Menu

Homeschool Lego League teams brag!

Two First Lego League teams in our region are homeschool teams out of a total of 17 teams, and both homeschool teams are moving up to state!

Even though we were a rookie team, we shocked ourselves and everyone else by winning the overall award for our region and a robot performance award. To be fair, I think a lot of other teams were in a rebuilding year. My husband is the coach, I am the research mentor, and our two children were part of our six-member team.

So two out of two homeschool teams will represent our region at the state competition next week! Hooray for homeschoolers!

WTM Cassandra, are you by chance in Eastern Washington? They had a robot lego event for that same age range today and we wanted to go so badly, but one of our little ones got sick so we didn't make it. I was wondering if this was the same event. Either way congratulations and best of luck to you next week!

Only because you commanded it will I brag! I am stunned to announce our team got the top spot today! I haven't been able to close my dropped jaw for hours now.

I'm a first year coach, a non-techy coach, a hands-off coach. I had no idea what to expect and I had no expectations. I only had the hope we wouldn't be last. So this was a complete surprise!

And they won it because of an interesting attachment that helped them corral those C02 balls! (But we don't live in Washington.) They scored highly on the rounds too, but didn't score very well overall because of (*cough*) teamwork issues. Sorry to have propagated any sterotypes about homeschoolers, y'all. :tongue_smilie:

I really, really didn't want them to go to State anyway! How lazy am I?? Ours was the only homeschool team in our city, and there were only three children on it. It was good for my son to practice working in a team situation.

Congratulations everyone! I am thrilled with all your reports.

Julie

Edited by buddhabelly
spelling -- didn't want to "propogate" any stereotypes about bad spellers, either

And they won it because of an interesting attachment that helped them corral those C02 balls! (But we don't live in Washington.) They scored highly on the rounds too, but didn't score very well overall because of (*cough*) teamwork issues. Sorry to have propagated any sterotypes about homeschoolers, y'all. :tongue_smilie:

I really, really didn't want them to go to State anyway! How lazy am I?? Ours was the only homeschool team in our city, and there were only three children on it. It was good for my son to practice working in a team situation.

Congratulations everyone! I am thrilled with all your reports.

Julie

Julie,

I am sooo with you on not wanting to go to state! I was hoping to close this chapter of my life (for the year anyway) and move on to holiday preparations. What did you do to capture the balls?

We are in Tri-Cities. I think there were about five regional events going on in WA today . . .

Tri-Cities is the one we were wanting to go to! How exciting to hear of someone close to us. It seems most NW families are from the western side of the state. I've been reading all the articles in the local newspapers about how well you all did. Congrats again!

And congrats Natalieclare for gaining top spot! As a first time coach that is spectacular!:001_smile:

I am stunned to announce our team got the top spot today! I haven't been able to close my dropped jaw for hours now.

I'm a first year coach, a non-techy coach, a hands-off coach.

Congratulations! You know, this is hilarious, because we are in a similar situation. We are first-year coaches too.

We were SHOCKED to get the top spot. There were soooo many great teams from Tri-Cities last year (we were thinking about coaching so we attended last year's regional as observers). But I think they must have aged out and there was a new crop, a rebuilding year. We were solid, but I didn't think we were top.

So we are here in shock too. And preparing for State in just one week!

And they won it because of an interesting attachment that helped them corral those C02 balls! (But we don't live in Washington.) /QUOTE]

Congratulations! Well done! We didn't even try that mission.

QUOTE=buddhabelly;679070]They scored highly on the rounds too, but didn't score very well overall because of (*cough*) teamwork issues. Sorry to have propagated any sterotypes about homeschoolers, y'all. :tongue_smilie:

Oooh, I'm sorry that happened to you. I feel your pain. While the team was accepting our Regional Director award, one of the more exuberant members exasperatedly corrected our team captain in front of a whole gymnasium of people. Sigh.

QUOTE=buddhabelly;679070]I really, really didn't want them to go to State anyway!

I didn't either. I felt like God was laughing at me all of yesterday. Even when the robot messed up, we got additional points by accident! I knew even before lunch that we were probably going to state, and by mid-afternoon I was pretty sure we had won the overall award, and God was really dealing with me. Not only did we qualify, we qualified in multiple ways. It was almost like God was taunting me with it. :D

Tri-Cities is the one we were wanting to go to! How exciting to hear of someone close to us. It seems most NW families are from the western side of the state. I've been reading all the articles in the local newspapers about how well you all did. Congrats again!

And congrats Natalieclare for gaining top spot! As a first time coach that is spectacular!:001_smile:

Oh, it sure would have been nice to meet you! I'm sorry you didn't get to come. We are just shocked that our rookie year is shaping up this way (although three team members were on a team last year).

Yes, lots of the NW families are on westside, but we are here, and I do know of people in Ellensburg and Spokane also.

What's kind of challenging about FLL is that everyone sees the robot game, but only the judges see the presentations, so you don't get a sense of what everyone else is doing in that part.

Thanks. Yes, our state is next week. This is FLL, for the 9-14 age group. Are you with the high-school level? February sounds like the level above us.

Yep, we're doing FLL. Actually, the last two years, we haven't had our Regional Qualifier till January! So this is early for us, though there were definitely qualifiers in our state spread out through December *and* January. I think this year some things changed, and maybe they were all either yesterday or next week? I don't even know when State is (and hoping I won't have to find out, lol), but it's been in Feb for the last two years.

I can't imagine going straight from Regionals to State a week later! Good gracious!

I'm sure that was really exciting for your team to do so well the first time out! :)

Wow, that's way different than our state's timetable. Fortunately, I had warning about this. We went to our regional last year and observed while we were thinking this whole FLL thing over. So last year I found out how they hold all the regionals just the week before the state. They do it this way every year, deliberately.

So we knew that we needed to be completely ready for the regional and possibly be ready to go right to state. I'm sure glad I wasn't blindsided by that, though!

UGH! Dh just called from our first round qualifier (so it's all different here this year -- there's the initial round, then the kids qualify for one -- or two? -- qualifiers in January, *then* state in February), and while registration was at 7:45am, they didn't even have the TABLES set up at 9:30am!!! What on earth were these people thinking?!?!

This is our fourth FLL competition and we've never arrived to find the tables hadn't even been *assembled*!!!

The schedule was so different this year, even for the individual day, and the schedule says the kids are supposed to do their last set of challenges at *noon*, but the tables weren't even put together (much less balanced and all that) two hours after registration?!?!

Ugh. It's probably *very* good that I'm not there today. I would be obnoxious.

Congratulations! My ds would love, love, love something like this but there no homeschool lego leagues in our area (that I am aware of anyway!). :sad:

It's really relatively easy to start a team -- you just need 3-4 kids under the age of 14, a coach (any adult willing to put up with them for a couple of hours a week from Sept-Jan), and roughly $200... And there are definitely FLL events in the Houston area! http://usfirst.org

I'm sorry your qualifier had some management issues. Two qualifiers? Wow, that's different than our state. Your state must have a LOT of teams or something.

We are back and trying to recover from State yesterday. A judge took us aside afterwards and said that we were in 3rd place for robot design, only a teeny bit behind 2nd place, so that was nice to hear, especially for our lead programmer, who ages out this year.