Menu

July Frugalistas 2021

mommyoffive

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought middle some tees today for her volunteer job. She lives in cooling camis in the summer but has to wear sleeves at the museum. So 2 plain tees from Walmart and she's ready to go.

DH and my uncle got DH's spark plugs and air filter done yesterday. He has an appointment for the muffler Thursday.

One of DD's docs called yesterday and insisted on a phone payment or they wouldn't see her again. It was only 3 appointments that we hadn't paid for, but I guess that's their limit? So, after that payment, my medical fund is close to $0. Ugh

It looks like with the car repair this week and the medical fees, youngest DD won't be doing TKD - that money will be needed in other places. I feel like I'm spinning my wheels and falling further behind. 

I need to get Oldest's book list for next semester so I can keep an eye out for deals on those. 

• Sad 3

After spending a few hours working at my parents' house this morning, dh picked me up and we went to a local game shop because he needed to buy paint for minis.  I usually don't buy things impulsively but today I did.  In the used games and puzzle section I found an old Simpsons board game I had as a kid and a murder mystery puzzle.  $25 total spent on my two things. Not sure what dh spend on paint but he had bday money so that doesn't come out of the budget.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

After spending a few hours working at my parents' house this morning, dh picked me up and we went to a local game shop because he needed to buy paint for minis.  I usually don't buy things impulsively but today I did.  In the used games and puzzle section I found an old Simpsons board game I had as a kid and a murder mystery puzzle.  $25 total spent on my two things. Not sure what dh spend on paint but he had bday money so that doesn't come out of the budget.

What minis does he paint? Game pieces or models or ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, historically accurate said:

What minis does he paint? Game pieces or models or ?

Game pieces for his DND campaigns. But this particular paint is for a nerf gun he is painting.  It'll be his second one painting.  The first was inspired by Captain America.  This one will be inspired by Legolas' bow.

• Like 3

On 7/12/2021 at 5:58 PM, mommyoffive said:

I miss school meals!  I wish they were still going on for pick up here.  You can eat the meals in the lunch room like a normal summer.  

I wish one of my kids loved to bake!

Hjffkj~  Do you know if this Lego set is retired?  I can't figure that out.

Amazon.com: LEGO Creator Expert Volkswagen T1 Camper Van 10220 Construction Set (1334 Pieces): Toys & Games

It is one that one of my kiddos has asked for again this year for Christmas.  I guess if it is retired I won't find a good deal on it.

Just seeing that Lego is coming out with a new one. 

Volkswagen T2 Camper Van 10279 | Creator Expert | Buy online at the Official LEGO® Shop US

• Like 2

Did a bit of Walmart Clearance shopping

Picked up a lot of clothes for all the kids for cheap.  Pants, shorts, and tee shirts.  Underwear too, forgot about that.   I have been going through clothes as I see them and getting rid of ruined ones.   I need to actually handle their drawers and rooms.  But probably won't for awhile.

Got bags of dirt for 25 cents a bag

Vitamins

Masks

Looked at the Toys, but didn't buy anything yet. 

Bought that king sized mattress I posted.  I hope it doesn't get cancelled, we really need a new one.

Did some returns today. 

Will have some more to do this week. 

Saving a ton this week because now I have 3 sick kids.  So 2 middles won't go to dance intensive or gymnastics camp.   Got credited one day for the day one kid missed gymnastics camp.   That kid got covid tested, now thinking if we should retest and test the others. 

Still haven't heard back about the refund that I have been trying to get. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Saving a ton this week because now I have 3 sick kids.  So 2 middles won't go to dance intensive or gymnastics camp.   Got credited one day for the day one kid missed gymnastics camp.   That kid got covid tested, now thinking if we should retest and test the others. 

Oh, no! I hope they bounce back quickly! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Condessa said:

I made pad thai tonight for dinner.  It was amazing.  About $10 for the family meal plus lots of leftovers for lunches this week.  

