Menu

AP Gov't in 9th Grade?

Hello Everyone,

I could use some advice concerning my rising 9th grader.   He is an enthusiastic learner and very bright.  He is fun to homeschool because he finds a lot of joy in learning.  (I am nearly positive I could plan a class in "watching paint dry", and he would find something about it that he finds fascinating lol.)  His IQ is very high, but he is a slow worker (often becoming so interested he goes off on rabbit trails) and still struggles with executive functioning skills and time management.   He is very ambitious and has dreams of some day going to a competitive college.  He wants to do something involving science or math, but he isn't sure what.   I've been involving him in his high school planning, and he seems to think that he needs to take an AP class next year.    I am worried that he will be biting off more than he can chew by taking an AP class in 9th grade on top of his schedule.   

This is his planned class schedule for next year:

1) Pre-Calculus - Derek Owens (2 hours per day, but flexible with deadlines)

2) Honors Chemistry - Clover Valley (2+ hours per day?? not sure because some people are saying 5 per day! + 2 hour class meeting each week.)

3) CLRC Latin II (1 hour per day + 2 hour class commitment each week)

4) Literature and Composition - Integritas Academy (1 hour per day + 2 hour class commitment each week)

-----

I do not have any history or "social studies" planned for the year.  I was thinking of just getting him some American History books to read and maybe asking for a few term papers as output.    Something light with flexible deadlines.   

But, he wants to take an AP Gov't class through PAH.   I just am not sure if he realizes how much work that will be.   So what would you do if you were me?   Let him attempt the class?  Or persuade him to do something lighter?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TheAttachedMama said:

Hello Everyone,

I could use some advice concerning my rising 9th grader.   He is an enthusiastic learner and very bright.  He is fun to homeschool because he finds a lot of joy in learning.  (I am nearly positive I could plan a class in "watching paint dry", and he would find something about it that he finds fascinating lol.)  His IQ is very high, but he is a slow worker (often becoming so interested he goes off on rabbit trails) and still struggles with executive functioning skills and time management.   He is very ambitious and has dreams of some day going to a competitive college.  He wants to do something involving science or math, but he isn't sure what.   I've been involving him in his high school planning, and he seems to think that he needs to take an AP class next year.    I am worried that he will be biting off more than he can chew by taking an AP class in 9th grade on top of his schedule.   

This is his planned class schedule for next year:

1) Pre-Calculus - Derek Owens (2 hours per day, but flexible with deadlines)

2) Honors Chemistry - Clover Valley (2+ hours per day?? not sure because some people are saying 5 per day! + 2 hour class meeting each week.)

3) CLRC Latin II (1 hour per day + 2 hour class commitment each week)

4) Literature and Composition - Integritas Academy (1 hour per day + 2 hour class commitment each week)

-----

I do not have any history or "social studies" planned for the year.  I was thinking of just getting him some American History books to read and maybe asking for a few term papers as output.    Something light with flexible deadlines.   

But, he wants to take an AP Gov't class through PAH.   I just am not sure if he realizes how much work that will be.   So what would you do if you were me?   Let him attempt the class?  Or persuade him to do something lighter?

I like how you are looking at the hours commitment each week for each class. That's wise.

You don't have a lot of "flex" in that schedule, though. I don't know about the specific AP course you mention, but I would not add an AP class to this schedule for a diligent but not fast-working student.

I have a student in 2 AP classes this year, and we've put more on the back burner than I would have preferred. Part of that is that she TYPES slowly. Seriously.

What Algebra 2 is your ds doing this year? Derek Owens PreCalc can be a very full course if dc doesn't go into it with some Trig under their belt.

I think I would believe every word about the time commitment for Clover Valley Honors Chem. If dc wants to add the AP course, maybe go in for the regular chem course?

Good luck- these types of questions have always been really helpful to me when I'm planning.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MamaSprout said:

I like how you are looking at the hours commitment each week for each class. That's wise.

You don't have a lot of "flex" in that schedule, though. I don't know about the specific AP course you mention, but I would not add an AP class to this schedule for a diligent but not fast-working student.

I have a student in 2 AP classes this year, and we've put more on the back burner than I would have preferred. Part of that is that she TYPES slowly. Seriously.

What Algebra 2 is your ds doing this year? Derek Owens PreCalc can be a very full course if dc doesn't go into it with some Trig under their belt.

I think I would believe every word about the time commitment for Clover Valley Honors Chem. If dc wants to add the AP course, maybe go in for the regular chem course?

