Menu

April Well-Trained Bodies

Laura Corin

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

We're supposed to get snow tomorrow, so I want to get in lots of outdoor activity today. Though maybe the snow will be helpful for my spring allergies. 😉  It's itchy eye and sneezy season for me. 

It looks like I'll have a opportunity to get the vaccine soon. I wasn't expecting it for months. Dh is getting his first dose today. 

I'm glad to hear you will be able to get vaccines.

• Like 2

Did my bodyweight circuit x2 and a 15 min yoga this morning. Planning a taco salad for lunch but haven't done any actual prep yet. Like checking to see if we have any lettuce. Could end up being a spinach salad. Every time I start a new health kick dh jumps on the bandwagon which is fine, but if you only grocery shop once a week you might just run out of salad makings! Dd is starting the day off happy and hummy which is much better than starting off with cluster seizures.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

Did my bodyweight circuit x2 and a 15 min yoga this morning. Planning a taco salad for lunch but haven't done any actual prep yet. Like checking to see if we have any lettuce. Could end up being a spinach salad. Every time I start a new health kick dh jumps on the bandwagon which is fine, but if you only grocery shop once a week you might just run out of salad makings! Dd is starting the day off happy and hummy which is much better than starting off with cluster seizures.

That is fabulous news!!! 😃

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

So, happy to hear your daughter is doing better.

22 hours ago, wintermom said:

We're supposed to get snow tomorrow, so I want to get in lots of outdoor activity today. Though maybe the snow will be helpful for my spring allergies. 😉  It's itchy eye and sneezy season for me. 

It looks like I'll have a opportunity to get the vaccine soon. I wasn't expecting it for months. Dh is getting his first dose today. 

YA!!!! for the vaccine!!!

• Like 2

I am SORE from my lifting but a good sore. Enjoying more of a strength focus.\

I did not walk yesterday because I ended up working outside so much I wore myself out. I was out there 3-4 hrs. I started joking with the kids last year that we were going for yard of the month. I told the kids yesterday we are the current winners this month 🙂

We had some snow flurries yesterday too which is extremely unusual. We are past our last frost date. I hope we don't have too much crop damage. 

Today is a recovery day from lifting and outside walk. I plan for easy walking and yoga.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, StillJessica said:

I got in a 2 mile walk this morning and around a mile this afternoon at the Japanese Garden.  It was so cold and windy today that we skipped the evening walk.  

Sounds like a lovely walk. I skipped my evening walk for the exact same reasons. I was so tired from work, and just not up for battling the wind. 

We have snow on the ground and still coming down now. I need to get in the right frame of mind to get out there and walk today. 😉

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Soror said:

I am SORE from my lifting but a good sore. Enjoying more of a strength focus.\

I did not walk yesterday because I ended up working outside so much I wore myself out. I was out there 3-4 hrs. I started joking with the kids last year that we were going for yard of the month. I told the kids yesterday we are the current winners this month 🙂

We had some snow flurries yesterday too which is extremely unusual. We are past our last frost date. I hope we don't have too much crop damage. 

Today is a recovery day from lifting and outside walk. I plan for easy walking and yoga.

Enjoy your recovery day. I think my streak of paddling days in a row have caught up with me, and my arms need their rest. 

We have snow on the ground and flurries today, but thankfully I don't think we'll get the 6 inches of snow they were forecasting. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Enjoy your recovery day. I think my streak of paddling days in a row have caught up with me, and my arms need their rest. 

We have snow on the ground and flurries today, but thankfully I don't think we'll get the 6 inches of snow they were forecasting. 

20 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Sounds like a lovely walk. I skipped my evening walk for the exact same reasons. I was so tired from work, and just not up for battling the wind. 

We have snow on the ground and still coming down now. I need to get in the right frame of mind to get out there and walk today. 😉

Yes, mine was 3 days in a row of raking, shoveling, etc. 

I was glad I worked outside later here it was so dang windy and spitting rain/sleet/snow- not pleasant.

• Like 2

My poor lilacs and flowering crabapple are so droopy from the snow.  It looks like it’s coming down heavier here now, too.  

My plan is to clean the house as inefficiently as possible to give me extra steps, then to do yoga later.  If the snow stops and the sidewalks aren’t too deeply covered I’m going to try for at least a short walk later for my mental health.

9822D244-FD28-4E03-98C2-F8EE1216460E.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, StillJessica said:

My poor lilacs and flowering crabapple are so droopy from the snow.  It looks like it’s coming down heavier here now, too.  