I miss leftovers.  I was just complaining to dh that our family is so large, 6 kids 4 adults, that I can never make enough food for leftovers anymore. I used to rely on leftovers for lunch the next day so I didn't have to prepare it.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh man, Im sorry

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

I miss leftovers.  I was just complaining to dh that our family is so large, 6 kids 4 adults, that I can never make enough food for leftovers anymore. I used to rely on leftovers for lunch the next day so I didn't have to prepare it.

Just wait until you have teens!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, saraha said:

Oh man, Im sorry

It was so nice to not have sick kids for over 2 years.  I so just want to by some land and live like we have for the last year plus and stay healthy.

But for sure more worriesome now.  In normal times it would just be annoying because you know it is going to cycle through everyone in the house and it could be weeks until we all feel better.  First kid already tested negative.  But still worry that it wasn't accurate.   It just stinks because they didn't even make 1 week of going back to things.  Other than dentist apts and our Airbnb vacation we have been out and about.  We have done beach, biking, parks, and hiking but no  face to face activities with people.  We were just coming back into it.  We were careful and found places that are still taking precautions and having masks inside even though there are no rules on that now.  So bummed about it because they were having a great time and were going to go this week.  

• Sad 2

14 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Well I really should count my 12 year old as an adult for food purposes.  So, 5 kids and 5 adults.  He eats more than me most of the time now. 

Yep, my 10 year old eats more than me.  My younger 2 eat a lot sometimes too.  Funny thing is that we don't spend more on food than we did when it was just the 2 of us.  We couldn't cook and bought all prepared food. 

Our chickens started laying in the last week and we are swimming in green and blue eggs!  We had a huge thing of eggs for lunch.  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Brittany1116 said:

They weren't kidding... it's incredibly hard to opt out of CTC. It needs all sorts of biometrics and couldn't confirm me. 

Also, my oldest is between kids and mens shoes. Looks like his cleats will likely be mens size, which means an extra $20 for the same shoe. 🙄

That is so annoying.  I am wishing that all my kids would have tiny feet.  My 2 oldest are in adult sizes and my 3rd can be sometimes too.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

And that's why I make soup in a 4 gallon pot and bought the biggest lasagne pan I could find and have a supersized electric frying pan.  Those leftovers are lifesavers!  The good news is as the kids grow up and aren't home for as many meals you will have leftovers again.  The bad news is if you are like me and only know how to cook gigantic sized meals that when the kids are all gone for some reason, you and DH will be eating the same thing all week long.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Sorry to hear they are sick.  We got some nasty cold crud too.  Not Covid, several of us tested and all were negative but pretty brutal.  I'm 11 days into it and I still haven't shaken it.  

• Like 2

So it sounds like we may get a dog sooner than I expected. A day or 2 after I submitted my app a new dog was posted that was pretty much everything I was looking for.  I made some comment on the post and one of the rescue people asked if I wanted to foster her.  I said yes (and that I'd adopt her too but first we have to make sure she's a good fit) and they asked if I could pick her when she arrived here next Sunday.  They said I actually didn't need to do the app because I was already an approved adopter with them. So I went ahead and ordered a kennel and bed so they will hopefully be here by Sunday. They would provide those things for fostering but since I'm planning to make a second dog a permanent thing, it made sense to have a second set on hand.  My younger kids are so excited but waiting a week is going to be so hard.

• Like 4

I found a bike light on Amazon with a rebate and it had a coupon, so I ended up making almost $4 (in the form of an Amazon gift card) just by buying it. It's a lot tinier than bike lights I remember, so I put it up for a stocking stuffer for middle - she's the one who just got the trike. I put the Amazon gift card in the gift fund. 

Took oldest back to school shopping yesterday (she goes to college mid August). She needed just a few things, so I set aside some of the CTC for her. I went over $10, but she is set now. I do have to go back to Kohl's as they forgot to remove the antitheft tag - grrr.

Did a budget for her books for fall semester. Ugh. Over $300 and not really an option to get elsewhere as they need the stupid (*#&Y$*#) online codes. Those online codes are the bane to my existence. 

