Menu

Anyone teach on Outschool?

mom31257

I'm considering offering some classes on Outschool. Would anyone who teaches on there be willing to share your experience and any pros or cons? 

Dh is going to be coaching starting sometime next month, and I'm going to be alone a lot now that we are empty nesters. Maybe this would be a good way to fill some of my time. 

• Like 1

I've taught there, though through my business (you can teach as an organization). My business partner teaches there and I know a lot of people who teach there.

It can be slow to get started. Like, really slow. Once you get going, you can definitely make some decent money, but you may have a long period of a very slow start as you tweak when times work, etc. It depends what you're offering, of course. 

They have a lot of rules and take a relatively big cut. They can be really picky about approving courses. They want everything to be super interactive. So it's not enough for them that you're going to - say - discuss the books in a book club or do a lab together for science. They want there to be an interactive quiz with flashy confetti and also another interactive tool with an interactive whiteboard that interacts and interactive blah blah blah. Yes, even for older teens.

• Thanks 2

Haven't taught, but my kids have done a number of different courses. The good ones are fast-paced with really enthusiastic teachers, have kids who are super interested in the topic, and are really well prepared. Haven't noticed much in terms of interactive whiteboards etc. The poor ones have long periods of silence because the kids aren't really interested and won't respond to the teacher at all. You don't want to pay for your kid to sit there waiting for other kids to do something . . . anything! 

• Thanks 1

Outschool may take a big cut, but they do a lot for that cut.  I have had three businesses that I have let go because I despise doing the very things that Outschool does--the marketing, collections, billing, and so on.  Even with the big cut, I would have been better off making SOME money than the non I make now.  I despise bookkeeping.  I like doing the things that make the money.  Also Outschool helps you stay legal with copyright and fees and so on.  And I know it is frustrating that you don't get "all" the payment.  Think through what you are paying for in the fee.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for all the responses! I enjoy teaching on Zoom. I currently have 3 ongoing math classes, one private test prep student, and a student that I manage all of his homeschool work and transcript. I don't mind the income side of it, but I haven't really marketed myself. All of my students are friends' kids. I like the flexibility I have with them.  We moved closer to my dad so I could help him when he needs it, and they are willing to reschedule if needed. I work hard to make up anything I miss or they need, even extra sessions when kids need it.  

I was thinking of offering some one-time classes or small number of classes for skills I particularly enjoy such as strategies for factoring quadratics, solving word problems, etc. 

Do any of you know other places I could market classes like that? 

11 hours ago, mom31257 said:

@Farrar, thank you! I don’t think that I could do all the flashy interactive elements. I would be willing to learn, though. Is there a way to observe a class to get a feel for what they want? 

It's so random what they approve. Sometimes it's like, we're going to cook together and boom, check, class approved. Other times it's like, what do I have to do to get this class approved?!? I guess I'm just saying, be aware.

I'd try it and see how it goes. There are a lot of resources out there about Outschool. There's an active Outschool teachers FB group. Sign up and then join that group.

I agree that Outschool doing the bookkeeping, etc. helps a lot.

There are other providers like this - especially among the California charter start ups. But I know a lot less about them.  Like, I know that World Over International says they're hiring. It's one of these online pod places.

Aim Academy is expanding some stuff. I know they're looking for more science and art if you're qualified to teach those.

• 5 months later...

The average Outschool educator earns $50/hour teaching classes. Outschool collects a 30% service fee from all paid enrollments, but there are no additional costs to teach on Outschool. So, it is quite profitable. From my experience, teaching on Outschool is a great way to make a side income doing something that you love. I think that it gives you opportunities to get more money while you have other activities and duties. For example, the story on https://phdessay.com/free-essays-on/teenage-pregnancy/. Teaching on Outschool is worth it for teachers who are passionate about their subject, willing to put up with the trial and error of getting enrollments, are flexible to trying new things, and are creative. That allows my sister, who also is a teacher, to work during her teenage pregnancy, as I suggested on the website.

On 9/12/2021 at 7:33 PM, Farrar said:

I've taught there, though through my business (you can teach as an organization). My business partner teaches there and I know a lot of people who teach there.

It can be slow to get started. Like, really slow. Once you get going, you can definitely make some decent money, but you may have a long period of a very slow start as you tweak when times work, etc. It depends what you're offering, of course. 

They have a lot of rules and take a relatively big cut. They can be really picky about approving courses. They want everything to be super interactive. So it's not enough for them that you're going to - say - discuss the books in a book club or do a lab together for science. They want there to be an interactive quiz with flashy confetti and also another interactive tool with an interactive whiteboard that interacts and interactive blah blah blah. Yes, even for older teens.

That’s interesting, I didn’t realize they had much say in what teachers were offering. I thought of it more like Etsy for teachers. Does that mean their teachers are actually their employees?

51 minutes ago, KSera said:

That’s interesting, I didn’t realize they had much say in what teachers were offering. I thought of it more like Etsy for teachers. Does that mean their teachers are actually their employees?

No. You're a contractor if you do it. They just have the ability to approve or not approve a class and they can be weirdly picky. Sometimes something will go right through and other times it won't. I could say more, but I'll refrain. If you join, there are teaching groups and so forth. People will dish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm curious about those of you saying Outschool does the bookkeeping.  Since you are a contractor I assume you get a 1099, but don't you have to still do your own tax payments, keep track of expenses, etc?   

I run a business and do my own bookkeeping (and kind of hate it), but I don't see what Outschool does to make that easier.  

• Like 1