Menu

Summer camp?

Calizzy

Yes.  My daughter did a couple of multi-week academic camps, 8 weeks in Paris, and 5 months in Beijing without knowing any of the other kids ahead of time.

Everything worked out great for her; she very much enjoyed the experiences.   She did make friends and I would have never described her as outgoing...

I say there’s no harm in trying if the experience is something your child wants!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ailaena said:

Yes.  My daughter did a couple of multi-week academic camps, 8 weeks in Paris, and 5 months in Beijing without knowing any of the other kids ahead of time.

Everything worked out great for her; she very much enjoyed the experiences.   She did make friends and I would have never described her as outgoing...

I say there’s no harm in trying if the experience is something your child wants!

What camps are those?  That sounds really cool. 

• Like 1

Yes.  While my kids usually went together, there were some camps that were more appropriate for one or the other.  My eldest did a week of residential camp in a college dorm (musical theater camp) when she was 11.  She has also done some short outdoor sleep-away camps on her own over the years.  She did fine.

Edited by SKL

DD attended several summer camps without knowing anyone. Many of the kids might have a sibling or cousin at the camp, but they would be in a different cabin; so they were not together all of the time.  I would think that most general-purpose, residential summer camps have a goal of kids all feeling included and meeting new friends.

7 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

What camps are those?  That sounds really cool. 

The two academic ones were CTY, Paris was with Choate Rosemary Hall, and the Beijing semester was with NSLI-Y which I SUPERHIGHLY recommend.  
https://www.nsliforyouth.org/
Free.  It was free.  They do summer, semester, and year-long programs in critical languages (and they obviously take homeschoolers!).

Boarding schools often have awesome summer programs and they were cheaper than average and offered financial aid (at the time).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Calizzy said:

Have you ever sent a child to summer camp where they didn't know anyone? I went a few times as a kid but it was always with my church group. 

Yes, all of my kids have been to week-long summer camps where they didn't know anyone.  They made new friends and discovered new interests.

I once heard a college counselor state that the kids who were most well-adjusted entering college were the ones who went to summer camp...

2 hours ago, Ailaena said:

The two academic ones were CTY, Paris was with Choate Rosemary Hall, and the Beijing semester was with NSLI-Y which I SUPERHIGHLY recommend.  
https://www.nsliforyouth.org/
Free.  It was free.  They do summer, semester, and year-long programs in critical languages (and they obviously take homeschoolers!).

Boarding schools often have awesome summer programs and they were cheaper than average and offered financial aid (at the time).

Wow, that is really cool.  Thank you.  I haven't ever heard of these.   I am sure the getting acceptance is hard, but it doesn't hurt to try.