My plan is to clean the house as inefficiently as possible to give me extra steps, then to do yoga later.  If the snow stops and the sidewalks aren’t too deeply covered I’m going to try for at least a short walk later for my mental health.

I hope your poor plants survive. We had a bit of snow but not enough to accumulate where I live.

65 min of relaxing stretchy yoga

The sun is out here, ya!

• Like 3

I can see how you might be tired of snow by April 21, but it is beautiful!

I did 30 min on the treadmill this morning. I was trying to not wake dd too early--still trying to get back to "balanced" and we're not quite there yet as she had seizures before bed. So far so good today. Today's salad: it's grocery day, so we're out of a lot. I have the tail end of the romaine, some spinach, the last tomato, and some turkey.

• Like 4

@Ali in OR Definitely tired of snow by late April. Some places in Canada (I'm thinking Manitoba) regularly get snow in May. That's seriously depressing! 😉 On the flip side, spring skiing in the mountains in May - July is awesome. I think it's the fact that we can't get away from the snow or do anything fun with it that's the issue with our snow now. 

@StillJessica Thanks for sharing your world now. I feel pretty good in comparison! There is a reason why May 24 is the safe planting date for Canadians (and US places near the border), not including the west coast, of course. 

I'm scheduled to meet a friend and walk in the woods later this afternoon. It's probably the only way I'd actually get outside apart from the dog dragging me. For some reason I'm lacking the drive to get outside today. 

• Like 4

Dumbbell workout this morning. Seizure-free day yesterday--woohoo! Going for two in a row now. Today's salad will be the famous tamale salad: some romaine, tortilla chips, salsa, and a pollo verde tamal broken up on top. Our staff member who organizes tamale sales at school in normal times instructed us that one is un tamal. Tamale is plural.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I walked 2.2 miles this morning in 30 degree windy weather.  I was dressed appropriately except for my legs, and I still can’t get warm.  I’ve spent a large part of the day buried under a fleece blanket and a quilt on the couch.  I won’t do that again unless I buy long underwear!  

• Like 4

Hi ladies! I haven't checked-in in quite awhile, we've been very busy with calving.  I am still getting my workouts in.  I put 9 week control freak on hold and switched to 30 day breakaway, since the weather has been nice enough for running.  It's a 30 day program of weights, core, and running, which I started on April 1 and am so far still on track to finish on April 30!  Between that and the cow work I am logging anywhere from 6 to 10 miles a day on my fitbit, usually 8-10 miles.  It's actually been a pretty good calving season, we haven't had too much trouble and the weather has been pretty nice for spring in the Rockies :) Out of 312 cows we've calved 250 so far.

175679766_10161107820247942_1727465508421613028_n.jpg

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

Dumbbell workout this morning. Seizure-free day yesterday--woohoo! Going for two in a row now. Today's salad will be the famous tamale salad: some romaine, tortilla chips, salsa, and a pollo verde tamal broken up on top. Our staff member who organizes tamale sales at school in normal times instructed us that one is un tamal. Tamale is plural.

Ya for dd!!!!!!

That food sounds delicious!

15 hours ago, StillJessica said:

I walked 2.2 miles this morning in 30 degree windy weather.  I was dressed appropriately except for my legs, and I still can’t get warm.  I’ve spent a large part of the day buried under a fleece blanket and a quilt on the couch.  I won’t do that again unless I buy long underwear!  

UGH, it is so hard to get warmed back up when you get chilled.

13 hours ago, FarmingMomma said:

Hi ladies! I haven't checked-in in quite awhile, we've been very busy with calving.  I am still getting my workouts in.  I put 9 week control freak on hold and switched to 30 day breakaway, since the weather has been nice enough for running.  It's a 30 day program of weights, core, and running, which I started on April 1 and am so far still on track to finish on April 30!  Between that and the cow work I am logging anywhere from 6 to 10 miles a day on my fitbit, usually 8-10 miles.  It's actually been a pretty good calving season, we haven't had too much trouble and the weather has been pretty nice for spring in the Rockies 🙂 Out of 312 cows we've calved 250 so far.

Gorgeous! You are on the homestretch now, right, how long is expected to take?

• Like 4

Started my period yesterday. I've been ravenously hungry. Trying not to eat everything and not succeeding but at least not eating crappy food.