I'm thinking of talking to my boss about adding a day of work - she hasn't really gotten that currently I don't work Fridays - she called me freaking out I wasn't there last Friday even though we've had the conversation about my schedule 3-4 times. But, if I work 20 hours I get sick/vacation pay, which I'm assuming is why I was hired for 16-19 hours. I am not willing to come in for a 3 hour day, but I might for a 4 hour day if it gets me sick/vacation. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, cjzimmer1 said:

So it sounds like we may get a dog sooner than I expected. A day or 2 after I submitted my app a new dog was posted that was pretty much everything I was looking for.  I made some comment on the post and one of the rescue people asked if I wanted to foster her.  I said yes (and that I'd adopt her too but first we have to make sure she's a good fit) and they asked if I could pick her when she arrived here next Sunday.  They said I actually didn't need to do the app because I was already an approved adopter with them. So I went ahead and ordered a kennel and bed so they will hopefully be here by Sunday. They would provide those things for fostering but since I'm planning to make a second dog a permanent thing, it made sense to have a second set on hand.  My younger kids are so excited but waiting a week is going to be so hard.

Awww that is so perfect.   What kind of dog is she? 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Awww that is so perfect.   What kind of dog is she? 

chihuahua/terrier mix.  Funny thing is she almost a twin to my current dog.  She's the exact same age, same "mix", she's about 2 pounds smaller than Joey and while he's all black, she's about 95% black with a little white on her chest and the tip of her toys.  They said she LOVES kids and would do best with another playful dog.  I don't think I could have created a more perfect match if I tried.  Of course the real test is if the dogs will learn to like each other but I'm hopeful.  We are pet sitting my sister's dog the next two weeks (so we will temporarily have 3 dogs) and Joey freaked out the first night the other dog was here but ever since he's been totally fine.  

My new carpet is coming in 2 weeks and I planned to clean out/paint the room next week.  But with the new dog coming (and knowing I will want to play/watch it), I'm going to push to get more of that done this week.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

chihuahua/terrier mix.  Funny thing is she almost a twin to my current dog.  She's the exact same age, same "mix", she's about 2 pounds smaller than Joey and while he's all black, she's about 95% black with a little white on her chest and the tip of her toys.  They said she LOVES kids and would do best with another playful dog.  I don't think I could have created a more perfect match if I tried.  Of course the real test is if the dogs will learn to like each other but I'm hopeful.  We are pet sitting my sister's dog the next two weeks (so we will temporarily have 3 dogs) and Joey freaked out the first night the other dog was here but ever since he's been totally fine.  

My new carpet is coming in 2 weeks and I planned to clean out/paint the room next week.  But with the new dog coming (and knowing I will want to play/watch it), I'm going to push to get more of that done this week.

Awww sounds perfect.  That is really so great that you are pet sitting beforehand.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, historically accurate said:

I found a bike light on Amazon with a rebate and it had a coupon, so I ended up making almost $4 (in the form of an Amazon gift card) just by buying it. It's a lot tinier than bike lights I remember, so I put it up for a stocking stuffer for middle - she's the one who just got the trike. I put the Amazon gift card in the gift fund. 

Took oldest back to school shopping yesterday (she goes to college mid August). She needed just a few things, so I set aside some of the CTC for her. I went over $10, but she is set now. I do have to go back to Kohl's as they forgot to remove the antitheft tag - grrr.

Did a budget for her books for fall semester. Ugh. Over $300 and not really an option to get elsewhere as they need the stupid (*#&Y$*#) online codes. Those online codes are the bane to my existence. 

I'm thinking of talking to my boss about adding a day of work - she hasn't really gotten that currently I don't work Fridays - she called me freaking out I wasn't there last Friday even though we've had the conversation about my schedule 3-4 times. But, if I work 20 hours I get sick/vacation pay, which I'm assuming is why I was hired for 16-19 hours. I am not willing to come in for a 3 hour day, but I might for a 4 hour day if it gets me sick/vacation. 

