Menu

Book a Week 2021 - BW41: Fictional Librarian - Hanna Casey

Robin M

Happy Sunday! It's time to jump back on board our airship, the Pum Deg Dau o Lygrau. We are setting sail for the west coast of Ireland to visit the fictional town of Finfarran.   We will be joining Hanna Casey, our fictional librarian of the month. The series, created by Felicity Hayes-McCoy, begins with The Library at the Edge of the World and is about Hanna, who is fifty five and recently divorced, has to start all over again and moves back home to live with her mother and ends up leading the campaign to save the town library. 

Read a book with one or more of the following (but not limited to) and have fun exploring:

• Spell out the first and/or last name of the character's name - one book per letter from the title on the cover.
  • Spell out the first and/or last name of the author - one book per letter.
  • Read one or more books in the series.
  • Follow in a character's footsteps and read a book set in the country or time period of the story.
  • Follow in the author's footsteps and read a book set in their place or time of birth.
  • Read a book with the first or last name of the character or author in the title.

Have fun as there are a variety of ways to complete this challenge with plenty of rabbit trails.

Count of Monte Cristo 

Chapter 97. The Departure for Belgium

Chapter 98. The Bell and Bottle Tavern

Chapter 99. The Law

Link to Week 40

Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini and perpetual challenges, as well as share your book reviews with other readers around the globe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Dipping back into a favorite romantic suspense author I haven't read in a long time, Linda Howard, and finished Troublemaker:

"For Morgan Yancy, an operative and team leader in a paramilitary group, nothing comes before his job. But when he’s ambushed and almost killed, his supervisor is determined to find out who’s after the members of his elite squad—and why. Due to worries that this unknown enemy will strike again, Morgan is sent to a remote location and told to lay low and stay vigilant. But between a tempting housemate he’s determined to protect and a deadly threat waiting in the shadows, keeping under the radar is proving to be his most dangerous mission yet.

The part-time police chief of a small West Virginian mountain town, Isabeau “Bo” Maran finally has her life figured out. She’s got friends, a dog, and a little money in the bank. Then Morgan Yancy shows up on her doorstep. Bo doesn’t need a mysterious man in her life—especially a troublemaker as enticing and secretive as Morgan.

The harder they fight the intense heat between them, the closer Morgan and Bo become, even though she knows he’s hiding from something. But discovering the truth could cost Bo more than she’s willing to give. And when Morgan’s cover is blown, it might just cost her life."

And now reading second book kind of set in the same world with The Woman Left Behind

Jina Modell works in Communications for a paramilitary organization, and she really likes it. She likes the money, she likes the coolness factor—and it is very cool, even for Washington, D.C. She likes being able to kick terrorist butts without ever leaving the climate-controlled comfort of the control room...

But when Jina displays a really high aptitude for spatial awareness and action, she’s reassigned to work as an on-site drone operator in the field with one of the GO-Teams, an elite paramilitary unit. The only problem is that she isn’t particularly athletic, to put it mildly, and in order to be fit for the field, she has to learn how to run and swim for miles, jump out of a plane, shoot a gun . . . or else she’ll be out of a job...."

Library at the Edge of the World is waiting in the wings along with Dean Koontz Devoted for October spooktacular.

• Like 4

Last night I stayed up really late attempting to finish the Bullet Train and failed.   Unfortunately I also woke up at 6 in order to finish it so today is going to be a sleepy day but the book is done.  What a weird ride 😉 that book was.  The first 80 pages were so blah I almost gave up and abandoned it but it kept pulling me back.  In the end I liked it enough to give it a 5*.  This book about a single train ride filled with many assassins all with separate but similar agendas that are switching constantly between really dark and very humorous.  It just keeps twisting.........quite the story.  I guess it’s going to be a movie and it has potential to be a great one.  I hope they do it right!

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 4

I finished two books recently.

For my distant book group, I read The Tsar of Love and Techno: Stories by Anthony Marra. This was a collection of linked stories from the 1930s to near the present day set in Russia/the USSR/Chechen. I'd describe the mood of the stories as sad; it's not a book I have any plan of rereading but I imagine our discussion will prove interesting.

"This stunning, exquisitely written collection introduces a cast of remarkable characters whose lives intersect in ways both life-affirming and heartbreaking. A 1930s Soviet censor painstakingly corrects offending photographs, deep underneath Leningrad, bewitched by the image of a disgraced prima ballerina. A chorus of women recount their stories and those of their grandmothers, former gulag prisoners who settled their Siberian mining town. Two pairs of brothers share a fierce, protective love. Young men across the former USSR face violence at home and in the military. And great sacrifices are made in the name of an oil landscape unremarkable except for the almost incomprehensibly peaceful past it depicts.

