Menu

Acoustic guitar recommendations

maize

Can anyone point me in the direction of  a decent quality acoustic guitar? Something that would work well for folk music styles. For a beginner, but I want an instrument that will be pleasant to play and won't need an upgrade soon.

Edited by maize

We have about eleventy-billion guitars here, but a tried and true one is DH's Yamaha. They don't make his exact one anymore, but here is the newer version of it. It's solid but basic in appearance. If the player will care a lot about appearance, you can get lots of pretty ones. It mattered to my DD, lol, so she ended up with the ridiculously gorgeous butterfly model of the Luna Fauna Series. It probably a similar quality guitar, but you pay extra for pretty. ETA: It is acoustic-electric though, so more versatile. If you think your player will want to move into electric, look at acoustic-electric combos.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Go to a guitar store and sit down and try multiple models within your price range.  It's not always a matter of "brand."  I got a Martin as a gift a number of years ago--but the reason I selected THIS one is that the body shape, the shape of the neck worked with my goals.  Martin makes a fantastic selection of guitars, but only this one was PERFECT.

Yamaha makes a nice guitar...but the height of the strings from the fretboard made my fingers bleed.  And I already had callouses.  

I am not saying that you have to get a Martin--read past that brand name.  My point is that the shape of the neck interacting with the shape of the hand, the size of the guitar body in relation to the shape of the player's body makes a difference.  

I got a beautiful guitar at high school graduation.  I paid attention to these things, and that guitar is still my favorite--over the Martin.  I keep them both, now, so I can play in different tunings.  But the one I got first was 1/10 the price of the Martin, even adjusted for inflation, and it is every bit the same quality--rosewood, silver-nickel, maple...part by part, as good.  

• Like 2