Menu

What are the best shoes for walking?

ProudGrandma

Walking shoes generally have more cushion than running shoes.  Whether that's better for you depends more on your foot type and gait more than a general rule.  Is there a specialty running shoe store near you?  They generally have people very well versed in foot type, gait, and over the counter orthotics and are probably the best resource for that type of thing.  If there isn't one near you, an outdoor store like REI (or local equivalent) is probably the next best source.  Neither will be the cheapest source of shoes, but you will get a good fit, comfort, and some good guidance for the future for what types of shoes will work best for you. This is one of those times where it's worth it to spend a bit more. They should be able to get you in shoes that are comfortable immediately, with no break in, with room in the toe box, and with no rubbing, even if that requires adding in super feet arch supports and changing the way the shoes are laced to match your foot.

• Like 3

walking shoes or walking sandals.  arch support is crucial - don't skimp.  (some brands marketed as "good walking shoes" . . . aren't.)  metatarsal support is good too.

My feet will let me know if they're not happy.

I love abeos (walking company).  I wore a year old pair of abeo sandals all over austria and they still have life in them, as well as my feet/legs/back were happy.  (arch and metatarsal support).  I like them better than danskos.

11 hours ago, Katy said:

Walking shoes generally have more cushion than running shoes.  Whether that's better for you depends more on your foot type and gait more than a general rule.  Is there a specialty running shoe store near you?  They generally have people very well versed in foot type, gait, and over the counter orthotics and are probably the best resource for that type of thing.  If there isn't one near you, an outdoor store like REI (or local equivalent) is probably the next best source.  Neither will be the cheapest source of shoes, but you will get a good fit, comfort, and some good guidance for the future for what types of shoes will work best for you. This is one of those times where it's worth it to spend a bit more. They should be able to get you in shoes that are comfortable immediately, with no break in, with room in the toe box, and with no rubbing, even if that requires adding in super feet arch supports and changing the way the shoes are laced to match your foot.

Totally agree with everything @Katy said!

It's worth it to pay for fitting and expertise, and then assuming you find a shoe that works you can simply reorder the same style in the future, likely at a discount. After an initial fitting, we order past-season models of our favorite running shoes on sale from runningwarehouse.com 

• Like 2

When I had plantar fascisitis and no, I can not spell it (spellcheck thinks I mean Nazis) I was advised to go for running shoes, as they have far more arch support.  I had been wearing walking shoes for years - switching to high quality running shoes meant no more pain after the P.F. cleared up.  I found a brand I liked at the local sporting goods store, and save money now by buying the same model on-line in last year's colors. 

22 hours ago, kfeusse said:

something that won't cause back and leg pain

It might be good to question whether it's your shoes causing your back and leg pain or something else. I have (insert word I always forget that means my disks are screwed up) in my lower back but the shoes don't make a hill of beans difference on it. PT to work on the muscles that surround/protect my back (including my BUTT) made a huge (haha) difference in my back pain. I had plantar fascitis causing foot pain, but that's not legs and back either. I get my shoes fitted at a running store that makes their own molded inserts, and those inserts plus properly fitting shoes help with foot pain. Not my back or legs. When my legs hurt it's usually either sciatic, meaning I need to go to the chiropractor, or sort of general swelling and sluggishness (thyroid). 

So I can't guarantee shoes will solve your problem, but sure properly fitting shoes with custom molded inserts will solve whatever problems your feet are causing. Sneakers come in levels of I don't know what it's called. Something about support and pronation. That's part of what they do when they're fitting you at a good store, not just looking at the length, lol. 

I had an old injury from a number of years ago when I fell down the stairs and probably had a hairline fracture or bruised bone. Whatever it was, it made that front bone in my left leg HURT like crazy and even wearing running shoes I was hurting. I thought I was destined to hurt, sigh. Then I went to a better running store (not the first store that had fitted me but a different one) and the guy there took me OUT of shoes with support and put me into "neutral" shoes. It was really counterintuitive, but he said that going neutral would create more motion and work out the *scar tissue* that was causing the pain. 

Sure enough, the shoes hurt my leg more at first and then magically it just went POOF and was gone. He also told me to have a massage therapist work it, which I did. They can dig in, trying to break up adhesions and scar tissue from old injuries. 

So there's an example of shoes making leg pain better I guess. But just in general, unless you know you had an injury, I'd be looking for more generic answers like low thyroid, arthritis, etc. 

I wear Altra shoes, which are zero drop and neutral. I had been wearing the Escalante, which I loved, but with some recent injuries I switched over to wearing their thicker soled shoe full time. Works great for me, love. But not everyone should be in a zero drop shoe. It's something you would want to get fitted for to let them sort out. I really like the wide toe box, works great for me.

As far as saving money, your best deals are if you find your correct size (by being fitted), find the brand you need, and then buy last year's model. You can sometimes find them on the running store websites for less or try amazon. It's amazing the high end shoes you can find at great prices on amazon. You may have to look at a while and be flexible, but there definitely are deals and shoes marked down a LOT. So if you find that Clarks or something $$$ would be best for you, that's a way to find the deals, on amazon.

Edited by PeterPan