Menu

Clover Creek Physics

I have two kids who will be in the 10th grade next school year. I'm looking into this course for them. It looks great and the responses from the welltrainedmind seem positive.

I am curious to learn what are the credentials of the instructor of the class? I can't seem to find a bio on her/him. 

According to her bio that I saved when my oldest DS took the class in 2016, she has a BS in physics/chemistry. She taught math and science in public and private schools for nine years (physics and AP physics, algebra, and geometry). After that, she stayed home to homeschool her kids and took over teaching a local homeschool biology class, which by now she has probably been teaching for almost a decade. She started her online class in 2015, I think, and it is consistently well reviewed (to say the least! LOL). It's still DS18's favorite online class ever. My DS15 is taking it now and absolutely loves it. He is learning so much. It is challenging in the best possible way. You will not find a better, more supportive teacher than Mrs. Jetta. On top of all that, her class is, hands-down, the best value of any online course my kids have ever taken, and they've taken a lot.

Love, love, love this class and Mrs. Jetta. 

• Like 4

Wow, that sounds great. I also have read a lot of positive reviews. I am considering having this course before the chemistry course. Right now, they're in biology, and I think the better class sophomore year is physics, and not chemistry. Strangely enough, in our area, the public schools do Bio, Chem, Physics in that order. 

It is great course! Jetta is one of my son's all time favorite teachers. Please keep in mind this is an algebra based physics course. The reason why public schools do bio, chem, physics is that most students don't have the math completed for chem any earlier. Physics is often at that point taken as a calculus based physics course. The course is very well managed and laid out so students know exactly what they need to do every day.

• Like 2

Jumping in with another "yep!" My middle son is in this class this year and loves the subject and Jetta. She has a wonderful sense of humor and does a great job of presenting the material. My son will actually reference things he's learned in the class when we are out in the real world, so I would say it's having an impact!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bfw0729 said:

Definitely convinced! Do you know what textbook she uses? I also will reach out to her. 

She uses the Conceptual Physics textbook, but she supplements daily with algebra based homework problems. It’s the best first physics class you can take. 

• Like 1

As Roadrunner said, she uses Paul Hewitt's Conceptual Physics textbook. I believe she has copies she loans out to students for the year, or you can buy your own copy. The book is super accessible, but the class is not only conceptual. In addition to supplementing with algebra-based physics homework, she has daily morning messages for students which contain a great deal of additional physics instruction. This is a much more meaty course than the textbook selection would imply. But it's a great textbook, so Jetta's additions make it the best of both worlds. 

I'd contact her soon to be put on the interest list. Her class fills up very quickly. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, calbear said:

If anyone wants a copy of the textbook, I have one and will sell it to you for $5...I am happy to help a fellow homeschooler.

On a similar note, we have a lot of the lab supplies and I'd hate to see them just go to waste.  I'd be happy to send to someone for free.  You just pay postage.

• 1 month later...
On 1/12/2022 at 11:18 PM, calbear said:

If anyone wants a copy of the textbook, I have one and will sell it to you for $5...I am happy to help a fellow homeschooler.

Just wondering if you still have this text available? I signed up ds for this course this week! I am excited for him!