Menu

Age-appropriate news source for tweens/teens

Just wanted to share a recent find. I've been wanting for some time to introduce DD to current events, but was hesitant to have her watch "adult" news due to disturbing/inappropriate content. I wanted to tiptoe into this, but still have her become more aware of the world. 

I stumbled across World Watch News by the World News Group. We've been watching it each morning to start our school day. The segments are 10 minutes long; with discussion, we spend about 20 minutes each morning discussing current events as well as whatever other meaty topics arise from watching the segment. 

We have a monthly subscription, although you can pay yearly. I've been very impressed with the quality of the content, as well as the way that they make it age-appropriate (ex: if the filibuster is discussed in the news, they spend a minute introducing kids to what a filibuster is, the history of its introduction, etc.). 

https://worldwatch.news/

I don't work for these folks or benefit from promoting it -- just excited to share a find with others. I'd love to see them stick around -- this has been such a huge boost to our school days. Perhaps some of you will like it as well!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Awesome!  We don't watch a lot of news with ds because it is often inappropriate content for him.  However, we did stumble across a local "around the area" type of news/showcase.  Every weekday there's a new episode that tells us about places or people who are notable at the moment.  It's been our family news for a few months now.  Dh and I watch an early morning program and PBS Newshour alone when we can.

We started watching CNN10 after seeing it recommended on our local homeschool FB group.  It's free!  They only post new, ten-minute episodes on weekdays during the traditional school year; every day they acknowledge one of the groups who comments on YouTube (it's also available on their website), and most of those seem to be high schools, but I've not found anything to be inappropriate or inaccessible for my upper-elementary/middle school kids.

• Like 1

We've been starting our school day watching CNN10 for the past few years. I'm not usually a fan of CNN, but I find CNN10 to be pretty neutral and appropriate and my teens love the puns at the end. Even DH will wander into the room to watch it with us.

• Like 1