Menu

I offended a scammer today

historically accurate

I listed a bed frame on FB marketplace today. Within an hour, I had a lady who was interested. Wondered if she could pick it up today but wanted to text me since she was at work and not supposed to be on the FB. I said fine and gave her my phone number. She then asked to send a Google voice code to my phone to "prove I was a real person".

I said, "Pick up the phone and call me."

"No, no, I just want to send a code to your phone - you give the code to me and I'll know it's a real sale."

"No, that is a scam. If you're interested and will be here today, call or text me. Otherwise, no sale"

"What? You are accusing me of being a scammer!"

"Call me if you want the bed."

Radio Silence...

Why? Why? Why can't any FB sale be easy?

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

I am so tired of Facebook marketplace.

I tried to sell a bike a few weeks ago.  I got 4 "gentlemen" who wanted to meet me alone after 9pm and refused to meet during daylight hours.  (I did meet one man who seemed genuine, brought his kid, and I had dh and oldest ds with me.  Bike was too small).  I had another person who wanted me to take a tenth of the already really low price and got mad I wouldn't take the offer.

At this point, I'm giving the bike away to the first kid I see.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I make THEM send me their phone number (via FB or craigslist email) to prove they're serious.  Then I'll text my address. They do NOT get *my* direct contact information without it.  This last time - i was getting rid of a used queen size ikea foundation dh dragged home while I was in Texas  . . . . . thunk . . . . . .half  of them, I never heard from again.

but I had one on craigslist that was going to send me a not western union, but just as sketchy, and have someone else pick up the item.   "they can pay me cash when they pick it up." - then they (claimed to be female, but who knows) accused me of suspecting them of being a scammer, and they were in the military they're not allowed to scam people. . . . big. giant. eye. roll.   - your "friend" can pay me cash when they pick up the item.  never heard from 'her' again.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 5:35 PM, HomeAgain said:

At this point, I'm giving the bike away to the first kid I see.

So, funny story.  We had a new kid move in across the street last week. He and ds immediately hit it off, even though the kid is a few years younger.  The two went off riding bikes, ds on his newer one and the kid on the slightly too small one he was growing out of.  So my first thought - hey, I'll talk to his parents and see if he wants the extra bike!  Took it out of the garage to make sure it was good to go still.  Didn't get a chance to head over to the kid's house before ds's violin lesson.

Parents saw the bike from across the street.  When I called ds in, they took their kid out to buy him the exact.same.bike. we had in our driveway.

😂 Even giving it away is hard!

• Haha 7

On 8/15/2021 at 5:40 PM, historically accurate said:

Well, fortunately, DH had someone do the same thing to him last week over some sparkplugs. And, I had already given her my phone number, she could call and talk to me rather than some weird random code thingee. 

Can you explain how the scam would work? I've not heard of this one. I totally agree with your sentiments about trying to sell things online!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SusanC said:

Can you explain how the scam would work? I've not heard of this one. I totally agree with your sentiments about trying to sell things online!

Basically, they run up phone charges on your account: https://wgme.com/news/i-team/selling-stuff-online-beware-of-google-voice-verification-scam

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1