Omicron anecdata?

Not_a_Number

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, KSera said:

How’s your mom @Spryte?

Thanks for checking! I’m awaiting a call from the doc, he’s checking on her today, but the nurses say she’s doing pretty well. She sounds exhausted when they help her call me. She’s not using the phone on her own right now so it’s hard to get a read. Dementia and isolation don’t mix, so I can’t tell if it’s a dementia issue or a sick issue. Overall, I think she’s weathering it well.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 4

40 Australian olympians have tested positive for covid at this point. If there are 40 just on the Australia team, you know it's a lot more overall. Australia said half the PCR tests they've run have come back positive for covid or flu. They've only run a total of 84 though.

Over 40 athletes test positive for COVID as virus rips through Australian Olympic team

It's a bit frustrating to read about their supposed protocols to limit spread. They sound very proud about the fact they are only doing dinner in the dining hall and think it "has helped us to continue to get through the competition and probably gave us a significant advantage over other countries.”

I don't know if 40 athletes positive is a success story.

I also wonder about the two swimmers who have collapsed poolside at this point. Is that a typical number in an olympics? Considering swimming is one of the sports that has been most heavily impacted by covid as far as we know.

• Sad 7

Several triathletes falling ill, too, with GI symptoms. From AP

“We’re thinking what everyone is thinking: that it’s probably the river. But we don’t know. It could be the river, it could be the chicken,” Tveiten told NRK. “The doctor is leaning toward the possibility of food poisoning. That’s what the symptoms suggest.”

and

Swiss officials said in an update Sunday that Simon Westermann, who had been tapped to replace Briffod, also had to withdraw because of a gastrointestinal infection. Westermann had not participated in any swims in the Seine, the statement said.

It's either the river or food poisoning. No other possibilities.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

31 minutes ago, Amoret said:

It's either the river or food poisoning. No other possibilities.

I was seeing that about the Belgian swimmer who had to withdraw as well despite the river having tested safe when she did her swim. Have they even tested any of them for Covid? 

perhaps a good time to reshare:

Certain people end up feeling more like they have food poisoning than anything else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, KSera said:

40 Australian olympians have tested positive for covid at this point. If there are 40 just on the Australia team, you know it's a lot more overall. Australia said half the PCR tests they've run have come back positive for covid or flu. They've only run a total of 84 though.

Over 40 athletes test positive for COVID as virus rips through Australian Olympic team

It's a bit frustrating to read about their supposed protocols to limit spread. They sound very proud about the fact they are only doing dinner in the dining hall and think it "has helped us to continue to get through the competition and probably gave us a significant advantage over other countries.”

I also wonder about the two swimmers who have collapsed poolside at this point. Is that a typical number in an olympics? Considering swimming is one of the sports that has been most heavily impacted by covid as far as we know.

Totally missed all this.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KSera said:

That's almost 10 percent of the Australian athletes apparently (460?). That would not be insignificant, especially as they appear to be a bit more on the cautious side. Wonder what's happening on other teams. So much for this being post-covid... And yes, I've wondered about the swimming collapses.

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Totally missed all this.  

Me too. There were a few stories very early on, but almost radio silence on all major news outlets regarding anything covid-related since the opening ceremonies. I did hear that one swimmer had collapsed, but hadn't heard about the second.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KSera said:

This answered the question that was in my mind.  That is pretty insane that there is no rule on not competition if you have Covid. I get it, most people are over it and don't care.  And I know how it would be totally heartbreaking to have something you trained 4 years for ruined, but my gosh there so be a bit more in place to protect people.

There are no mandated restrictions on their movements or involvement in competition.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Also from the article:

In an interview with Nine, Pallister described taking a rapid antigen test 24 hours before she was due to swim her 1500m heat and watching with dread as a faint, second red line appeared on the little white stick.

She pulled out of the race to conserve her energy for the 200m relay and recovered well enough two days later to take her place in the winning quartet, which set a new Olympic record.

and

Australia’s BMX gold medallist Saya Sakakibara is another athlete who caught COVID and kept on pedalling. She tested positive at the start of her competition week, but still managed to produce a winning ride at the Saint-Quentin-en Yvelines course. She leaves with much better memories than from Tokyo, where a heavy crash ended her Games in an ambulance.

