Menu

hotel recs in nashville

kristin0713

Instead of resurrecting my thread about orlando in July (NO), I'm starting a new one to ask for Nashville hotel recommendations. 

We decided to do a few days in Hershey park next month.  We are looking into doing a longer weekend/5 day type trip to Nashville in July. NOT Dollywood, just Nashville.  Even if it it is super hot, we will be touring museums and indoor stuff mostly.  

It seems like the hotels clustered right around Music City Center and all the museums are $400+ a night, but if you go a mile or two further out, they are like half the price.  Even the nicer hotels like Hilton, etc.  Any experience with that area?  I have no experience with the city of Nashville.  We want to stay in a nice area and we are find with driving to the museums if it will save $200 a night.  Walkable (safely) to restaurants would be nice, but not necessary. 

I like the Drury. There is one near the airport and one down near the Ag expo center. They're usually affordable, and if you have a larger family, the suites are usually reasonably priced. I don't know if they're doing the breakfast and 5:30 kickback, but pre-Covid, both were a reasonable meal if you don't have allergies. (Breakfast usually is a mix of hot and cold items, dinner is usually some sort of bar with fixings, like baked potatoes, pasta, hot dogs and chili, tacos, and the like). 

Another option is to do a VBRO. We did a nice 3 bedroom house a couple of years ago for about $200 a night that was a reasonable drive to everything--and had a Pokemon gym in range from the living room :).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kristin0713 said:

just Nashville.  Even if it it is super hot, we will be touring museums and indoor stuff mostly.  

It seems like the hotels clustered right around Music City Center and all the museums are $400+ a night, but if you go a mile or two further out, they are like half the price.  Even the nicer hotels like Hilton, etc.  Any experience with that area?  I have no experience with the city of Nashville.  We want to stay in a nice area and we are find with driving to the museums if it will save $200 a night.  Walkable (safely) to restaurants would be nice, but not necessary. 

I'm sending my Nashville article again. It talks about hotels and which ones we liked: Kidding Around in Nashville.

I included places to eat too.

Edited by Alicia64
spelling
  • Like 2

21c Museum Hotel.  Two blocks off the fun / mayhem / noise of Broadway, in an old historic building, super-hip vibe, with a very good restaurant and open-to-the-public gallery space. This is my favorite boutique chain throughout the South.

We were in the Nashville property a few weeks ago and they had TWO Kehinde Wileys (one painting, one sculpture) as well as a absolutely totally indescribable Chuck Close. Their art model is to aim for 1/3 local-to-the-city artists, 1/3 American, 1/3 international. They are very, very well curated.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Alicia64 said:

I'm sending my Nashville article again. It talks about hotels and which ones we liked: Kidding Around in Nashville.

Thanks for this! Lots of great info!

2 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

This hotel looks amazing! Unfortunately, they don't have a family suite style that we need.  Our two kids cannot share a bed anymore so usually what works for us now is a suite with two queens and a pullout sofa. 

I'm really stuck on narrowing down the location. Is it better to be downtown, midtown, or near Opryland? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Alicia64 said:

I included places to eat too.

Thanks for posting the article! We’re planning short trips w grandkids and Nashville is only a couple hours from where they live so an easy drive and overnight stay should allow us time to make some memories.

10 hours ago, kristin0713 said:

Thanks for this! Lots of great info!

This hotel looks amazing! Unfortunately, they don't have a family suite style that we need.  Our two kids cannot share a bed anymore so usually what works for us now is a suite with two queens and a pullout sofa. 

I'm really stuck on narrowing down the location. Is it better to be downtown, midtown, or near Opryland? 

We usually did closer to the airport just due to cost, unless we could get a great deal on Opryland. (It used to be that they ran a great special for teachers in May, and it would often be less expensive to stay on site than almost anywhere else. And they accepted my cover school documentation for the discount. But I haven't seen that in years). Honestly, it's really not hard to get to Opryland (hint-park in the very back of the mall lot and walk. Parking at Opryland itself is very, very, VERY expensive), Centennial Park, Bicentennial park, etc. If your kids play Pokemon, Bicentennial park is great.

The Drury has suites, and a really good indoor/outdoor pool. There is also a Country Inn and Suites near the airport that has nice suites for reasonable prices as well. We've been in Nashville most frequently for kid events, and usually have a room block at a hotel that has options for bigger families. 

9 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

I know nothing about the hotel situation, since I live here and have never needed one in town. 🙂

But I hope you enjoy Nashville. The Frist is great, my kids LOVE it. Also, the Parthenon is pretty cool too.

I was just going to mention the Parthenon. It's pretty amazing. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

unless we could get a great deal on Opryland

We would LOVE to stay there, but they don't have a family style suite for us, either. We would need to get two rooms which would be almost $700 a night in July. 

I've never stayed at a Drury hotel. I'm looking at the Hampton Inn and Suites @ Opryland. I can get a suite for under $200 a night and we've always been happy with them.  Just wondering if we want to be that far from Downtown.  But it seems there is a lot to do in Opryland, too. 

Downtown walking Broadway at night would be the main reason to be downtown.  If you're not planning on doing that, I would think any hotel would do.  Downtown parking is a bit pricey, too, but we had a blast there.

We also visited the Carter House and Carnton sites in Franklin and got a great feel for being there in the Civil War.  If you're into history, check them out.

29 minutes ago, Tina said:

Downtown walking Broadway at night would be the main reason to be downtown.  If you're not planning on doing that, I would think any hotel would do.

This is super helpful!  We are pretty much an early-to-bed family.  Eating dinner downtown and walking around a bit before heading back to the hotel would be the extent of nighttime adventures for us. 

6 hours ago, kristin0713 said:

I'm looking at the Hampton Inn and Suites @ Opryland. I can get a suite for under $200 a night and we've always been happy with them.  Just wondering if we want to be that far from Downtown.  But it seems there is a lot to do in Opryland, too. 

I'm a small-time family travel writer, and Hampton Inn and Suites is my favorite brand. (And I've stayed in many a five-star.)

I love them for having clean rooms and rolling these amenities into one easy-to-understand price:

• Free parking
  • Free Wifi
  • Free breakfast

Obviously, they're not free -- the amenities are rolled into the room price. But that's why I like nice three-stars: no surprises on the bill at the end of the stay (like at five-stars that have resort fees etc.)

When you book, ask if the parking is free (it's not a given). Ask if there is a mini-fridge in the room too.

I like to book with hotels directly and here's why: if you book w/ the hotel you're the hotel's customer. If you book through Expedia or something like it, Expedia is the customer, not you, as far the hotel is concerned.

At the end of the article it talks about B & Bs in Nashville too.

One more tip: we often go into Publix or Walmart, get what we want and have a car-picnic. Kids never complained.

They also really like the $1 cones at McD. and Burger King.

Maybe you can tell that I miss travel writing? 😅

Let me know if I can send anymore ideas.

• Like 3