Menu

So it turns out that the left side of my body is uneducated.

Faith-manor

I mean, I am a professional pianist, and my left hand does amazing things but apparently only when near a piano. And from the wrist up, the rest of the apparatus is utterly incompetent! 😠

Signed,

The woman with the third finger of her dominate hand in a splint who discovers today that she is no good at the following things opposite handed:

Securing a seatbelt 

Mopping the bathroom floor

Scraping car windows

Whisking scrambled eggs

Slicing a bun (thankfully no trip back to the ER for running afoul of a sharp implement, but a near miss for sure)

Loading the dishwasher - at this point I think that however I toss those dumb dishes in there left handed should be good enough!

• Like 6
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

My left hand is not good at things either. (Except typing and playing piano and violin, though it's been awhile for those, and nowhere near your class.) I use my right hand/arm for almost all small motor skill tasks. My left hand/arm is for large motor skill tasks, like holding a baby or carrying grocery bags. I need the right hand available for patting the baby's back, holding it's bottle, opening doors, etc. I hope nothing ever happens to my right hand. I'll be in quite a fix.

ETA: *its

Edited by Jaybee

3 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Here is what really has me confused. I conduct left handed! Conduct! I can conduct a darn orchestra with my non dominate hand, and cue anyone on that side of my body!!! How is my brain or arm so confused that it can conduct Brahms but can't scrape a car window???? 😲

It is an acquired skill. All the left handers on my side of the family become ambidextrous not by choice. I learned to conduct with both hands though.

Since I don’t drive and normally sit at the right passenger side, I do secure my seatbelt using my left hand.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Here is what really has me confused. I conduct left handed! Conduct! I can conduct a darn orchestra with my non dominate hand, and cue anyone on that side of my body!!! How is my brain or arm so confused that it can conduct Brahms but can't scrape a car window???? 😲

It’s specialized!  It’s like the hand equivalent of the brilliant MD/PhD Research Scientist Dad one of my students had who could not figure out how to fill out a permission slip.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I read once on Instagram or somewhere equally reliable that your teeth will get cleaner if you alternate brushing with your right and left hands. I lasted about 3 days before I gave up. The only way I could use my left hand to brush was to just hold the brush and move my head. I felt ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, plansrme said:

I read once on Instagram or somewhere equally reliable that your teeth will get cleaner if you alternate brushing with your right and left hands. I lasted about 3 days before I gave up. The only way I could use my left hand to brush was to just hold the brush and move my head. I felt ridiculous.

That explains a lot about my hygiene attempts the last two days. I honestly think the hair on the right side of my head is still oily!

• Haha 1

Currently, the splint is driving me bananas. I used the excuse of "need to change the tape" which is NOT true 😁 to take it off about 20 minutes ago. Still haven't put it back on.

Sigh. This has only been four or five days. I have a minimum of three weeks of this.

I am not happy with Harry Potter. Where is my Madame Pumphrey juice so I can grow a new bone over night?????

• Sad 1