21 hours ago, historically accurate said:

Bought middle some tees today for her volunteer job. She lives in cooling camis in the summer but has to wear sleeves at the museum. So 2 plain tees from Walmart and she's ready to go.

DH and my uncle got DH's spark plugs and air filter done yesterday. He has an appointment for the muffler Thursday.

One of DD's docs called yesterday and insisted on a phone payment or they wouldn't see her again. It was only 3 appointments that we hadn't paid for, but I guess that's their limit? So, after that payment, my medical fund is close to $0. Ugh

It looks like with the car repair this week and the medical fees, youngest DD won't be doing TKD - that money will be needed in other places. I feel like I'm spinning my wheels and falling further behind. 

I need to get Oldest's book list for next semester so I can keep an eye out for deals on those. 

I'm sorry. It really isn't fair at all. You guys are working so hard. I hope you can pick up some more hours and things can let up for you guys.

15 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Did a bit of Walmart Clearance shopping

Picked up a lot of clothes for all the kids for cheap.  Pants, shorts, and tee shirts.  Underwear too, forgot about that.   I have been going through clothes as I see them and getting rid of ruined ones.   I need to actually handle their drawers and rooms.  But probably won't for awhile.

Got bags of dirt for 25 cents a bag

Vitamins

Masks

Looked at the Toys, but didn't buy anything yet. 

Bought that king sized mattress I posted.  I hope it doesn't get cancelled, we really need a new one.

Did some returns today. 

Will have some more to do this week. 

Get well soon vibes for your kiddos!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, historically accurate said:

Ugh college books.  I remember the scam of those expensive books back in the day.  Ugh.  Can you still sell books back or anything?  Rent them?  I remember reading an article years ago about how to save on textbooks.  

How is she liking her job? 

I hope you get the extra day at work.

12 hours ago, hjffkj said:

When we had eight kids last year, I got super-sized cooking pans, bowls, etc.  Now we can have as many leftovers as I want!

• Like 3

Dh and I had our anniversary Saturday. We ended up staying in town and doing various things around here. We had a great time. 

Spent: $121 total

$50 ax throwing

$27 lunch out

$30 electric scooter rental

$7 drink/ice cream

$17 lots of chocolate and flowers (from Aldi's)

I got my bathroom cabinet (that I've been wanting for over a year). A local cabinet place had a sell off of some cabinets and I got a vanity for $50. They didn't have any bigger cabinets that would work so I went ahead and ordered one to be built. It was $536 total for both pieces. That is less than half of what I seen at Menard's and hundreds less than the other discount lumber place I'd priced. I had been looking online but as I wanted something specific I hadn't had any luck. I still need a top but think I have a good chance of finding one used as the vanity is a common size. I had set aside money for this already- so this came out of the house fund.

$100 in car repairs for ds' car. Ya!

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Condessa said:

When we had eight kids last year, I got super-sized cooking pans, bowls, etc.  Now we can have as many leftovers as I want!

That is nice. It is constant change figuring out how much to make with growing kids. Always better to make more with kids around. We're still in flux here as now my ds works and is frequently gone for the evening. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Soror said:

Dh and I had our anniversary Saturday. We ended up staying in town and doing various things around here. We had a great time. 

$50 ax throwing

$27 lunch out

$7 drink/ice cream

I got my bathroom cabinet (that I've been wanting for over a year). A local cabinet place had a sell off of some cabinets and I got a vanity for $50. They didn't have any bigger cabinets that would work so I went ahead and ordered one to be built. It was $536 total for both pieces. That is less than half of what I seen at Menard's and hundreds less than the other discount lumber place I'd priced. I had been looking online but as I wanted something specific I hadn't had any luck. I still need a top but think I have a good chance of finding one used as the vanity is a common size. I had set aside money for this already- so this came out of the house fund.

Happy Anniversary!!!  How many years have you been married? 

