Menu

Prickly Pear Fruit

City Mouse

We have Prickly Pear Cactus growing wild around our yard. I’ve thought about using the fruit for several years, but never bothered to do anything. Well, today I went out and picket a bucket full of the fruit. 

Does anyone have experience using the fruit for anything other than jelly? I’ve never made prickly pear jelly, but I’ve made plenty of jelly from other wild fruits and figure it can’t be too much different.

Look for recipes under “nopal” or “nopales” or “nopalitos”— it’s the Spanish word for the fruit and most recipes are listed under that.

Prickly pear pink lemonade is delicious.

Most people I know cook them down and put them into salsas or serve them with eggs or in a fresh salad with onions and peppers and corn and black beans and stuff.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Look for recipes under “nopal” or “nopales” or “nopalitos”— it’s the Spanish word for the fruit and most recipes are listed under that.

Prickly pear pink lemonade is delicious.

Most people I know cook them down and put them into salsas or serve them with eggs or in a fresh salad with onions and peppers and corn and black beans and stuff.

I've mostly seen nopales used for the leaves I think?

Yes, they’re called tuna in Spanish. I usually just eat them as they are, but they make a nice drink too. (Non-alcoholic kind, although I’m sure it would be a nice base too. Anyway, just blend it with some water and sugar for a nice drink.)

You could also make them into popsicles or an ice or slushy.

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 1

I used the leaves in a taco recipe once, but my family wasn’t a fan.  I’m interested to hear any recipes you like.  I’m constantly trying to get them to try new foods.  Most of them won’t taste anything new unless I serve it three times and then all the sudden they love it,