Menu

Best resource for 8th grade U.S. history, non-textbook

MercyA

Okay, okay....I know this probably doesn't technically belong on the Chat Board, but I know you guys better than the peeps on the other boards. 

Title says it all. Looking for the best comprehensive, interesting, readable history of the U.S. suitable for a 13-year-old. Can be one volume or a couple, but prefer not to go the textbook route. We can supplement if needed but I'm looking for an excellent spine.

Thanks!

I am using the Collier series (The Drama of American History) with my 8th grader this year.  We've only just finished the first two books but so far I am quite impressed.  The analysis is sophisticated but they are also very readable.  I much prefer them to the Hakim books, which I had also seriously considered using.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JennyD said:

I am using the Collier series (The Drama of American History) with my 8th grader this year.  We've only just finished the first two books but so far I am quite impressed.  The analysis is sophisticated but they are also very readable.  I much prefer them to the Hakim books, which I had also seriously considered using.  

I am also considering the Hakim books. Do you mind telling me what you didn't like about them?

Thank you so much! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MercyA said:

I am also considering the Hakim books. Do you mind telling me what you didn't like about them?

Thank you so much! 

I thought that the books themselves were annoyingly busy (too many sidebars, etc.) but mostly I just didn't like her writing "voice."  Since I knew that i would be reading together with DS, as opposed to just assigning texts for him to read independently, I wanted something that I personally didn't find grating.

Substantively the Hakim books are very good, though.  She does a great job incorporating primary sources into the text and I believe there's even an additional primary source collection available.   The Collier books include some primary sources but not enough, IMO, so I plan to add some into our curriculum.  

Edited by JennyD
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Thank you so much! 

Echoing Jenny D.

The DoAH books by the Colliers are spectacular. Extremely well written. They create very clear narratives that make issues and disputes that have shaped our nation comprehensible. And they do a great job helping students understand the mindsets of all sides. Interesting. Informative. Great. 

In contrast, Joy Hakim's writing style is pure torture for this reader. Inefficient and leaden. On every single occasion I've read her, I've spent the entire time wanting to act as an "editor" and to rewrite the text. She drives me bananas.

Opinions might vary.

Bill

• Thanks 1

I used Joy Hakim for 9th grade US History and supplemented with some other reading. I did use study guides, and made up my own exams and writing assignments so there was enough coverage and work to make them worthy of high school credit. My kids really liked the books and retained the information well. She has an engaging writing style.

• Thanks 1

For something a bit different . . . I did 7th grade American History last year with the “For Young People” versions of A People’s History of the United States, A Different Mirror, An Indigenous People’s History of the United States, and A Queer History of the United States. Correlated with literature class focusing on YA books by Native American, Mexican American, and African American authors.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Danae said:

For something a bit different . . . I did 7th grade American History last year with the “For Young People” versions of A People’s History of the United States, A Different Mirror, An Indigenous People’s History of the United States, and A Queer History of the United States. Correlated with literature class focusing on YA books by Native American, Mexican American, and African American authors.  

I was considering using the YP edition of A People's History of the United States, but I imagine it would need quite a bit of supplementing. And I feel tired. 😉 

Leaning towards the Collier books right now.

I'm sure your student(s) found the course interesting!!

1 hour ago, Danae said:

We are using those books this year!  Glad to see a positive review.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MercyA said:

Found the first 13 Collier books for about $3.25 each on Better World Books, using their 25% sale coupon. Whoot! 

Thanks, all! I really appreciate all your suggestions and input! 

Last I looked it is also available as a unified ebook (that recompiles the individual volumes into one).

Bill

5 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Yes, I saw that, only $50, but DD prefers "real" books. 🙂 Thanks!

Once upon a time we relied on "Moira's list" that was compiled by a very dear member here (Nmoira, who was taken far too early by cancer) that listed the titles of all the volumes in the series. There are a lot.

I get liking real books. You got a great deal. Congrats.

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Once upon a time we relied on "Moira's list" that was compiled by a very dear member here (Nmoira, who was taken far too early by cancer) that listed the titles of all the volumes in the series. There are a lot.

I get liking real books. You got a great deal. Congrats.

Bill

I remember Nmoira. 🌜

I was able to find a list online. I love gathering books into sets. There are 23 books, but we only need the first 13 for this year. 

Thank you again!

• Thanks 1