Good luck- these types of questions have always been really helpful to me when I'm planning.

He has taken Algebra 2 with DO--so he has had some trig.  

So how does one decide between an AP Gov't and an Honors Chem class?  

• Like 1

Have you contacted the AP Government teacher to see what the time commitment is and see what their opinion is of an enthusiastic, smart 9th grader who is a slow worker is for their class?  Then see how that fits in with the other classes he is taking.  Are any reviews available for this class/instructor?  From what I've read, not all PAH classes are equal.

My boys are in 10th.  They are smart, fast workers, but not as motivated as I would like them to be.  I think it is awesome your son is so interested in his course selections!!!

Mine are in the regular Clover Valley Chemistry this year and are glad we went that route with the workload/hours required in honors chem  with 3 other honors classes this year.  They will be taking their 1st AP class next year (Modern World History).  Mine are taking Honors US Government and Politics this year (AP was not an option with our provider).  Chemistry and government have been their favorite subjects this year and both teachers are phenomenal. 

Good luck with whatever you and your son decide!

I think AP govt, micro and macro are some of the lighter AP’s and can be done in 9th grade.

If I were you- I will plan an AP govt class for him but will do it at home not with PAH- what I have experienced with PAH is that some of their courses are packed and it will add a lot of unnecessary pressure on your son. If you do it at home and feel like he can’t handle it, you can drop it without losing money.

You can also spread out the course work by having him start earlier with Derek Owens maybe in the summer, then the work load will be reduced when he needs to study hard for the AP exam in May. 

My daughter did precalc (Derek Owens) in 9thgrade, as well as AP US Gov. we did not use PAH though. Thinkwell was our curric (and I supplemented with many real world activities. It was a non-Covid election year 🙂 )I thought Thinkwell was good (she got a 5 on the exam), and did not come with the pressure of assignments that were due at specific times, so more flexible. Her other classes were physics, Chinese, and composition. She maintained a heavy sports schedule as well (competitive figure skating, ballet, and comp rock climbing.) Oh, and a heavy music schedule (piano and violin). All that to say, it may be fine. You know his multi tasking ability and drive. 

Edited by GoodGrief3
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Farrar said:

Right - like others are saying, AP US Gov't is not a crazy hard AP and can be a good first one. Just maybe pick one that isn't the hardest option in workload. But I agree with others that I wouldn't prioritize it for a kid interested in STEM.

For me, the bottom line is, when the choice is between AP govt and Honors Chem (per the framing of this “dilemma”), what advantage is it thought that taking AP govt would give? And what advantage does it have over taking a challenging class in the subject area one is (we are told) actually interested in?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stripe said:

For me, the bottom line is, when the choice is between AP govt and Honors Chem (per the framing of this “dilemma”), what advantage is it thought that taking AP govt would give? And what advantage does it have over taking a challenging class in the subject area one is (we are told) actually interested in?

I think it's doable to take both for the right kid. It's just not that hard of an AP if a kid is good at traditional school. It's one that's often done in a semester. And he doesn't have to prep for the exam if he chooses not to take it. For better or worse, having a lot of AP courses is an advantage - with or without the exam. It's just if it will detract too much from other classes that are more important. And also if trying to compete in the "I took AP classes!" lane is right for this kid - because it's essentially swimming upstream.

I would take Advanced Government through Online G3. Then, if he wants to study and sit for the AP exam, if he feels confident and has room in his schedule later in the year, he can. But, it won't look terrible if he doesn't sit for it because it isn't an official AP (but still says advanced, so you could assign honors credit/GPA points), and OG3 builds flexibility into the schedule.

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 1

It seems like lifetime ago because this kid is about to turn 23 yo- so no idea what has changed in that time. So FWIW- my oldest did AP Government with Thinkwell as a 9th grader and took the exam and got a 3. Now, I understand a 3 is not that impressive but this kid is not a good test taker. He actually got an A in Maya Inspektor's PAH AP English class, got a nice LOR from her and still didn't even manage a 3 on that exam. So, my kid who was not nearly as academic as you describe your ds to be, did AP Governement with Thinkwell as a 9th grader and passed the exam. We didn't do anything extra and I don't even recall helping him prep at all. So, based on my experience with that one kid and class (8 or 9 years ago)  I would say you could self study for that exam and do pretty well without a ton of work. 

We gave up on APs for this kid but he was very successful in college and has a great job now. In case anyone else reading this thread needs encouragement. 🙂

• Like 5