Menu

Couch recommendations?

Carrie12345

I’ll most likely be hunting through my local liquidator, but I’m also open minded.

My priorities:  

• comfort
  • Ease of cleaning
  • Preferably no crappy filling that gets out of whack
  • Are there foam options with a protective layer for spills?

No giant sectionals, since we’ll be moving to a long and narrow space. It looks like a support will put us at about 11.5’ in one spot.

I just pulled my nasty couch apart to clean as best as I could and, while it’s marginally better now, it was way more work than it was really worth. I had been trying to hold out until moving, but I’m not sure I’m gonna last.

Price and aesthetics are technically important, just not nearly as much as being able to get comfy cozy without hints of strange smells! 

Watching for updates too as I need a new couch! 

I'm curious which brands (if any) are long lived. I currently have a 20-25 yo Lazy Boy reclining sofa - still in very good shape but the corners of the upholstery on two of the seats are coming undone.  I do not believe Lazy Boy has such a good reputation now.  Basically I'm tired of the fabric, but they are super expensive to get recovered - if you can find someone who will do it. 

Watching this thread with interest. I tend to buy medium range furniture, so not super high end, but generally not the least expensive.

We had a beautiful, unusual couch from Costco for like 12 years, which we finally passed along instead of having recovered. It would have been worthwhile to recover it, woulda could shoulda. It was a great couch, but threadbare at the end. We then had some leather couches from Costco which lasted maybe 8 years — till a rescue dog ate them. Literally. 

Our last couch was Home Reserve, because they would replace any components eaten by the Amazing Couch Eating Dog. That paid off. But yuck. We didn’t love the couch. It aged poorly, and their fabric selection was not great. We had the pet fabric, didn’t like the feel, replaced the covers finally, with one of their higher end fabrics … and it picked and pilled and looked terrible within three months! Not a fan of the way the foam aged, either.

So now we have a Poly and Bark leather couch that everyone loves. Seriously. It’s not the big kind that one sinks into, but it is great for napping, and watching shows, playing games, whatever. I prefer leather for asthma reasons, and the leather on this one feels good. It’s this one: https://www.polyandbark.com/products/napa-sofa?variant=12124507013193

Edited by Spryte
Added link

We just bought a sectional from Costco which for the price has been what we needed-but I know you said you don't want a sectional. It replaced a sofa from Crate & Barrel that I had from my single days. It was a slipcover sofa. Buyer beware....Crate & Barrel will tell you can wash AND dry the slipcovers on low heat but you cannot. Don't even think about it. I shrank the blasted thing when I washed it after our first son was born (really....I know I bought it when I was single, but who buys a white sofa SMH). The frame held for 20 years so I think that is a reflection that their furniture is well built. Just be careful about the fabrics. I have heard great things about IKEA sofas and the slipcovers that accompany them.

• Like 1

We've had Flexsteel sofas since the mid 90's. They last for years. My latest one is called Tenley( or Benly? I can't remember). I prefer more classic or casual, rolled arm types, not the modern styles or leather reclining ones. I like the height of the back, lower ones that are very popular now tend to be uncomfortable for my neck.

Edited by Idalou