Menu

PSA: Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher professional software on sale now for 50% off ($25 each).

Spy Car

I have praised these graphic software programs that compete with Adobe's Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign (respectively) on this forum many (many) times. They are unbelievably good programs at $50. 

If you (or a child) has a desire to learn/own a professional graphics suite--and doesn't want the burden of subscribing to expensive Adobe Creative Suite--I can't recommend these enough. 

Almost didn't post, as I don't want to seem "spammy," but I feel blessed to have such great software. 

These are not casual-user oriented programs. Great for serious learners/professionals who want deep tools.

An unbelievable bargain for the right person.

Bill

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7

I didn't realize it was on sale, but seconding this. Affinity has 90%+ of the functionality of the Adobe Suite equivalents. You don't have to pay over and over again so the cost is one time (remember when software worked like that!) and it's just really good software. My designer kid introduced me to them. They are great software. If you have a kid who might maybe be interested in graphic design or digital art down the line, I'd go ahead and buy it at that price.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Farrar said:

I didn't realize it was on sale, but seconding this. Affinity has 90%+ of the functionality of the Adobe Suite equivalents. You don't have to pay over and over again so the cost is one time (remember when software worked like that!) and it's just really good software. My designer kid introduced me to them. They are great software. If you have a kid who might maybe be interested in graphic design or digital art down the line, I'd go ahead and buy it at that price.

After I posted last night I discovered they also put all the plugins on their online store on sale for 50% off as well. So I purchased a set of brushes that I'd long lusted for Designer that allow one to easily make vintage engraving-like lines and stiples for $14 instead of $29 (math-err in my favor) that has the unfortunate name of "Grave Engraver." Played with it last night. Not disappointed.

The designer kid might want to take a look. Lots of plugins available.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/27/2021 at 7:05 PM, happi duck said:

On your original recommendation we went with Affinity and have been so happy with it!

I like these graphics programs. Firstly, that I can get them at an affordable price, and secondly because it's powerful and multifunctional tools. I don’t know if such software is used by professionals, but for me, as a beginner, it's just a godsend. Recently, I needed an ancient parchment background, and it was difficult for me to come up with some ideas on my own. Therefore, such sources are helpful in this regard.

Edited by BrianRameriz

2 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

Does anyone know how often this goes on sale?

I meant to get it awhile ago, but life happened!

In my experience with Affinity (from almost its inception) they have very regularly (a few times a year) put their programs on sale for $40 (from 50). Never has it been $25 until Covid.

I do think that at some point Affinity will launch a 2.0 version. I have used versions from free betas to present paying only once (in other words, all updates have been free). When they go to 2.0, I expect--from the way things like the Apple App Store work--that a 1.0 user will have to pay again. I've been using Photo for about 5 years. 

I don't know when they will be releasing 2.0 versions, or if the elements in the suite will roll out at the same time.

Bill  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, heartlikealion said:

Yeah, get it now. I am embarrassed to say I still don't know how to do something in Affinity and rely on GIMP (feathering). I am in an Affinity facebook group, but haven't taken the time to discuss it. I don't do well with written explanations so much as video demonstrations. 

In Affinity Photo make a "selection," then go above to the pulldown menu under "Select" and drop down to "Feather." There you can choose how many pixels are used for the feathering.

Bill

• Like 1