Menu

If you have used a sit & stand stroller before

Condessa

Can you recommend one that allows a bigger kid to sit on the back seat while an infant car seat is in the front?

Many seats I have looked at allow car seats in the front or back, but when you look carefully at the pictures, the back seat doesn't really have room for a kid to sit when a car seat is in the front.  I found one model that did, but then couldn't find it for sale anywhere.  (It seems to have been replaced by a newer Graco model that does not have room with the car seat in.)  Other models don't seem to have any photos for their products online at an angle so that you can see whether there is room to sit with the car seat in or not.

The idea is to be able to let ds7 sit down and take a break on the big kid seat at the back when he needs to without having to wrangle his wheelchair as well as an infant, and to be able to keep baby in his car seat transferring between the car and the stroller.  Ds7 is older than intended for those seats, but he is under the weight limit for most models still.

Does the baby have to stay in the car seat?  I know it's not recommended because the angle isn't a good one for them, and if you can make it to a the point where you can use a model without the seat it might open options wider.  But that would mean using an alternate carrier for the first few months until both kids could use the stroller together.

We used a Joovy Caboose Ultralight.

The infant seat definitely reduced the sitting space, but it was doable.

We were able to safely strap our infant seat in with the front seat inclined one less setting than in this picture, so that meant the big kid had about 75% of the seat to sit on and only had to lean forward a little bit. Not super comfy - certainly they couldn't lounge or catch a snooze - but they could take a break from walking.

Our other option was "securing" the infant seat in the back like this picture and then having the front seat available for a big kid. That picture is actually of the Joovy Caboose S which is not the stroller we have, but people had already figured out that most infant seats would sit there safely (normally facing forward instead of backward like in the picture, and could even be strapped in (we used a luggage strap)) with the older model like ours even though it was not authorized by the manufacturer. That gave the big kid lots of sitting space, but the lip of the infant seat hooked over the seat back of the front seat, so it was still not super comfy for the big kid to lean back and relax in the front seat.

I can vouch for the stroller handling well even carrying high weights. The spring and summer when my third son was 6-12 months old, he would often ride in the front seat (not in an infant seat), and in parking lots and when I wanted to move more quickly, I would have my 3 year old (35 lbs) sit on the back seat and my 5 year old (45 lb) stand on the back platform. It put the back two in very close quarters, but for short periods, when I needed them both safely riding, the stroller had no issue handling all 80 of their combined pounds in the back.

• Like 2

I had a Baby Trend Sit and Stand Ultra when my kids were little.  Looks like they still sell it.    My kids are 23 months apart.  We used it a lot with the infant seat in the front and my son riding in the back (he HATED strollers but liked the sit/stand aspect).    We had Graco infant seats.

The front seat definitely does NOT recline enough for an young infant to lie in.  It only leans back about an inch or so. 

Main issue I had with it was the basket was really hard to get into.  You kind of had to go down between the two seats. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

I had a Baby Trend Sit and Stand Ultra when my kids were little.  Looks like they still sell it.    My kids are 23 months apart.  We used it a lot with the infant seat in the front and my son riding in the back (he HATED strollers but liked the sit/stand aspect).    We had Graco infant seats.

The front seat definitely does NOT recline enough for an young infant to lie in.  It only leans back about an inch or so. 

Main issue I had with it was the basket was really hard to get into.  You kind of had to go down between the two seats. 

+1 for the BabyTrend brand.   When DW was pregnant with DD we bought a SnapNGo Frame for an Infant Car seat for DD.  DIL is pregnant (21 weeks). When DW found out about that ( it's a Girl) THE FIRST thing my DW thought about was buying a BabyTrend SnapNGo frame for an Infant Car Seat.  Since we live in South America we may need to buy one from the Factory web site (prices include shipping within the USA and a 10% first time discount is available).

The topic of this thread is much more heavy duty but hopefully exists.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Does the baby have to stay in the car seat?  I know it's not recommended because the angle isn't a good one for them, and if you can make it to a the point where you can use a model without the seat it might open options wider.  But that would mean using an alternate carrier for the first few months until both kids could use the stroller together.

He doesn't have to, but I really want to find one that can.  I am going to be toting him back and forth to so many of his brother's appointments as a tiny baby, I would really like to be able to do it without having to wake him up every time he's fallen asleep and I need to transfer him in or out of the car.

3 hours ago, wendyroo said:

Our other option was "securing" the infant seat in the back like this picture and then having the front seat available for a big kid. 

The problem with putting older ds in the front seat, even though he could probably fit in some of them, is that at 7.5 he is not going to want to sit in a stroller seat.  The back seats don't look as "babyish".

54 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

We we borrowed my friends Graco this summer at the zoo.  I idk know if like 3 yr old.could sit but it had 9-12yrs Olds use the stand part just fine.  

Ds gets so worn out by his chemo sometimes.  By the end of a long day of dr. appointments he is often dragging, stumbling along with me half-carrying him out to the car, so I'm really hoping for one where he can sit vs. just stand with the baby in.

• Like 1

I use Bugaboo bee 3. (I think they are on 5 but similar concept.) You can use connectors and connect baby car seat in the regular seat portion of the stroller and the ride on board in the back. It's like a bicycle seat on top of a board. So technically the kid can choose to sit or stand back there. Although my kids tend to sit if they are using the stroller. The board sits on the side (you can pick the side when you install the connectors) so it's a little more comfortable while you are walking. When not in use you can choose to disconnect the board part or flip the board up to give you more walking space.

Here's a video demo. The baby car seat would attach using adapters to where the seat is (near the cross where the handle and the seat frame connect. You can choose to attach the car seat with the stroller seat or without. You can choose to forward face or parent face stroller seat. I've only used the carseat in the parent face direction.

PS I absolutely LOVE this stroller. 

• Like 1

The front seat of the stroller does recline enough for an infant or you can buy the bassinett attachment if you want. Both my babies used this from newborn to almost 5. Although at the almost 5 and 3.5 stage it's just there to carry their stuff and after a long day at the zoo or something. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clarita said:

I use Bugaboo bee 3. (I think they are on 5 but similar concept.) You can use connectors and connect baby car seat in the regular seat portion of the stroller and the ride on board in the back. It's like a bicycle seat on top of a board. So technically the kid can choose to sit or stand back there. Although my kids tend to sit if they are using the stroller. The board sits on the side (you can pick the side when you install the connectors) so it's a little more comfortable while you are walking. When not in use you can choose to disconnect the board part or flip the board up to give you more walking space.

Here's a video demo. The baby car seat would attach using adapters to where the seat is (near the cross where the handle and the seat frame connect. You can choose to attach the car seat with the stroller seat or without. You can choose to forward face or parent face stroller seat. I've only used the carseat in the parent face direction.

PS I absolutely LOVE this stroller. 

This looks like a really nice one, but outside my price range.

2 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Would something like this work for you? 2-in-1 Cozy X-rider.  I think any stroller with telescoping handles might help make it a better option.  I couldn't find the one we used to see a lot of, a bike-like attachment that went to the rear/side of the stroller, but it wouldn't be ideal for a tired child.

So cute!  It looks like the reviews say it's a tight fit for 4-year-olds' legs, though, so probably not for ds.

It looks like the Baby Trend Ultra is going to be the winner, as it appears to have the most sitting room in the back with a car seat in.  (Also I saw on their website that the back seat is good for up to 60 lbs, while most are up to 50 lbs, so that will be nice if/when ds7 ever gains some weight.) 

Thank you all for your help!