In stunning prose, with rich character portraits and a sense of history reverberating into the present, The Tsar of Love and Techno is a captivating work from one of our greatest new talents."

I also read   Tales from the Folly: A Rivers of London Short Story Collection by Ben Aaronovitch which is a collection of stories and a few very short pieces. As with most anthologies, I enjoyed some stories more than others. This book is a companion to the author's Rivers of London series and is not a stand alone.

"Each tale features a new introduction from the author, filled with insight and anecdote offering the reader a deeper exploration into this absorbing fictional world. This is a must read for any Rivers of London fan.

Join Peter, Nightingale, Abigail, Agent Reynolds and Tobias Winter for a series of perfectly portioned tales. Discover what’s haunting a lonely motorway service station, who still wanders the shelves of a popular London bookshop, and what exactly happened to the River Lugg…"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

I think I may have (?) completed my  a-z  challenge, I just need to shift titles around a bit more yet before sharing.

Titles just begun in my book life:

Take Six Girls: The Lives of the Mitford Sisters ~ Laura Thompson, narrated by Maggie Mash (15h 51m) I sped read through a hardback copy of this a while back - necessary for this title initially, I think, because of all the photos - and decided having  Maggie Mash read this to me at a slower pace was a good revisiting option.

Recently completed:

The Splendid and the Vile: A Saga of Churchill, Family, and Defiance During the Blitz ~ Erik Larson, narrated by Matt Addis (4 ) (20h 31m) (sip listen)  While this biography-styled read is about Churchill during WWII, so many other people feature in this well-written and narrated book.  Many of the stories shared are from diaries, including excerpts from various, by in large, unknown Britons, and then from easily recognised people like Mary Churchill, and, Hermann Göring.     Extra: some gritty, and, adult encounters content.  One F-bomb. 

The Diary of a Bookseller: Bk1 ~ Shaun Bythell, narrated by Robin Laing  (4stars for the audiobook)   A diaried format is not, usually, a favourite genre for me, yet it works for this book: admittedly reading this memoir as an audiobook helped with the enjoyment factor, the skilled narration kept me listening and earnt this diary an extra star.  I can see why others would, and do, get offended by the sardonic tone Shaun uses to write his bookselling diary in; and, the backhanded slap downs he seems to take at others is not always PC.

Some of the writing is really humorous and I’m always pleased when his staff member, Nicky, a Jehovah Witness, gets her own back on this, seemingly, cantankerous, curmudgeon-y young Scotsman.  I enjoyed her rationale on why she files books where she does.    ie: For the possible filing of The Odyssey.

(Nicky)  “The Odyssey goes in the Fishing section”.

(Shaun) “Why?”

(Nicky) “ Because they’re on a boat aren’t they, and what do you eat when you’re on boat?  Fish. “

I thought the book ended rather abruptly and on a pretty sad note.   Extra: a few bawdy excerpts, and ‘adult content’ mentions about sellers/browsers of erotica.

Help, I'm Drowning: Weathering the Storms of Life with Grace and Hope ~ Sally Clarkson (e.book)  (4) (256pgs) This is a read geared for those who appreciate a faith based memoir, inspirational styled book  - and who don't have a hate on the author.   This is the first book I've read of Sally's where she talks more candidly about the struggles/differences that she and Clay have navigated through in their marriage relationship, usually it's a topic she sidesteps with the focus, more, on mothering and friendships.  I probably enjoyed the chapter that she almost apologizes for its negative tone the most 😋

• Like 4

Some bookish posts ~

Jo Walton’s Reading List: September 2021

https://www.tor.com/2021/10/08/jo-waltons-reading-list-september-2021/#comment-925786

An interesting look at the making of a historical romance book cover: Dair Devil Cover Reveal

https://www.lucindabrant.com/blog/dair-devil-cover-reveal

Re-Read-Ability

https://arghink.com/2020/06/re-read-ability/

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I came looking for this thread today because I am in need of some good, well written books that won’t stress me out. I did the 52 books in 52 weeks challenge several years ago, so this is the first place I thought to look. It looks like Library at the Edge of the World might fit the bill. Our library doesn’t have it, so I’ve downloaded  the kindle sample to check it out. Thanks so much for the thread everyone! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Re rereading article:  What keeps me coming back to a story.  The writing most of all and how the author paints the picture of the world the characters live in.   I have to like the characters, otherwise I don't really care.  I love being drawn into their story and the world they build within the book.  Do they draw me in and make me laugh or cry and think,   I love characters with humor and wit,  I love ensemble casts and how they react off of one another. which is probably why I love series books so much.  Mix in an intriguing story line with lots of mystery and surprise me with the twists and turns, sometimes spine tingling thrills.  I also like ones that really makes me think and  I want to read over and over again because I get something new out of it each time.  