My arms are still so sore. Yesterday was really bad. I have TRex arms it hurts to straighten them out. I did my am workout. I've been short on steps the last 2 days, no energy. Hoping today is better but I didn't sleep well for some reason.

Today is legs, hopefully a walk. I need to clean house.

• Like 4

@StillJessica Great job getting out there. Sorry it took so long to warm up again. Sometimes I'll take a warm bath or shower for outside help. 

@FarmingMomma Gorgeous photo! What a breath-taking location you live in. I'd be so distracted by the mountains that I would have trouble getting any work done. 😉

My outdoor exercise streak ended yesterday. I wasn't feeling well and ended up taking the afternoon off and stayed in bed. No worries, I'll get back on the outdoor wagon again asap. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Soror said:

Gorgeous! You are on the homestretch now, right, how long is expected to take?

Until around the middle of May.  Most of the cows will be done before then, but there are always a few stragglers who didn't get bred until late summer.  The busiest part of the season is over though, now we're down to 1-4 cows calving a day instead of nearly 20 a day.

• Like 5

Rough start to my morning with teenagers, so when I ran out at lunchtime for a couple of errands without having eaten anything today I ended up stress eating a pot pie at KFC.  That’s 720 calories, so while not great I guess it could have been worse.  

But I did good with exercise!  I did a 3.55 mile walk with my dad.  I’m nearly at 10,000 steps and the day is long from being over!  My mood has lifted and my teens are once again safe from mom’s wrath.  The pine trees made me smile today; so cute! 

EF801FDB-F7F3-422B-A986-7FC7A6963F71.jpeg

• Like 5

10 hours ago, MissLemon said:

Still going with DDPYOGA. I am down 12.5lbs in 37 days. I am nearly done with my virtual walking challenge, too. I think I only have about 9 miles left out of 46. 

I am reeeeeeally stiff today. It has rained all day and my joints are feeling it. 

Well done! 

@StillJessica it's so hard to avoid those eat-the-world moments - well done on the exercise! 

@FarmingMomma gorgeous photo, amazing activity!

@Soror my shower needs deep cleaning but the essay demands to be written. Next week - swimsuit on, full cleaning.

@Ali in OR you keep going so well through difficult patches

@wintermom sorry you are feeling rough. I'm glad you were able to rest.

I'm hoping to swim late afternoon, if the essay is going okay. The first jellyfish has been sighted but I'm hoping that I can overcome my fears now that I have a full wetsuit,  gloves, hat and boots.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, FarmingMomma said:

Until around the middle of May.  Most of the cows will be done before then, but there are always a few stragglers who didn't get bred until late summer.  The busiest part of the season is over though, now we're down to 1-4 cows calving a day instead of nearly 20 a day.

1-4 a day is a vacation from 20 a day!

15 hours ago, StillJessica said:

Rough start to my morning with teenagers, so when I ran out at lunchtime for a couple of errands without having eaten anything today I ended up stress eating a pot pie at KFC.  That’s 720 calories, so while not great I guess it could have been worse.  

But I did good with exercise!  I did a 3.55 mile walk with my dad.  I’m nearly at 10,000 steps and the day is long from being over!  My mood has lifted and my teens are once again safe from mom’s wrath.  The pine trees made me smile today; so cute! 

EF801FDB-F7F3-422B-A986-7FC7A6963F71.jpeg

Wow, that is really interesting. We have some pines here but I've not seen anything like that. Huzzah on getting the walk and not harming the teenagers.

15 hours ago, MissLemon said:

Still going with DDPYOGA. I am down 12.5lbs in 37 days. I am nearly done with my virtual walking challenge, too. I think I only have about 9 miles left out of 46. 

I am reeeeeeally stiff today. It has rained all day and my joints are feeling it. 

Congrats! Will some stretching help the stiffness or is it just endured until the weather improves?

4 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Well done! 

@StillJessica it's so hard to avoid those eat-the-world moments - well done on the exercise! 

@FarmingMomma gorgeous photo, amazing activity!

@Soror my shower needs deep cleaning but the essay demands to be written. Next week - swimsuit on, full cleaning.

@Ali in OR you keep going so well through difficult patches

@wintermom sorry you are feeling rough. I'm glad you were able to rest.

I'm hoping to swim late afternoon, if the essay is going okay. The first jellyfish has been sighted but I'm hoping that I can overcome my fears now that I have a full wetsuit,  gloves, hat and boots.

Jellyfish-eeek!