If they can win golds while ill with Covid, then no one has any excuse to stay home from work, or school, or ask for any accommodations,  right? The follow up long covid stories will be unlikely to make the headlines.

Edited by Amoret
  • Like 1
  • Sad 8

This is horrible news:

Mask ban in Nassau County, New York passes along party lines, 12-0 (7 abstentions). It makes wearing a mask a misdemeanor (with unclear health and religious exceptions) and gives police the power to fine people wearing a mask $1,000 and sentence them to jail time.

😭

I can't even imagine what we would be doing if we lived there, which is the state that disabled, chronically ill, and people who care about protecting their own and other's health that do live there now find themselves in. There's a lot of despair in a lot of people over this today. What kind of world is this? 😢 I'm angry at anyone who gave cover to these laws being enacted under "anti-Semitic protestor" pretenses. That's absolute baloney and you don't throw vulnerable people under a bus to score political points (except apparently a lot of people do).

• Sad 4

re: mask ban

This is the current city of New York Health Department mask guidance:

image.thumb.png.ccb5d0d7217a78039ff532b421205d98.png

Yet at the same time you can be jailed and fined $1000 for following health department guidance. Make it make sense. 😩

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, KSera said:

This is horrible news:

😭

I can't even imagine what we would be doing if we lived there, which is the state that disabled, chronically ill, and people who care about protecting their own and other's health that do live there now find themselves in. There's a lot of despair in a lot of people over this today. What kind of world is this? 😢 I'm angry at anyone who gave cover to these laws being enacted under "anti-Semitic protestor" pretenses. That's absolute baloney and you don't throw vulnerable people under a bus to score political points (except apparently a lot of people do).

Do you have a link to an article on this?  I can't find a good one and I want to send it to some people in the area.

16 hours ago, KSera said:

re: mask ban

This is the current city of New York Health Department mask guidance:

image.thumb.png.ccb5d0d7217a78039ff532b421205d98.png

Yet at the same time you can be jailed and fined $1000 for following health department guidance. Make it make sense. 😩

I was just coming here to post about this and don’t have an article. It was on a Covid cautious FB page I follow. This is insane. 

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Do you have a link to an article on this? 

Here's One

https://dailyvoice.com/new-york/nassau/nassau-county-criminalizes-mask-wearing-amid-rise-in-covid-19-cases/

On Long Island, the Republican-controlled Nassau County Legislature passed the “Mask Transparency Act” by a vote of 12-0 on Monday night, Aug. 5. All seven Democrats abstained from voting.

The bill makes it a misdemeanor for anyone 16 and older to wear a face mask in public spaces in the county. It also gives private businesses the right to prohibit masks on their premises.

It grants exceptions for health or religious reasons, though that distinction will be determined by Nassau County Police. It was not immediately clear how the law would be enforced.

Violators could face up to a $1,000 fine and/or a year in jail.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Amoret said:

It grants exceptions for health or religious reasons, though that distinction will be determined by Nassau County Police.

Because police are such cool-headed arbiters of health issues. 🤬 Like when teens with invisible medical issues sit on currently empty benches marked for older people to rest and such. And because when masks were REQUIRED, police were so hot and ready to jump in and make people wear them!

• Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Because police are such cool-headed arbiters of health issues. 🤬 Like when teens with invisible medical issues sit on currently empty benches marked for older people to rest and such. And because when masks were REQUIRED, police were so hot and ready to jump in and make people wear them!

Right??!! It’s infuriating and obviously will lead to profiling in the way it is enforced. 

I read the democrats who abstained did so because they were holding out for some revisions, but instead it was just voted through as it was. Seeing the pictures, I don’t know how those people could look out at that council room filled with people with disabilities and high risk conditions wearing masks to protect themselves and petition to be “allowed” to keep doing so and just say “screw you all, you can just stay home or die.” 🤬

• Sad 5

Shame on those abstaining, and shame on the leadership of Mandy Cohen, Ashish Jha etc. for downplaying (ignoring) masking. If leadership had regularly advocated for masking (and not only twittered unmasked shots of themselves in crowded indoor settings or even nursing homes during "cold/flu" season), we wouldn't be in this situation. Many people will rather take the risk of catching covid than risk getting stopped and questioned by police...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Mom_to3 said:

Shame on those abstaining, and shame on the leadership of Mandy Cohen, Ashish Jha etc. for downplaying (ignoring) masking. If leadership had regularly advocated for masking (and not only twittered unmasked shots of themselves in crowded indoor settings or even nursing homes during "cold/flu" season), we wouldn't be in this situation. Many people will rather take the risk of catching covid than risk getting stopped and questioned by police...