• Like 3

On 10/10/2021 at 7:16 PM, Kareni said:

@tuesdayschild and @Robin M, I return to books where I connect with a character or two. So, in Linesman, I care about Ean, but I don't feel that way about the characters from the authors' other series. In Stray, I care about Cassandra, but I'm not drawn to characters in the other books by the author that I've read. In the ...in Death books by JD Robb, it's Eve that I care about. And so on....

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

I'm procrastinating and should be writing but still mulling over the scene, so instead web browsing. 

We asked, you answered: Your 50 favorite sci-fi and fantasy books of the past decade   More books to add to my stack. However I already have several books on my shelves yet to be read such as Circe, Piranesi, Three Body Problem. Should probably move them up in the stacks. 

If you're a star trek fan, Brent Spiner has written a book and a trailer shows part of his discussion with Gates McFadden.  They've aged gracefully. 

It's award season:

Nobel Prize for literature:  I could do with more readers!’ – Abdulrazak Gurnah on winning the Nobel prize for literature.The HWA Crown Awards shortlists 2021

The HWA Crown Awards shortlists 2021 - I've already added The Devil and the Dark Water to my stacks.  Sounds like a great spooktacular read.

"It's 1634, and Samuel Pipps, the world's greatest detective, is being transported to Amsterdam to be executed for a crime he may, or may not, have committed. Traveling with him is his loyal bodyguard, Arent Hayes, who is determined to prove his friend innocent. Among the other guests is Sara Wessel, a noblewoman with a secret.

But no sooner is their ship out to sea than devilry begins to blight the voyage. A strange symbol appears on the sail. A dead leper stalks the decks. Livestock dies in the night.

And then the passengers hear a terrible voice, whispering to them in the darkness, promising three unholy miracles, followed by a slaughter. First an impossible pursuit. Second an impossible theft. And third an impossible murder.

Could a demon be responsible for their misfortunes?

With Pipps imprisoned, only Arent and Sara can solve a mystery that stretches back into their past and now threatens to sink the ship, killing everybody on board."

The movement to put translators’ names on book covers is working.

Back to Agatha Christie:  The Mysterious Affair at Styles and the Inception of Hercule Poirot.  My first AC read and so far, the favorite. 

😘

• Like 4

In terms of reread ability I think I am another who falls in love with a character which makes me happy to visit multiple times.  Most of my recent rereads involve a character I happen to really like.  I think Agatha Christie is my exception!😂

I started (re)reading for the fourth time Charlaine Harris’Harper Connelly series https://www.goodreads.com/series/44857-harper-connelly and am now on the third.  I have a stack of books expiring and I just keep going.  I can’t seem to resist and they aren’t even all that good!  😂. The good news is at my current rate I will be done on Thursday.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Speaking of rereads, I couldn’t get into either Library at the Edge of the World  or Devoted, so shelved them temporarily while I resorted back to my Nora Roberts Reread.  Pulled out her Chesapeake Bay series and rereading Sea Swept.  Fits the bill perfectly.

• Like 3

Over the last few year, especially, rereads for me are usually fiction audiobooks and comfort based, late night listens with a/some good characters and a skilled narrator, others become rereads just because I'm in the right mood to revisit to that book/author/series (Peter Grainger's D.C. Smith series) and want something to listen to while my hands are busy but my mind doesn't need to be.  The outlier to all that is the KJV bible, which has become a life time reread for me.   

Favourite, or impacting, reads, thinking of books like Killers of the Flowermoon, One Child: The Story of China's Most Radical ExperimentThe Note Through the WireThe Invisible Child (which I said I'd reread but never have)  are usually one offs, perhaps because they're non-fiction (?), and there are so many 'next' books I want to visit.  

So I said all that to say this, I don't (usually) reread physical books, even favourites, but will relisten to select audiobooks.

Q: Wondering if others that reread also rewatch favourite movies/tv shows? 

(Other than a few BBC Jane Austen's, I don't  do that either.)

Edited by tuesdayschild
added question
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, tuesdayschild said:

Q: Wondering if others that reread also rewatch favourite movies/tv shows? 

I only rarely watch anything; however, I have rewatched several movies (The Martian, Shirley Valentine, Star Trek IV) and series (Dead Like Me).

