Menu

Quick! Dr. Hive, help! *UPDATE*

Excelsior! Academy

Update - I had him use chemical foot warmers and double up his socks.  He has color and feeling back in his foot. Unfortunately, this is looking more and more like Raynaud's.  I will contact his pediatrician this week and have him stay warm and keep me updated.  

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My 16 year old son has lost feeling in a few toes and they are white.  After googling, I'm thinking Raynaud's syndrome.  We are in the middle of a record breaking snowfall.  Do we need to head to the E.R?  Is this something that he can wait out, try warming up and head to an after hours type of clinic tomorrow?

Edited by Excelsior! Academy
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

has he been outside? exposed to cold temperatures?

you can call your nearest ER or consulting nurse with your insurance.

Yes, he took the trash out in his hole ridden mowing shoes.  Apparently this has been happening on and off all week and he is just now telling me about it.  

Advice from dd20, who has dealt with Raynauds since she was little: Space heater or hair dryer aimed directly at the affected extremity works the quickest, but leaves skin dry and chapped. Submerging the extremity in water all the way to the artery in the wrist or ankle is her preferred method for dealing with an attack. 

From one Raynauds mom to another: It is so very difficult to look at their hands and feet when this is happening, but once they know how to prevent and recover from (if necessary) an attack,  it can be  handled. If your son does wind up needing medication, please be sure that the MD is aware if his blood pressure runs low to begin with.  DD’s last rheumatologist (she has secondary Raynauds) put her on a beta blocker without looking at her history of orthostatic hypotension, and the poor kid passed out from low BP. Not a good experience. She doesn’t see that rheumatologist any longer.

• Thanks 1

I have Raynauds. It tends to be hormonal for me, I get it when pregnant, and now have it that I'm on birth control. Obviously, his is not hormonal, not sure why I mntiond that, lol. 

He needs to keep feet warm, but I also find that keeping or getting core temp up helps. Warning, it can HURT once the blood goes back! I kept trying to figure out recently why my big toes HURT when I'd take a bath - was I pressing them on the bathtub or what? Finally realized I'd submerged them in the hot water, and then let them float up so they chilled - the change in temperatures triggered it. If I take a less hot bath or carefully keep feet under the water I'm fine. 

And at least he will never breastfeed! I got raynauds in my n**ples when nursing! OUCH!

• Sad 1

Try also using a natural oil to massage feet and even legs with . Ayurveda uses sesame oil, but I think coconut, olive, jojoba, etc are all fine (peanut probably fine as long as no allergy, but would be smelly) . 

Low Vitamin D levels and some others along those lines may also increase Raynauds issues