Menu

Why, oh why, do classic illustrations get replaced on books?

if you obtain ex-library copies or used copies you should not have such a hard time finding original artwork. I have a personal collection of vintage books (for my dd's) that are illustrated in the exact way I expect them to be - that is, the way I read them when I was a child.

I buy a lot of books off of Alibris, so we have quite a few ex-library copies. They actually are my daughters favorites. I just bought a copy of "Lion in the Gateway." Since it is from the 60's it has a musty smell. I was Googling how to get rid of the smell, and my daughter saw what I was looking up. She asked me *not to, because she likes the smell of "old books"...I *love her :)

Um, I don't know about others, but I typically use a dictionary to look up words I don't know. ........ Do others only use the dictionary to look up words they are already familiar with??? Then why look them up???

You would be astounded at how many people think they are familiar w/ a word only to have to copy n paste definitions during a discussion so we're all on the same page.....

I think MORE people should be double checking -even for familiar words- their vocabulary w/the dictionary ;)

Um, I don't know about others, but I typically use a dictionary to look up words I don't know. Y'know, infrequent ones. I'm sure the kids today all know what an MP3 player is, but may need to look up "willow". And if all those people are going to church less, they are more, not less likely to need to look the terms up. Do others only use the dictionary to look up words they are already familiar with??? Then why look them up???

I think there is something completely wrong-headed about how words are chosen to be put in dictionaries. I always need to buy a boat anchor to find one that actually has words in it that I might need to look up.

I agree with this when it comes to simple words like body parts and I agree with Peek too because some times a familiar word has a lesser not so well known meaning for it or there is the need or want to look for the origin of the word.

I can see the need to have a dictionary that has the word pe.nis if one needs or wants to know the origin of the word. However how many 4-11 year olds need or want to know the origin for the word pe.nis? For most body part words there is only one meaning so there is no need to look up the lesser meaning of......

I would wager that most kids reading in first through 6th know what body parts are named what and probably many of the less proper names for body parts. Doesn't s*x ed in public school make sure of that and if s*x ed fails them then the Lord of the Flies culture of ps will fill that gap, if parents are not responsible enough to teach body parts when a child is a preschooler. I just don't see the need to exclude a dictionary because it does not cover body part words, which in my opinion, for what it is worth, would fit better in a children's dictionary of science and health words. We had a couple like that.

Edited by RebeccaC

It's all too similar to the experience of hearing a song you grew up with being covered in today's music scene.

I see what you're getting at, although I personally wouldn't draw that similiarity. Children's literature is near and dear to my heart; contemporary music is...not. (I don't even recognize about half the songs you listed.) Losing the simplicity and beauty of classic illustrations saddens me, because I value simplicity and beauty. I don't associate those words with most pop/rock, though.;)

This is minor in the grand scheme of things, of course, but...Isn't it sad when classic children's books are republished with different illustrations/covers than the original? Is the assumption that the "old" pictures are too dated and won't attract today's children? Example: Lois Lenski's renderings of Betsy, Tacy, and Tib are what belong on the cover of the books. Not a cutesy substitute by a less-talented, more "contemporary" artist.

Yes, book covers matter to me. Odd as it may be, there are times when I decide against a book purchase because I'm annoyed by the cover. I love Penguin Classics for that very reason; the chosen cover prints are usually appropriate and tasteful. Although, in order to have the excellent Pevear/Volokhonsky translation of Anna Karenina I broke down and accepted the ridiculous close-up photo of a woman's bare knees.:001_rolleyes:

Yes Colleen, I'm with ya!! I prefer the older graphics on books for the very reason you stated some people would not prefer it. I'd rather have that than some of the "contempory" stuff.

The older Abeka readers are good examples. Not that their current pics are bad, but in some of the books the artists' rendition from years ago is so much more creative and detailed...I prefer that.

I can't speak to that since I haven't heard most of these songs.

I see what you're getting at, although I personally wouldn't draw that similiarity. Children's literature is near and dear to my heart; contemporary music is...not. (I don't even recognize about half the songs you listed.) Losing the simplicity and beauty of classic illustrations saddens me, because I value simplicity and beauty. I don't associate those words with most pop/rock, though.;)

Then you would definitely want Other as an option if I posted a generalized poll related to this topic. LOL

... and I agree with Peek too because some times a familiar word has a lesser not so well known meaning for it or there is the need or want to look for the origin of the word.

actually, i was speaking about people simply having the wrong definition for a word. I come across a lot of people that tend to decide on what a word means [or does NOT mean] and that's it, lol. It's easy to get introduced to a word being used incorrectly on a regular basis, and feel comfortable enough that we know the meaning from that [incorrect!] context.

but yeah, even lesser known definitions are important too.

actually, i was speaking about people simply having the wrong definition for a word. I come across a lot of people that tend to decide on what a word means [or does NOT mean] and that's it, lol. It's easy to get introduced to a word being used incorrectly on a regular basis, and feel comfortable enough that we know the meaning from that [incorrect!] context.

but yeah, even lesser known definitions are important too.

I got what you meant about the miss use of a word and just add on to the reasons of lesser known meanings and word origins ;) Ya know a three strand cord......