Did the city council not even talk to the health department? (I’m guessing not.) I think health departments need to be part of stepping up also to make clear this is not okay in any way. 

6 minutes ago, KSera said:

Did the city council not even talk to the health department? (I’m guessing not.) I think health departments need to be part of stepping up also to make clear this is not okay in any way. 

Like they care. People routinely pick up Covid in the hospital, and hospitals refuse to change policies, but the health department is mum about it.

If this was literally ANY OTHER disease that we were spreading in hospital, infectious disease people would be crapping their drawers.

A cardiac rehab unit? facility? near us has apparently been mass infecting their fragile patients with covid lately and still no masks.

And between this and all the threads lately about how people get stuff done (or can’t anymore), we’re back to this not being a world I care to inhabit anymore. It’s inhuman.

Just a few minutes ago I used the search on FB to find a specific page I follow (because I had to Google something that page said, and I took too long, so my feed reset). It told me that it had no information about that, but a few minutes later, it sent me a FB message with a bunch of overly literal facts about the subject of the page. But not the page. I told it to go away. It said it would be there when I needed it.

I just can’t. And yes, I have someone to talk to about this. 

• Sad 2

There are still some voices of reason out there...

ARE YOU SERIOUS? COVID-19 HASN’T GONE AWAY? (The John Snow Project)

"Perhaps one of the biggest calamities of the COVID-19 pandemic was robbing people of one of the most effective forms of protection: respirator masks. Many people believe masks don’t work, or if they do that they primarily protect others from infection and don’t protect the wearer. This belief is completely unfounded and wholly wrong. Respirators have long been used to protect people working with some of the most dangerous pathogens imaginable, and FFP3/N99 respirators have been shown to offer up to 100% protection against SARS-CoV-2 in healthcare settings19. Imagine how many lives might have been saved and how many cases of Long Covid could have been avoided globally if people had been told that a well fitted mask of the correct grade (N95/FFP2 or higher) can offer complete protection against infection. We don’t need a magic bullet to solve the problem of COVID-19. We need to end the denialism that afflicts us and confront reality. We need to stop living in a comforting delusion and use the tools we already know work to minimize the impact of the disease. Masks, ventilation, filtration, vaccination, isolation, and therapeutics. As this study of hospital admission protocols clearly demonstrates20, we have the tools we need to protect human health. We need to start using them."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

What COVID-19 Does To The Body (Fifth Edition, August 2024): 500+ Studies Later, What Have We Learned?

In conclusion, we find that the disease COVID-19 is clearly not merely “respiratory” in nature, and nor is it a “cold,” as repeatedly claimed by numerous anti-vaccine grifters. The result of repeatedly infecting the population, especially the pediatric population, with the ever-evolving SARS-CoV-2 virus, will undoubtedly have disastrous results for public health going forward. Rejecting false binaries that immediate death is the only relevant metric for tracking whether or not we are still in the COVID-19 pandemic will be a key first step in setting policy moving forward, focusing on prevention instead of saturation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Summer Olympics Bonus Issue: It’s a Covid superspreader event! With a side of Ontario wastewater stragglers

"I’ve gathered a whole lot of commentary and reporting around these Covid Olympics below. Dig in and be disgusted.

I’ve also rounded up a (probably) final bunch of straggler posts around the ending of the provincial Covid wastewater monitoring program in Ontario, where I live. Also dig in and be disgusted. We should expect more of the same kind of denialism and active attacks on public health."

DH tested positive today.
I'm thinking I'll take a test tomorrow.

Our house is such that isolation is virtually impossible; our weather is such that keeping the windows open is expensive, but I'm doing it intermittently when DH is downstairs.

Air purifiers are blasting. Soup is made and as long as the electricity holds, can be eaten hot.

• Sad 8

I wonder how all the other athletes he came into close contact with since Tuesday morning feel about this...