• Like 6

I took a nap in the am and then felt much better the rest of the day. I got in my workout and a walk later. Even cleaned house some, more needs to be done but it's a start. Today will probably be more house cleaning, hopefully food prep. It is raining pretty heavy so no outside work. Hopefully a walk later. Arms are still a bit sore but much better.

• Like 6

DH and I get our second covid vaccines today, so I’m not sure if we’ll feel up to walking or not.  I’ll be spending 3 hours in the car to get vaccinated, and visiting with my ILs who both have cancer and aren’t very active, so a lot of sitting.  Maybe I should get in a quick walk before I leave.  

• Like 4

@StillJessicaCongrats on second vax! We were fine the day of the shot--it was the next day I was down. But our shots were late ~5:45pm.

Did the Saturday morning yoga, had the mocha, got the list of weekend chores written. Time to get going on the rest of my day. We have a rainy weekend but all the stuff I need to do is indoors anyway. And we need the rain.

• Like 5

@Soror I did a lot of stretching and took a hot shower, which helped. I am sore again today, but that is from working out. I think I am going to take the day off from hard exercise today to let my body recover. I will walk a little, to keep up with my walking challenge (only 8.7 miles to go!)

• Like 6

On 4/24/2021 at 6:46 AM, StillJessica said:

DH and I get our second covid vaccines today, so I’m not sure if we’ll feel up to walking or not.  I’ll be spending 3 hours in the car to get vaccinated, and visiting with my ILs who both have cancer and aren’t very active, so a lot of sitting.  Maybe I should get in a quick walk before I leave.  

How did you feel after your shot? I didn't feel bad until about 24 hrs after my first.

18 hours ago, MissLemon said:

@Soror I did a lot of stretching and took a hot shower, which helped. I am sore again today, but that is from working out. I think I am going to take the day off from hard exercise today to let my body recover. I will walk a little, to keep up with my walking challenge (only 8.7 miles to go!)

Recover days are a good idea. Being sore from working out is a lot better than sore from the weather.

I just did an inside walk yesterday. Lazed around with dh and watched tv. I did make some soup and tofu for meal prep but not nearly a big enough batch. Today I plan to do some yard work. Hopefully some more meal prep. 

I'm feeling conflicted on food and weight. I'm still up about a pound from the highest I'd like to be and 3 where I'd prefer to be. In the scheme of things that is nothing. I alternate between feeling guilty about not being able to maintain a deficit to lose it and annoyance that it bothers me at all. Guilt that I eat as much as I do and more annoyance because I'm obviously not overeating because I'm not gaining. I just need more food than some people. I should not look at meal plans that others have and focus on how I feel when I eat different foods. Sometimes reading shared experiences is helpful but sometimes it is just a yardstick to measure yourself and not so great.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, Soror said:

How did you feel after your shot? I didn't feel bad until about 24 hrs after my first.

It hasn’t been 24 hours yet, so we may not be out of the woods, but so far we’ve just had sore arms and been a bit tired and we both had a sort of nauseous couple of minutes, Dh last night and me this morning.  

• Like 4

Really got into the zone writing my essay yesterday, so just did some yoga afterwards. Submitted at lunchtime  today,  lounged in the new hammock with a book afterwards, then swam in the sea pool. My first swim of the year, so only 20 minutes. Glorious. No jellies.

Husband is grilling chicken this evening and we'll have a glass of fizz to celebrate my finishing the module. This is me relaxing this afternoon. 

20210425_145508.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 4/21/2021 at 9:39 AM, StillJessica said:

Gorgeous!! We sometimes get snow in Atlanta, but none this year. Kind of bummed.

On 4/22/2021 at 3:43 PM, StillJessica said:

That is Laura-Ingalls-Wilder cold. I like those warm pockety things too.

On 4/23/2021 at 7:09 AM, Soror said:

Started my period yesterday. I've been ravenously hungry. Trying not to eat everything and not succeeding but at least not eating crappy food.

I think I'm the one weirdo in the world who misses getting her period. (When it disappeared I knew that I was in the next season of life.)

On 4/23/2021 at 3:04 PM, StillJessica said:

(((StillJessica))) I have teenagers too.