Log cabin in a pastoral setting then quick to a wide angle pan of the prarie. Slowly a band of armed robots from the future stealthily emerges from tall grass. Cut to black. Bold words flash one at a time on the screen. "LITTLE" "HOUSE" "ON" "THE" "PRARIE" Back to log cabin. Deep, booming voice-over, "Little House, Big Adventure. Coming soon to a theatre near you."

Is that why?

Ummm, yeah, that's why. Now I'm askaird.

Is the voice-over the echo-y kind? (kind? kind? kind?...)

I don't understand. The changing of the cover doesn't affect the content of the book so why be bothered over it?

Elaine, CLEARLY you don't have your living room decorated in Kids Book Cover Art.

Like, um, some of us.

Ok, me.

:D

If you did, you would understand the sheer ANGST it causes. The sheer slap of SHOCK you feel when you find that, say, Gone-Away Lake's cover art (Joe and Beth Krush) has been replaced by a PHOTOGRAPH! Ack! Ack!

But wow, I just found a replacement that pleases me. Gone-Away's new Odyssey editions have new cover illustrations by my gal Mary GrandPre. Oh joy! And the Krushes are still featured inside, of course. Inimitable.

Here and here.

Thanks for the thread, Colleen. I'm pleased to have found this. And I share your general displeasure 99.9% of the time! LOL

I've been mulling over this one and I usually land on the side of the traditionalists but I have to say that this time I don't. While I tend to prefer the classic illustration that I associate with the book there isn't anything sacrosanct about it. It doesn't alter the contents of the book at all. I notice that Puffin recently reworked some of their covers and I found the illustrations charming. Lucy Childs, whose work I enjoy, illustrated the cover of, "Anne of Green Gables" and I grabbed it.

0248081410879_M.jpg

And I shocked myself recently by falling in love with a copy of, "Alice in Wonderland", illustrated by Alison Jay instead of John Tenniel. Understand that this is my favorite book and Tenniel's are some of my favorite illustrations ever.

0803729405.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V62369148_.jpg

Thanks for the info about the, "Little House", illustrations. I had no idea and will be on the look out for a copy.

Gosh, I didn't think I had a dog in this fight, but then I saw the Anne of Green Gables illustration. Really, Zelda? You like this? And I always enjoyed reading your posts, had such respect for you. Now? Things will never be the same in my little one-sided friendship, Zelda post-enjoying world...:glare:

Gosh, I didn't think I had a dog in this fight, but then I saw the Anne of Green Gables illustration. Really, Zelda? You like this? And I always enjoyed reading your posts, had such respect for you. Now? Things will never be the same in my little one-sided friendship, Zelda post-enjoying world...:glare:

:001_huh:

:lol:

I do! I love Clarice Bean and super-love Charlie and Lola. How could you not?

charlieandlola460.jpg

It might help that I'm not especially attached to any particular edition of Anne.

The ones I have a preference for is in bold. We talk about the original songs quite a bit. I love You Tube for this :)

Originally Posted by Apiphobic viewpost.gif

Life is a Highway - Rascal Flatts or Tom Cochrane

The Tide is High - Atomic Kitten or Blondie

American Pie - Madonna or Don McClean

What's Going On - Cyndi Lauper or Marvin Gaye

American Woman - Lenny Kravitz or Guess Who I love both of them!

The First Cut is the Deepest - Sheryl Crow or Cat Stevens I actually like the Rod Stewart version the best...that is the "original" to me.

Lovesong - Death Cab for Cutie or The Cure (NOTHING beats the Cure!

Hurt - Johnny Cash or Nine Inch Nails

Billie Jean - Chris Cornell or Michael Jackson...this one is close for me though

Kid A - John Mayer or Radiohead

Working Class Hero - Green Day or John Lennon

Jolene - The White Stripes or Dolly Parton

Landslide - Dixie Chicks or Stevie Nicks

My Humps - Alanis Morissette or Black Eyed Peas

Comfortably Numb - Scissor Sisters or Pink Floyd

Message in a Bottle - John Mayer or The Police

Wicked Game - HIM or Chris Isaak

Leaving on a Jet Plane - Chantal Kreviazuk or John Denver

I like the Rod Stewart version, too.

My dc abhor listening to Rod Stewart though, so ... I crank it up sometimes just to torture them. :D

Maybe I'm getting too hokey...

The cover doesn't change the world that is in the book...that book world is in there forever and ever. I think my relationship with a book changes with every reading. I notice something I haven't noticed, connected a dot that hadn't been connected.

A "changed" cover changes my memories of a book. When the cover changes, there is not that spark of recognizing an old friend. I react to what I am seeing and not to my memories of a book, and my memories of the book world.

It is a small thing, yes. But books were my biggest passion as a child so there are huge memories associated with books and reading and memories of book worlds.

I ran into this when I wanted to get my daughter the Betsy books by Carolyn Haywood for her birthday. The covers had all been replaced with "modern" kids, and then the insides still had the "old-fashioned" illustrations. Honestly, it just looked stupid. Luckily, I was able to get a lot of 7 of the original hardcover books on ebay.

Tara