"Shortly after he finished a surprising third in the Paris Olympics men’s 200 meters Thursday night, [Noah] Lyles revealed to reporters he tested positive for covid Tuesday morning. Lyles breathed heavily after the race, received medical attention near the finish line and left the track in a wheelchair."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/2024/08/08/noah-lyles-covid-olympics-200/

Edited by Corraleno
  • Sad 3

On 8/7/2024 at 12:50 PM, Amoret said:

The result of repeatedly infecting the population, especially the pediatric population, with the ever-evolving SARS-CoV-2 virus, will undoubtedly have disastrous results for public health going forward. m

This is part of what keeps me on track even though it sucks so much. It just gets more and more difficult to live in the way that I know is best to protect our health in the long term. Not because the things we do are too onerous to keep up, but because being so alone in doing them—and not just the being alone, but knowing people think it’s irrational and inexplicable that we do so—is so isolating. It was completely different when we were “all in this together.” I feel like I can truly empathize with why Semmelweiss was driven mad by the inability to get doctors to believe him that not washing their hands after autopsies was what was killing so many women in childbirth. Poor man.

1 hour ago, 73349 said:

DH tested positive today.
I'm thinking I'll take a test tomorrow.

I’m sorry! I hope you manage to avoid it and that your dh feels all better very soon. 

9 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

I wonder how all the other athletes he came into close contact with since Tuesday morning feel about this...

"Shortly after he finished a surprising third in the Paris Olympics men’s 200 meters Thursday night, [Noah] Lyles revealed to reporters he tested positive for covid Tuesday morning. Lyles breathed heavily after the race, received medical attention near the finish line and left the track in a wheelchair."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/2024/08/08/noah-lyles-covid-olympics-200/

I totally lost respect for him. I watched the recorded replay right after having read about this, and he’s in the indoor preparation area right before, surrounding by athletes and others, with no mask. Knowing he is covid positive. And hugs other athletes face to face right after the race. All these athletes seem to wait until after their event to share that they have Covid, and I think that’s despicable. There absolutely will be some number of athletes who won’t be able to compete again as a result of the covid infection they get at the games this year. And likely an even greater number of support staff and volunteers affected. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

39 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

It provided an unsettling reminder that the isolation and eeriness of the prior Olympics has evaporated, but the culprit remains.

19 minutes ago, KSera said:

This is part of what keeps me on track even though it sucks so much. It just gets more and more difficult to live in the way that I know is best to protect our health in the long term. Not because the things we do are too onerous to keep up, but because being so alone in doing them—and not just the being alone, but knowing people think it’s irrational and inexplicable that we do so—is so isolating. It was completely different when we were “all in this together.” I feel like I can truly empathize with why Semmelweiss was driven mad by the inability to get doctors to believe him that not washing their hands after autopsies was what was killing so many women in childbirth. Poor man.

I’m sorry! I hope you manage to avoid it and that your dh feels all better very soon. 

I totally lost respect for him. I watched the recorded replay right after having read about this, and he’s in the indoor preparation area right before, surrounding by athletes and others, with no mask. Knowing he is covid positive. And hugs other athletes face to face right after the race. All these athletes seem to wait until after their event to share that they have Covid, and I think that’s despicable. There absolutely will be some number of athletes who won’t be able to compete again as a result of the covid infection they get at the games this year. And likely an even greater number of support staff and volunteers affected. 

I agree with this.  I want to be done worrying about it.  I want life to be like it was in 2019.  

I haven't watched the Olympics since all the talk about them getting Covid so I missed this about Lyles.  But yeah I don't think they should be able to compete with Covid and be around others like that.   I think they should have to have a negative test to come back.

21 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

But yeah I don't think they should be able to compete with Covid and be around others like that.   I think they should have to have a negative test to come back.

If they had required that, maybe people would have exercised more caution to try to ensure they would stay healthy. They could have required that without requiring anything else and it probably would have influenced behaviors and outcomes. Of course, everyone thinks they’re exceptional and not susceptible to the bad things that happen to other people. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, kbutton said:

DH said he saw Lyles mask at some points around others, but who knows the timeline of all that.

I haven't seen today's race but yesterday in the semis he was wearing a mask in the rooms before the race.  He was the only one masking and at the time I was assuming he was trying to keep healthy.

• Like 2

I agree the behavior of these athletes is despicable. I can possibly understand that they feel the need to compete after preparing for a lifetime, but there is no need to hug other athletes and infect others. It boggles my mind that athletes don't display a bigger concern about the fact that their careers are affected again and again by this ever-present virus (an issue even if there were no risk of long covid).

