Menu

Thyroid Meds Side Effects

scbusf

I've taken Thyroid meds for many years for Hypothyroidism. I feel the best when I take Armour Thyroid. A little while ago, my insurance decided not to cover Armour any more. They switched me to NP Thyroid. I don't recall the exact day I switched. 

Anyway. I recently started having some weird symptoms .... of course, Dr. Google has me convinced I have something very scary. Then I realized that I had switched that thyroid medication around the same time the symptoms started. The weird symptoms - a strange, jittery feeling and heat intolerance. Now, I've never been once to enjoy hot weather, but this has been extreme. Also, the jittery feeling - I do struggle with anxiety and I am crazy stressed right now, so I was assuming it was that.

My question - if I switch back to Armour, how long would it be before I started seeing the side effects go away? Assuming the side effects are due to the NP Thyroid, that is? A couple of days? Weeks?

5 minutes ago, scbusf said:

I've taken Thyroid meds for many years for Hypothyroidism. I feel the best when I take Armour Thyroid. A little while ago, my insurance decided not to cover Armour any more. They switched me to NP Thyroid. I don't recall the exact day I switched. 

Anyway. I recently started having some weird symptoms .... of course, Dr. Google has me convinced I have something very scary. Then I realized that I had switched that thyroid medication around the same time the symptoms started. The weird symptoms - a strange, jittery feeling and heat intolerance. Now, I've never been once to enjoy hot weather, but this has been extreme. Also, the jittery feeling - I do struggle with anxiety and I am crazy stressed right now, so I was assuming it was that.

My question - if I switch back to Armour, how long would it be before I started seeing the side effects go away? Assuming the side effects are due to the NP Thyroid, that is? A couple of days? Weeks?

I've had that when my dose was too high.  It's possible that you are absorbing more from the NP.  My Dr says different formulations work better for some.   I would consult about reducing dosage a bit. It didn't take me more than 24-48 hrs for those types of symptoms to go away. 

• Like 1

Yes, it sounds like you are a bit high.

Fwiw there have been repeated issues with NDT including NP. Multiple recalls. I switched to it last summer when I couldn't get in Naturethroid anymore (which has subsequently been pulled off the market). I had the opposite problem I went WAY too low- couldn't lift my head off the pillow I was so exhausted(FT4 below range). Finally upped the NP dosage (had been on same dose of Naturethroid for years and stable) that helped some but I didn't start feeling normal until I upped my T3  too.  I'm planning on switching to T4 and T3 combo when I have my appointment next month. No brand of NDT has been reliable for at least a year now. I'm nervous as all get out switching but I'm very tired of all the recalls and outages.