I know you didn't ask, so feel free to ignore me. 🙂 I never leave the house without a cold bag of food like this pretty one and a cold pack or two. I take baby carrots, apple slices, a granola bar, a banana in the side pouch with the goal of never being hungry in the car. (Or my eating plan would careen off the cliff.)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Soror said:

How did you feel after your shot? I didn't feel bad 

I'm feeling conflicted on food and weight. I'm still up about a pound from the highest I'd like to be and 3 where I'd prefer to be. In the scheme of things that is nothing. I alternate between feeling guilty about not being able to maintain a deficit to lose it and annoyance that it bothers me at all. Guilt that I eat as much as I do and more annoyance because I'm obviously not overeating because I'm not gaining. I just need more food than some people. I should not look at meal plans that others have and focus on how I feel when I eat different foods. Sometimes reading shared experiences is helpful but sometimes it is just a yardstick to measure yourself and not so great.

I'm in about the same place. Or I think so, but my old scales died and the new ones weigh a kilo heavier I think. Even leaving that aside, I'm up. 

I don't want to cause myself to get obsessive by watching every bite, so I'm scheduling food and making sure to eat lots of veg - I just like the feeling of eating and having eaten, so having 400g of broccoli as part of my lunch is satisfying.  Yes, I  get cross with myself for caring about those few kilos. For me it's not so much the weight as the concern that more weight might come on top.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I'm in about the same place. Or I think so, but my old scales died and the new ones weigh a kilo heavier I think. Even leaving that aside, I'm up. 

I don't want to cause myself to get obsessive by watching every bite, so I'm scheduling food and making sure to eat lots of veg - I just like the feeling of eating and having eaten, so having 400g of broccoli as part of my lunch is satisfying.  Yes, I  get cross with myself for caring about those few kilos. For me it's not so much the weight as the concern that more weight might come on top.

It is an annoying place to be. I like eating too and having that feeling of relative fullness. I've also been trying to keep my veggie intake up. It makes me feel better to eat more because they are healthier and it is hard for me to get full without ingesting a ton of food otherwise. I'm trying to keep to a lighter weight as I'm still pre-menopause and know it is likely I'll put on weight when my hormones shift. I'd rather go into that on the lighter side. And as you said if you don't watch it 1 lb leads to 2 and on and on.

Lots of work outside yesterday. Today I need to do more cleaning I've neglected. Walk. Strength train in the am.

• Like 4

Did a walking workout video this morning. I like the treadmill on Mondays, but didn't want to wake dh who came in late last night. He took dd to visit 2 colleges she's considering in CA (and there's a 3rd she was able to visit before pandemic). Need to make a decision this week. Ugh. All have pros and cons, no obvious choice. But I'm leaning more toward one, another would be fine, and I'm leaning against the third. Just another stressful week here.

I don't think my weight is ever going to be significantly lower and I'm trying to accept that. I got down into the 130's over 10 years ago and stayed there for 5 years, but I think the aging body is just different now. I know I can't eat as many calories as I would like, and I do tweak things to make healthier choices, but I think my set point is pretty set. I'm doing well when I'm in the lower 140's instead of mid to upper. And I think I'll just try to stay here and not let it get worse.

• Like 4

The weather has been weird here, but I've kept up my daily walking. Hopefully things will warm up again and I can do more paddling and cycling. Still not allowed to play tennis with the current lockdown, but dh and I renewed our club membership so hopefully we'll be able to play soon.

• Like 5

Did my bodyweight circuit x2 and then Sunrise yoga. Waiting for new caregiver to arrive for training--I'm back in the building on Monday for full days (I'm there in the afternoon this week). I'm enjoying having the sun up when I exercise (I start between 6:00 and 6:15).

• Like 4

Finally decided that not walking/running is not working to help my foot problem.  So I am working hard at using the roller on my hamstring in case that's pulling my gait askew.  And I've booked a physio appointment.  The positivity rate in my county is 1.5% and I've had one vaccination.  It's the first appointment of the day and they are serious about masking and ventilation.

Dog walk at lunchtime.  Yoga in a minute.

• Like 5

It's sunny weather so far this morning, and I have a walk with a friend planned. It's my 54th birthday today, and I'm celebrating a second covid birthday. It will be low key and I'll be working for most of the day. I'll be counting my many blessings for all the positive things in my life. 

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, wintermom said:

It's sunny weather so far this morning, and I have a walk with a friend planned. It's my 54th birthday today, and I'm celebrating a second covid birthday. It will be low key and I'll be working for most of the day. I'll be counting my many blessings for all the positive things in my life. 

Happy Birthday @wintermom

• Like 2

Happy birthday @wintermom

• Like 2

Happy Birthday!!!!🎂

• Like 1