And yes, I am despairing, too...I would never in my wildest dreams that we would be in the situation we are in now with covid 4.5+ years into it. Our abandonment by public health, their silence on mask bans after they advocated "masking to protect yourself" in order to drop mask mandates, the lack of masking in health care facilities and pharmacies (!!), the inadequate vaccination guidelines and delays, the dismissal of those who still try to prevent infection as anxious ... Unimaginable cruelty by people who should know better. I blame them much more than the athletes...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

DH said he saw Lyles mask at some points around others, but who knows the timeline of all that.

Yeah he definitely was, and I had been paying more attention to him than I otherwise would have (I am not very knowledgeable about track athletes and didn’t know him until less than a week ago) because I had read a story about him and how he had been affected by asthma as a child and then a very serious bout with a one and one flu in 2009 and have been seen wearing a mask around the village. I thought that was great and it caused me to tune in to his races. But what I saw directly proceeding the 200 m was in an enclosed space full of other people without him having a mask on. I’m glad he was wearing one before that, but everyone who was in that room with him at the point I watched will have been put at risk. I could chalk it up perhaps to him not being aware that he could transmit it that quickly, which may be the case due to the complete failure of of public health. I still think it should’ve been required to make people aware that he had it so that others could make their own choices, like whether to stand near him and whether to hug him while he was currently infectious.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KSera said:

I still think it should’ve been required to make people aware that he had it so that others could make their own choices, like whether to stand near him and whether to hug him while he was currently infectious.

Oh, me too, but I thought it was weird that he was both masking and not.

I suspect there is a lot more of that going on with other athletes too. The swimmers are always in each other’s faces!

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

This really brings it home and makes it more clear to think about to me.

Recent estimates from wastewater data suggest over 900,000 new infections a day in the US and 1 in 37 people currently infected. 

Meanwhile, my local station breathlessly reported our area's first case of West Nile Virus this year, along with clips of scientists testing a slew of dead mosquitoes to monitor and protect us from this scary disease that last year infected SIX (6) people in our state, and killed... no one.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Kim Ye Ji, the South Korean Olympic shooter, was apparently admitted to the hospital yesterday, but notice the difference in coverage from the two following media outlets:
https://www.barrons.com/news/south-korea-olympic-shooter-treated-in-hospital-after-fainting-374a1941 and
https://malaysia.news.yahoo.com/south-korean-olympic-shooter-viral-040807443.html

Barrons tries to lighten the matter by stating that she “fainted”, while Malay Mail has the following : “Chosun Daily reported that Kim, 31, who placed second in the 10m air pistol shooting Olympics event, suddenly collapsed while having convulsions ……”

“Her coach, Kwak Min-su, told local reporters that Kim had no underlying health issues and had been dealing with “accumulated fatigue” along with a very hectic schedule since mid-July.”

Nothing to see here people, except she just returned from an Olympics where Covid precautions are barely present.

• Sad 2

Long COVID is a $1 trillion problem with no cure. Experts plead for governments to wake up

Chillingly, most people who develop long COVID did not have particularly vicious cases of the virus initially. That’s in part because so many more people experience a mild form of COVID rather than a severe one. (Across most studies, long COVID risk does increase with the severity of the initial infection.) And each time people become reinfected with the virus, they’re at risk of developing long COVID, even if they didn’t experience it previously.

The authors note that studies on recovery from long COVID are “sparse and inconsistent.” But those that have closely evaluated individual manifestations of the virus have found recovery rates to be fairly low at one year, and only 7% to 10% fully recovered after two years. For millions and millions of people, the debilitating effects of long COVID are just that.

• Sad 4

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

The more I see, the more I think Covid has toxoplasmosis type brain impacts. I mean, I know there are some studies already indicating that it does, but seeing Jeremy Faust out there indoors at the Olympics with no mask shows he’s just one more who was all in on preventing infection due to the dangers of this virus until he got infected and then somehow I guess decided all the vascular and neurological impacts aren’t that big a deal after all? It didn’t get safer just because he weathered his first infection without getting a disabling case of long Covid. All the same impacts he has reported on are still there. Disappointing to see this happen one by one. 

^I agree. I was surprised to see the pictures of him unmasked at the Olympics...And there certainly have been more than a "handful" of covid cases at the Olympics (the Australian team had around 40 a while back).

• Like 1