My husband is the one who is a big watcher when time permits and often rewatches favorite movies and series. He generally does not have much reading time, but he has read the entire Aubrey/Maturin series three times.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

I rewatch a lot.  I haven’t been watching much television except for being in the room when DH is watching but recently stated a new hand sewing project so am going to need to either watch a bit of tv or listen to audiobooks.  Planning to watch my favorites like Magnum PI and check out old movies on Amazon.......I watch Charade last week and loved it.

• Like 3

I need to return stacks of books to two different libraries, so I'm sorting through to report on the ones I finished. I have a couple I might let get overdue, since I'm sooo close.

68. "From Fire by Water" by Sohrab Ahmari.
67. "52 Weeks of Family German" by Eileen Mc Aree. Too young for my crew, and despite the pronunciation guides, it would work best if Mom or Dad spoke at least a little German (even just a semester).  
66. "Fault Lines" by Voddie T. Baucham, Jr.
65. "Irreversible Damage" by Abigail Shrier.

64. "Beowulf" A Graphic Novel Adaptation by Gareth Hinds. 
63. "The Manga Guide to the Universe" by Kenji Ishikawa and Kiyoshi Kawabata. 
62. "Funny, You Don't Look Autistic: A Comedian's Guide to Life on the Spectrum" by Michael McCreary.
61. "The American Dream? A Journey on Route 66" by Shing Yin Khor. 
60. "Utah State Parks" by Jan Bannan. 
59. "With All Due Respect" by Nikki R. Haley.
58. "One Vote Away" by Ted Cruz.
57. "Weekend Makeover" by Don Aslett. 
56. "Saints, Vol. 2. (LDS)
55. "Written Out of History" by Mike Lee.
54. "A Time for Truth" by Ted Cruz.
53. "Scorch Trials" by James Dashner. Audible. 
52. "Quidditch Through the Ages" by J.K. Rowling. Audible. 
51. "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" by J.K. Rowling/Newt Scamander. Audible. 
50. "An Excellent Mystery" by Ellis Peters. Audible.
49. "Tales of Beadle the Bard" by J.K. Rowling. Audible.
48. "Maze Runner" by James Dashner. Audible.
47. "Wrinkle in Time" by Madeleine L'Engle. Audible.
46. "The Rational Bible: Exodus - God, Slavery, and Freedom" by Dennis Prager. 
45. "A Better Heart: The Impact of Christ's Pure Love" by Tom Christofferson. (LDS)
44. "That We May Be One: A Gay Mormon's Perspective on Faith & Family" by Tom Christofferson. (LDS)
43. "Surviving Columbine" by Liz Carlston.  (LDS)
42. "The Right Side of History" by Ben Shapiro.
41. "Guerilla Learning" by Grace Llewellyn and Amy Silver.
40. "Don't Burn This Book" by Dave Rubin.
39. "The Madness of Crowds" by Douglas Murray.
38. "The Case of the Gypsy Good-bye" by Nancy Springer.
37. The Case of the Cryptic Crinoline" by Nancy Springer.
36. "The Case of the Peculiar Pink Fan" by Nancy Springer.
35. "The Case of the Bizarre Bouquet" by Nancy Springer.
34. "The Case of the Left-Handed Lady" by Nancy Springer.
33. "Stuff Matters" by Mark Miodownik. Audible Book.
32. "Temple Grandin: How the Girl Who Loved Cows Embraced Autism and Changed the World" by Sy Montgomery. Audible Book.
31. "Uniquely Human: A Different Way of Seeing Autism" by Barry M Prizant. Audible Book.
30. "A Long Walk to Water" by Linda Sue Park. 
29. "The Kidnapped Prince: The Life of Olaudah Equiano" by Olaudah Equiano, adapted by Ann Cameron. 
28. "Journey to Jo'Burg" by Beverley Naidoo. 
27. "United States of Socialism" by Dinesh D'Souza.
26. "For the Love of Europe" by Rick Steves. 
25. "Animal Farm" by George Orwell. Audible book.
24. "The Case of the Missing Marquess" by Nancy Springer. 
23. "Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen" by J.K Rowling. Audible book. 
22. "Blackout" by Candace Owens.
21. "An Excellent Mystery" by Ellis Peters. Audible book.
20. "The Pilgrim of Hate" by Ellis Peters. Audible book.
19. "Dead Man's Ransom" by Ellis Peters. Audible book.
18. "4:50 from Paddington" by Agatha Christie. Audible book.
17. "Man in the Brown Suit" by Agatha Christie. Audible book. 
16. "The Mysterious Mr. Quin" by Agatha Christie. Audible book. 
15. "I Will Repay" by Baroness Orczy. Audible book. 
14. "Dead Man's Ranson" by Ellis Peters. Audible book.
13. "The Scarlet Pimpernel" by Baroness Orczy. Audible book.
12. "The Devil's Novice" by Ellis Peters. Audible book.
11. "The Sanctuary Sparrow" by Ellis Peters. Audible book.
10. "The Virgin in the Ice" by Ellis Peters. Audible book. 
9. "Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs?" by Caitlin Doughty. 
8. "Law and Disorder: The Legendary Profiler's Relentless Pursuit of Justice" by John Doublas and Mark Olshaker. Audible book. 
7. "The Leper of St. Giles" by Ellis Peters. Audible book.
6. "The Cases That Haunt Us" by John Douglas and Mark Olshaker. Audible book. 
5. "From Here to Eternity: Travelling the World to Find the Good Death" by Caitlin Doughty. 
4. "Not a Day Care: The Devastating Consequences of Abandoning Truth" by Dr. Everett Piper. Audible book. 
3. "The Innocence of Father Brown" by G.K. Chesterton. Audible book.
2. "St. Peter's Fair" by Ellis Peters. Audible book.
1. "The Mysterious Mr. Quin: A Harley Quin Collection" by Agatha Christie. Audible book.

