Menu

Nm

Drama Llama

I've been exercising with a mask since I got vaxxed and went back to my fitness studio - I had an UnderArmor sports mask for the first few weeks, which supposedly has 'cooling technology', stays away from your face even when breathing hard, and wicks sweat, and it was okay.  When the studio decided to drop their general mask requirement for vaxxed people but also not bother to check if anyone actually was, I decided I needed a mask that was better at protecting me, so I bought a few new Happy Masks which I'm using with one of those little plastic frame things that keep the mask from collapsing when you're breathing hard, and that's been just as good, if not better than, the UnderArmor.  The Happy Masks are so lightweight, and don't absorb sweat.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, KSera said:

I haven't used this one, but have heard it mentioned by others and I see it's on good sale. It depends on how big your kids wearing them are, though, because it's an adults size: https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/adrenaline-sports-face-mask-kit-285932

Thanks my kids have big heads. They can wear adult sized masks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

I've been exercising with a mask since I got vaxxed and went back to my fitness studio - I had an UnderArmor sports mask for the first few weeks, which supposedly has 'cooling technology', stays away from your face even when breathing hard, and wicks sweat, and it was okay.  When the studio decided to drop their general mask requirement for vaxxed people but also not bother to check if anyone actually was, I decided I needed a mask that was better at protecting me, so I bought a few new Happy Masks which I'm using with one of those little plastic frame things that keep the mask from collapsing when you're breathing hard, and that's been just as good, if not better than, the UnderArmor.  The Happy Masks are so lightweight, and don't absorb sweat.

I have never heard of plastic frame for masks. Could you please point me in the correct direction? I have a sporty kid who could use them ... thank you.

6 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Definitely agree with this - Under Armour ones are thick and heavy while the Happy Masks are very light and 'breathable'.   I've never used one of the plastic frames, but my friend at the gym did and she was very happy with it.   

• Like 1

Agreeing that the UA masks are hot and get soaked (and heavy) with sweat. DS had to wear a mask last XC season for outdoor workouts and runs and when he wore those he could practically wring out the sweat. They were *disgusting*. He found the cooler but flimsier single ply masks hard to breathe in (they tend to suck in when breathing hard) so he mainly wore a Happy Mask. 

7 hours ago, mathnerd said:

I have never heard of plastic frame for masks. Could you please point me in the correct direction? I have a sporty kid who could use them ... thank you.

The plastic mask frame I use looks like this, which my gym gave me for free, but there are other styles that look like they might work even better, here is another one....

• Thanks 1

My dd had high school sports start up in March--soccer and track, so lots of running. At first she wore our homemade cloth masks with 2 layers of good cotton. I saw her at the big rivalry soccer game and every chance she got she pulled the mask down to suck in as much air as she could. I got her a box of the disposable medical masks at Costco and they worked so much better for her--she uses those for everything now. But she is vaccinated (and was when I got them too), so I'm not as worried about best protection possible.

A note on ease of breathing. If you look at the mask data chart I shared recently, there’s a column for pressure drop. That’s actually important, because in addition to indicating how easy and comfortable it is to breathe in, masks with too great a differential will actually cause more air to go around the sides of the mask. That particular chart also indicates whether the mask collapses when you breathe in, or not. For sports, obviously not collapsing is much preferred. Unfortunately, that chart does not include a lot of the masks being discussed in this thread, though. It has predominantly KF94s and N95s, though it does have some reusable masks tested as well.

7 hours ago, madteaparty said:

I don’t know that’s it’s the “best” but my DD wears the uniqlo ones and she totally forgets she has it on, they’re so easy to wear. I have to remind her to take her mask off! 

I love these masks.  My doctor recommended them to me for exercising.  I am not very heat tolerant so these are perfect.  Extremely comfortable.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, KSera said:

A note on ease of breathing. If you look at the mask data chart I shared recently, there’s a column for pressure drop. That’s actually important, because in addition to indicating how easy and comfortable it is to breathe in, masks with too great a differential will actually cause more air to go around the sides of the mask. That particular chart also indicates whether the mask collapses when you breathe in, or not. For sports, obviously not collapsing is much preferred. Unfortunately, that chart does not include a lot of the masks being discussed in this thread, though. It has predominantly KF94s and N95s, though it does have some reusable masks tested as well.

Can you point me to where you posted this?  I was away for a few weeks and have totally lost track of the forum.  Thanks

Edited by wathe
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

I love these masks.  My doctor recommended them to me for exercising.  I am not very heat tolerant so these are perfect.  Extremely comfortable.  

Yes and the advantage to the plain surgical ones (which is what I prefer when working in a kitchen or whatever) are that they fit very well to her face, so she could run, etc with it on. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

Yes and the advantage to the plain surgical ones (which is what I prefer when working in a kitchen or whatever) are that they fit very well to her face, so she could run, etc with it on. 

They really do fit fantastic.  And they wash so well. Mine are about a year old and still look new. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wathe said:

Can you point me to where you posted this?  I was away for a few weeks and have totally lost track of the forum.  Thanks

Sure. This is put together by someone with an aerosol science background, and the masks are tested while worn (with a mask port). There are tabs that show the test setup, if you're interested, and a FAQ to go along with it:

Master Mask Testing Data Set

• Thanks 1