Menu

Hawaii trip - help!

lgliser

I think it depends what you are looking for. My husband has been many, many times and once my son, niece, and I accompanied him. He is very partial to Maui, especially areas that are away from the main tourists attractions. During some parts of our trip, we would be at beaches with no one else. Most of the time we stayed in a free condo (due to his work at the time) and we also spent sometime in a very rustic state park cabin. He’s also done tons of camping and surfing in Hawaii. I’m happy to get more details and recommendations from him if you would like, but I don’t think this is the type of Hawaii vacation most desire.

9 minutes ago, Frances said:

I think it depends what you are looking for. My husband has been many, many times and once my son, niece, and I accompanied him. He is very partial to Maui, especially areas that are away from the main tourists attractions. During some parts of our trip, we would be at beaches with no one else. Most of the time we stayed in a free condo (due to his work at the time) and we also spent sometime in a very rustic state park cabin. He’s also done tons of camping and surfing in Hawaii. I’m happy to get more details and recommendations from him if you would like, but I don’t think this is the type of Hawaii vacation most desire.

This sounds like heaven to me! Beaches, rustic cabin, no tourist areas with lots of crowds. 

• Like 1

Check to see if you have to be boostered first. I think they recently changed their policy. If you’re boostered, then great.

We have rented condos through vrbo, airbnb or a local real estate company. 

As to which island(s), it just depends what you like to do. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of them. We like hiking, biking and surfing as well as the local Hawaiian music scene so try to stay in areas that offer that.

Full disclosure- I’ve only been to Maui and Kauai, but I think Maui would be fun for kids your age! There’s so much to do, so many adventures, I’m sure they could find things they like. 
The TripAdvisor Maui forum has a lot of good information to read back through. You can see people’s itineraries and trip reports that are helpful. An all inclusive guidebook is a good place to start to get an overview. It does take some planning to make the most of your time.   

There are several parks/public beaches that you need advance reservations for so be on the lookout for that. That’s recent- in the last year I think, so if you’re not reading current info, double check that. 

They are strict with vaccines. Not sure about entering the state, but I did read the city of Maui now requires the booster to be considered fully vaccinated to get into indoor restaurants and events. I’m sure that could change again before your trip. 

One of the things you also

want to check is what is open? When we went, a lot of things and adventures were still closed. It’s a really fun place though and top of the list of places my kids want to go back to.  Oahu is probably more populated but also quite fun. If you can, I will definitely try to go to at least 2 of the island to compare. 

I've been there three times, but know very little.  

The first time, I went with my parents and I was around 15 and my brother was 18.  We spent about three nights on Waikiki Beach (Oahu) and maybe 4 or 5 nights on Kauai?  It was nice combo, because on Waikiki we could do some typical tourist stuff and go to Pearl Harbor.  On Kauai, we stayed in a cottage on Poipu Beach, where we just relaxed and spent time on the beach.

Another time, I went with my best friend and her family, although my friend and I (being in college :D) actually stayed in a separate hotel in Honolulu (thinking we were so independent! :)), just a few blocks from her parents, although we'd meet up with her parents and family regularly.  Her parents rented a jeep and that was fun because we could spend our days on different parts of the island.  We spent all our time on Oahu.  A lot of it was on various beaches bodysurfing.

More recently, my dh and I went to Honolulu and stayed three nights, and then went to Maui for four nights.  

In retrospect, my dh and I probably could have skipped Honolulu and just spent our time on Maui. 

For teens, I'd probably either do a mix of Honolulu and either Maui or Kauai, or if just one island, then Maui.