Edited by Maus
Found one more
  • Like 3

I enjoyed rereading The Accidentals by Sarina Bowen; this is marketed as a young adult novel, but clearly it appeals to older readers as well.

"Never ask a question unless you’re sure you want the truth.

I’ve been listening to my father sing for my whole life. I carry him in my pocket on my mp3 player. It’s just that we’ve never met face to face.

My mother would never tell me how I came to be, or why my rock star father and I have never met. I thought it was her only secret. I was wrong.

When she dies, he finally appears. Suddenly I have a first class ticket into my father’s exclusive world. A world I don’t want any part of – not at this cost. 

Only three things keep me going: my a cappella singing group, a swoony blue-eyed boy named Jake, and the burning questions in my soul.

There’s a secret shame that comes from being an unwanted child. It drags me down, and puts distance between me and the boy I love.

My father is the only one alive who knows my history. I need the truth, even if it scares me."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

I have finished my 52 Book Challenge. I am quite happy as I barely finished last year (I think I was reading on the 31st to get the final book in) and didn't finish the year before. Part of me feels like I cheated, however, as 6 of the books were Nancy Drew Mysteries. I'm shooting for 65 books now and will keep going.

I have read or listened to some good non-fic books this past 6 weeks. I'm quite happy with having declared Non-Fic September and sticking to it (although I did read one fiction book).

Recent Non-fiction books:

So Here's the Thing by Alyssa Mastromonaco

Works Well with Others: An Outsider's Guide to..(really long title) by Ross McCammon (5 stars; I would listen to this again)

In Praise of Paths: Walking Through Time and Nature by Torbjorn Ekelund (3.75 stars)

Braving the Wilderness: The Quest for True Belonging by Brene Brown (3.75 stars)

Prognosis: A Memoir of My Brain by Sarah Vallance (3.75 stars)

Hold On, But Don't Hold Still  by Kristina Kuzmic (5 stars; I really liked this once it got passed the whole meeting Oprah and having a reality series thing)

Recent Fiction Books:

The Last Thing He Told Me by Laura Dave (3 stars, maybe)

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher (3.5 stars; triggers and so sad)

The Best of Edgar Allen Poe by Edgar Allen Poe (3.5 stars; I forgot how long and boring some of the passages were)

Nancy's Mysterious Letter: Nancy Drew Mystery #8 by Carolyn Keene (3 stars)

Abandoned:

At the Mountains of Madness by HP Lovecraft (just couldn't get into it after the first 90 mins; it went around and around; the narrator was great but hearing the same thing for the third iteration was too much)

Current audiobook:

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood by Tom Junod and Fred Rogers
I really want to like this book but, honestly, the narrator makes innocent things sound creepy (like the way he describes Fred Rogers stripping down to nothing so he could go swimming or how Mr. Rogers was wearing a revealing bath robe when Junod went to visit him in his apartment or how Mr. Rogers took a picture of Junod in the darkened living room of the apartment.) I have never seen the movie version but I hope it was a lot less creepy. 

• Like 3

On 10/15/2021 at 1:14 PM, Granny_Weatherwax said:

I have finished my 52 Book Challenge. I am quite happy as I barely finished last year (I think I was reading on the 31st to get the final book in) and didn't finish the year before. Part of me feels like I cheated, however, as 6 of the books were Nancy Drew Mysteries. I'm shooting for 65 books now and will keep going.

Woot Woot! Way to go! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1