Menu

Too sunny deck - opinions on shade sails? Alternatives?

klmama

5 minutes ago, klmama said:

What do you think of shade sails for too-sunny decks?  Are they noisy?  Other drawbacks?

What would you choose as an alternative?

We have shade sails and love them.  We have three.  Getting them up and just right took some engineering on my husband's part.  We have only had them four to five months so I can't speak to the durability.  We have a wind tunnel in our backyard and they have held up so far. 

21 minutes ago, SanDiegoMom said:

We have shade sails and love them.  We have three.  Getting them up and just right took some engineering on my husband's part.  We have only had them four to five months so I can't speak to the durability.  We have a wind tunnel in our backyard and they have held up so far. 

Thanks!  Do they make noise when it's windy?  Our dog barks when she hears our flag, and it seems like sails might be even louder.  

39 minutes ago, klmama said:

Thanks!  Do they make noise when it's windy?  Our dog barks when she hears our flag, and it seems like sails might be even louder.  

Hmm.  They do make a little noise, but not a ton.  They are pretty tightly strung, so there's not much flap available.    

On our full sun deck, we've used a 13' square Colman popup canopy in previous years. the fabric couldn't stand up to the UV and has become brittle in places and tears easily.  I think the fabric is similar to the sails, though the sails are meant to be up longer than the pop-up shelters.  If you have the means to have good tension for all three support points - and high enough people won't hit their heads on any part of it, you should be ok.   I've also seen installations that used a couple sails going different directions that had some overlap.

This year, we're having a 20' square pavilion built.  it will be permanent with electricity, and spot lights.  there are a lot of companies that make nice DIY kits for a patio - on the east coast.   

We have shade sails, decent quality ones, and I think I'm lucky if I get three summers out of them. They are prone to poofing during wind events, and if we're expecting anything over 40mph, then I bring in the sails.  They also tend to drip water a bit during rain. 

If my money tree ever begins producing fruit, I'm going to build a proper roofed extension over part of our deck, complete with ceiling fan.

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We have shade sails, decent quality ones, and I think I'm lucky if I get three summers out of them. They are prone to poofing during wind events, and if we're expecting anything over 40mph, then I bring in the sails.  They also tend to drip water a bit during rain. 

If my money tree ever begins producing fruit, I'm going to build a proper roofed extension over part of our deck, complete with ceiling fan.

if you live in a hot area (may need to be more on the dry side) - the new thing is "misters".

44 minutes ago, MercyA said:

My in-laws used a retractable awning over their deck for many years, and it worked very well. Of course, this is only an option if your deck is up against your house.

My parents have always used umbrella tables. Cheap and functional, but not practical in high winds.

They hardly cover any territory.  Half the table would always still be in full sun. - with an 11'  umbrella.  we have two tables, though I think I can go ahead and sell one of them.

I'd previously thought about the sails - but I didn't have three points to attach them.

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

They hardly cover any territory.  Half the table would always still be in full sun. - with an 11'  umbrella.  we have two tables, though I think I can go ahead and sell one of them.

Yes. Two people, and you have to keep moving as the sun moves. 🙂