Menu

Math Fact Games that allow you to practice certain facts

TheAttachedMama

I am not sure how to describe what I am looking for.   But I will try my best.

My 2nd grade son is learning his math facts using the book "Addition Facts That Stick".   He seems to need some more practice and I feel like the math games and even some flashcards alone are not working well.   I would love to find a more fun way for him to practice.  Is there a game where I can select certain math facts for him to practice only?   

We play "Kaboom".  Write the target facts onto craft sticks.  Write "Kaboom!" on a couple more sticks.  Put them all into a mug so you can't see the writing.  Players take turns to pull out a fact and say the answer.  If they get it right, they keep the stick.  If they pull "Kaboom!" they have to put all their sticks back.  First to 5 or 10 wins.  You'll need to adjust the number of "Kaboom" sticks based on how many are playing and how many target facts are in the mug.  Works for sight words too.  As facts are mastered, replace with new ones.

I would also suggest simple stuff like dice and card games. Grab a board game that usually uses two dice but instead of using two, use one and have your kiddo add the troublesome addend on everytime. You can grab a 12 sided dice to stretch the facts. 

If you have a set of stairs, put numbers on them and have him add that addend each time. You can mix up the numbers on the steps. Same concept - draw with chalk in your driveway and have him jump to a new number and add the number. 

Start thinking outside the box with active learning so you can do it all the time quickly.  - getting restless - hop on one leg count how many times, now add 6 to it, etc.. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, daijobu said:

@Not_a_Number recommends black jack!  

I like blackjack, but maybe not so much for specific facts? 😄 It's a GREAT game for lots of addition, though. 

My math class kids were also inordinately fond of "addition war," and you could make the deck smaller to make the facts you're interested in appear more often. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, caffeineandbooks said:

We play "Kaboom".  Write the target facts onto craft sticks.  Write "Kaboom!" on a couple more sticks.  Put them all into a mug so you can't see the writing.  Players take turns to pull out a fact and say the answer.  If they get it right, they keep the stick.  If they pull "Kaboom!" they have to put all their sticks back.  First to 5 or 10 wins.  You'll need to adjust the number of "Kaboom" sticks based on how many are playing and how many target facts are in the mug.  Works for sight words too.  As facts are mastered, replace with new ones.

Yeah, we have been playing games like that.  But the thing is, my son always gets the facts right.  We are just trying to encourage faster recall time.  

3 hours ago, TheAttachedMama said:

Yeah, we have been playing games like that.  But the thing is, my son always gets the facts right.  We are just trying to encourage faster recall time.  

That will come with time.

We play Sorry.  I made sets of cards to work on facts, but the original rules still stand (if the answer is 4, for example, you go backward)

Calculadder math drills might be something you could look at if you want faster recall.  It's daily page review work.  http://www.schoolmadesimple.com/calculadder.html  Or EducationUnboxed videos.  There's a lot of rod work with the videos, but I think they could be adapted to the dot work in Facts That Stick. http://www.educationunboxed.com/addition-and-subtraction-to-20/

Edited by HomeAgain

6 hours ago, TheAttachedMama said:

Make it into a competition on who can get it first. If you don't have another child/friend (or similar ability child/friend) he can play against you. You can adjust your answering pace as needed. My kids really enjoy a silly game where everyone takes turns asking an addition question and the whole family is in a race to see who can answer first. (I did not come up with this game because I don't care how quickly my 3 and 5 year old can add they just came up with it on their own.) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Clarita said:

Make it into a competition on who can get it first. If you don't have another child/friend (or similar ability child/friend) he can play against you. You can adjust your answering pace as needed. My kids really enjoy a silly game where everyone takes turns asking an addition question and the whole family is in a race to see who can answer first. (I did not come up with this game because I don't care how quickly my 3 and 5 year old can add they just came up with it on their own.) 

I did competition drills with DD9! 😄 They were pretty fun and they really sped her up. 

On 11/12/2021 at 7:05 AM, TheAttachedMama said:

If he's had IQ testing, his processing speed scores will be in there. It may be you're seeing a processing speed issue, not a math problem. Some fact fluency will improve with time but he may remain slow if his processing speed is a disability. My dd had that and pushing doesn't help. ADHD meds can speed it up a bit. Beyond that, consider a calculator as he ages if the processing is fatiguing. Nothing we did as far as math workbooks made my dd any faster (since it was an organic issue) and I would encourage you to move on. 

Edited by PeterPan

14 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

If he's had IQ testing, his processing speed scores will be in there. It may be you're seeing a processing speed issue, not a math problem. Some fact fluency will improve with time but he may remain slow if his processing speed is a disability. My dd had that and pushing doesn't help. ADHD meds can speed it up a bit. Beyond that, consider a calculator as he ages if the processing is fatiguing. Nothing we did as far as math workbooks made my dd any faster (since it was an organic issue) and I would encourage you to move on. 

But we don’t know this is an organic issue here, do we? Some kids are simply slow due to not having them in long term memory.