Menu

Prednisone Question

stormy weather

Background:

I caught some bug or other, which led to coughing and sinus infection. Then a injury(ribs) from a cow jerking a hay bale I was holding was reinjured by the dog yoinking the leash. More coughing and my I think my rib/ribs are cracked. So in my visits over three weeks to Dr's I was given a 5 day course of prednisone. On day 2 I found that I was slipping into depression, I already take Lexapro for anxiety. Adding to the depression is that I haven't done much of anything in three weeks but ear, sleep, work and watch TV. I only have 1 day left for the prednisone.

I am wondering if anyone else has had this experience on it and how long it will likely take to get back to "normal"? 

Edited by stormy weather
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, stormy weather said:

Thanks for the reassurance. I can't remember when I last felt so FML. 

Live and learn, I won't be taking it again. 

There are pros and cons.  Now you know how you react to the oral dosing and can weight that when discussing treatment options in the future. Something like a nasal steroid, or inhaled steroid might be a better choice for you, depending on the condition being treated.

• Like 1

My brother was on it a lot for asthma as a kid and tried to smother himself while on it.

One of my sons had a similar reaction and I won't give it to him unless absolutely necessary. Another son is on it more often than I'd like due to an immune deficiency and he only gets super crabby on it. Since it keeps him breathing and out of the hospital, I can deal with him being crabby.