I am glad you  had a great day.  Sounds so fun.  Axe throwing and scooters! Lunch, ice cream and then chocolate that is perfect.

Score on the cabinet and vanity!  I bet it is going to look so great in your bathroom to get it updated and how you want it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Happy Anniversary!!!  How many years have you been married? 

I am glad you  had a great day.  Sounds so fun.  Axe throwing and scooters! Lunch, ice cream and then chocolate that is perfect.

Score on the cabinet and vanity!  I bet it is going to look so great in your bathroom to get it updated and how you want it.

22 yrs.

It was a lot of fun. Aside from our 20th we have rarely done anything. Maybe a meal at home together, it was a nice change of pace. Hopefully we continue to have some money to do things like that now and again.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Soror said:

$50 ax throwing

$27 lunch out

$7 drink/ice cream

Happy anniversary!  How was the ax throwing?  Dh and I were going to do that for his b-day but we couldn't make the schedule work.  Later this summer I'm sure it'll happen

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Soror said:

22 yrs.

It was a lot of fun. Aside from our 20th we have rarely done anything. Maybe a meal at home together, it was a nice change of pace. Hopefully we continue to have some money to do things like that now and again.

Awwww.  Congrats!  Did you do Europe for your 20th?   We haven't ever done anything because of the kids.   We didn't have family that would watch them.  I could see now or in a few years being able to leave them for a few hours.   We went shopping yesterday without any kids!   Haven't done that in 15.5 years.  It was a nice break.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Happy anniversary!  How was the ax throwing?  Dh and I were going to do that for his b-day but we couldn't make the schedule work.  Later this summer I'm sure it'll happen

It was fun, a nice change of pace.

7 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Awwww.  Congrats!  Did you do Europe for your 20th?   We haven't ever done anything because of the kids.   We didn't have family that would watch them.  I could see now or in a few years being able to leave them for a few hours.   We went shopping yesterday without any kids!   Haven't done that in 15.5 years.  It was a nice break.

Yes, we did Europe on our 20th the kids split their time between our parents- they meet in the middle of our trip to pass kids. Planning another trip on our 25th but the kids will be 20, 17, 14, and 11- don't really have to worry about babsitting so much with the older ones more than old enough to watch but we'll probably try to get them some time with some of the grandparents to break it up. I'd like to maybe do a weekend away next year, we'll see. It gets much easier to do with older kids.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

That mattress deal got cancelled.  Boo.    I need to get a king mattress soon. 

Picking up grocery order tonight.

2 kids went to drop in ballet class.  DS got some from free ballet swag for helping out a local dance company. That was really sweet.

Too bad about the mattress.

Yay for swag.

My pet sitting client I pet sit for every weekend sprung a random midweek visit to give a dog meds on me and paid me $100 for the short notice. Plus, she left today for a trip until Sunday, sprung that on me as well although she thinks we talked about it already, ha.  $700 for that. 

I think I'll take a bit of that and treat myself since tomorrow is my bday.

I worked for 7 hours at my parents' house today so dh brought me Chipotle for lunch and then helped there too. So, not a budgeted $20 but well deserved. The house is getting listed Monday!!!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

My pet sitting client I pet sit for every weekend sprung a random midweek visit to give a dog meds on me and paid me $100 for the short notice. Plus, she left today for a trip until Sunday, sprung that on me as well although she thinks we talked about it already, ha.  $700 for that. 

I think I'll take a bit of that and treat myself since tomorrow is my bday.

I worked for 7 hours at my parents' house today so dh brought me Chipotle for lunch and then helped there too. So, not a budgeted $20 but well deserved. The house is getting listed Monday!!!

Hopefully her dogs live forever!  You found a sweet gig. 

20 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Hopefully her dogs live forever!  You found a sweet gig. 

Sweet indeed. Sadly for them and me, mostly them though, both dogs are pretty poor health. I imagine neither has another year in them. I've already accepted that it is pretty likely I'll be dealing with an emergency situation with at least one of them this summer.

• Sad 3