Menu

Interior designers and other color-knowledgeable people

Hyacinth

I have a pretty Linen White (Behr) on my bedroom walls. It's off-white with a yellow . . . what's the word . . . hue? tint?

I had painters paint our entryway/stairway in supposedly the same color (color match from Sherwin Williams). It looks green, and I don't love it.  

I get that different lighting and flooring can affect the way color is perceived, and maybe that's what's going on (though the stairway has the same grey carpet as the bedroom and I see green when I look at it there).

Regardless of how I got here, I need to make it work.

What can I do to bring out the yellow in the entryway? Are there certain colors I should find or avoid in, for example, an entryway area rug or wall art?  

Get a swatch of linen white behr and hold it to the wall. That way you’ll know if the problem is the paint or the light. Also, check which bulbs you have in your bedroom vs entry. You should be able to figure out the color temperature from google and adjust the bulbs from there. 

That’s where I would start anyway. 

If the hallway has north facing light, the natural light may be the problem. Overly simplified....North facing light brings out the blue/green/grey undertones in paint.  South facing rooms, will bring out the warmer colors like red/orange/yellow undertones. 

To bring out more of the yellow, you may try hanging some artwork that has warmer colors in it, or add a hall runner in warmer tones. This can help to draw out the undertones, but the further away from the accessory you get, the less the effect works. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Katy said:

Get a swatch of linen white behr and hold it to the wall. That way you’ll know if the problem is the paint or the light. Also, check which bulbs you have in your bedroom vs entry. You should be able to figure out the color temperature from google and adjust the bulbs from there. 

That’s where I would start anyway. 

Okay, I found the swatch and held it up to the wall. It IS the same color (much to my husband's delight . . . he does not share my intensity for this issue).

The entryway/hallway lights are new LEDs. That's probably an issue.

5 minutes ago, Tap said:

If the hallway has north facing light, the natural light may be the problem. Overly simplified....North facing light brings out the blue/green/grey undertones in paint.  South facing rooms, will bring out the warmer colors like red/orange/yellow undertones. 

To bring out more of the yellow, you may try hanging some artwork that has warmer colors in it, or add a hall runner in warmer tones. This can help to draw out the undertones, but the further away from the accessory you get, the less the effect works. 

Yes! The front of the house, I believe, faces north and the bedroom faces south. Interesting!

Just now, Hyacinth said:

Okay, I found the swatch and held it up to the wall. It IS the same color (much to my husband's delight . . . he does not share my intensity for this issue).

LED lights will absolutely bring out the cool tones in the paint. Try changing those out for warmer colors and your issue may resolve itself!

• Like 1

Windows are often slightly blue-tinted from UV protectants, and the more glass you have in a room, the bluer the light there will be.  We have that problem in a yellow room with large windows, but we counteract it with our choice of light bulbs.  Warm white/soft white LEDs are very different from the cool white ones.  You may even want to try a couple of different brands to find the best one, as they can vary.  

• Like 1

Y’all ARE smart! 

I hope the light bulbs fix this issue for you. I painted a large north facing room with a wall of windows what I thought was a nice yellow years ago. With the north light and all the green grass outside, it turned it the ugliest baby poop green. But it was a really large paint job with cathedral ceilings so I lived with that awful color for way longer than I wanted to. Lesson learned on north lights! 

12 hours ago, Hyacinth said:

Look on the packaging and see what the "color temperature" is on the new LED bulbs. 

Bill

• Like 1