboard with the shot *and* my idea for her parking space. #winning 🤣

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Haha 1

YES!

My son is generally not a fan of educational songs...but I have added a soundtrack and a movie to reading Story of the World on occasion.    When we learned about the Indus River Valley civilization, it started with a section on geography, and I found this aerial photography video of a section of the upper Indus River (a part that wasn't very developed), and it had this soft Indian music.  I read the chapter to my son while the video played, and didn't turn off the music.   It felt like I was narrating a National Geographic video.  It was fun and kept my son's attention.  

We did it for a few other chapters that featured landmarks I could find video of, but none of the others had music. 

• 2 weeks later...

With my oldest, there was this Reader's Digest 2-disc Spanish guitar music I always played when we were to start studying. It was the red CD. I can't find it anywhere, but still have the music in my head. When I was earning my Masters, which was usually between 11pm - 1am, it was Bach. Hearing the Brandenburg Concertos still puts my brain in study mode. 

It hasn't been quite the same with my youngest. Maybe that's why we're limping through school...