Menu

Knitting help needed...

OK, I know I've posted on this before, but I am a dummy. I can't find the best/easiest sock patterns. On the net I can find toe-up, toe-down, knit flat, etc, etc... but I simply don't know enough about them to pick which one is best for a novice! I've done my homework in the past month--

I've now made four, yes, four dishclothes of a variety of patterns--I can knit, purl, yarn over in a variety of ways, left twist, right twist, etc. So I'm a beginner, but now I have a variety of stitches down well in the flat.

Please, please, please think I am a very dull girl indeed, and give me some clear advice--which is the best sock pattern to start with? (I'll take it as read that this is just your opinion, etc). I've gotten so many ideas and links and I don't have the experience to choose. So all you advanced folks pick for me, and I'll start!

Here is what I have:

double ended needles sized 2

self-striping sock yarn

a small circular needle (9 inches?), sized 2

What I want:

to make socks, don't need to have a fancy pattern (plain flat socks are fine), using my double needles preferably--or the small circular one if I don't have to make 2 at once, which makes my head spin

I have no idea what size they will turn out, or how to gauge that, and at this point I'll make any sized socks for any sized person, as long as the pattern is simple.

Here's a simple pattern: http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/socksbasic.htm

Instead of doing the k2p2 rib all the way down the leg, I'd probably do about 15 rounds or so for the cuff in k2p2, then switch to plain knit until the sock is as tall as you want it to be, then go on to the heel and all. The pattern seems pretty basic. I started on a pattern similar to this one only with thicker yarn since I was a bit nervous about the skinny yarn.

Good luck!

After knitting not even a year, an acquaintance of mine (who also teaches knitting) suggested I try socks. I figured they were way out of my league at that point, but she gave a pattern from Yankee Knitter ("Classic Socks")that she starts her students on and I found it very easy to follow. I am whipping out socks all the time now! I like the pattern too because it gives variations for using larger needles (I use 5's) and heavier yarn (directions include instructions for fingering, sport, and worsted--I use worsted). I am not good at following patterns, but this one gave me no trouble at all; I highly recommend it. It is a great way to get familiar with doing all the basic "parts" of a sock!

Kay, you are on Raverly, correct? There are some great threads on beginner socks usually with links. Just go to the forums page and search for best basic sock patterns or some incarnation of that.

Also, regardless of which one you choose, I highly recommend watching clear videos of certain techniques, like how to turn a heel or how to pick up stitches. The videos of Knitting Help dot com were a life saver for me. And actually, still are. I have found great help using those videos.

I also have the book, Sensational Knitted Socks. Personally, I like it for beginning explanations. It was a great help to me. I simply chose a very simple ribbed cuff with stockinette foot for my first pair and followed the instructions in that book and used the Knitting Help videos.

I kind of think that top down is an easier technique to start with (for me it was). The construction was an easier thing to wrap my head around what I was doing and how it all came together.

Please let me know if I can be of help. This is a passion for me (obsession about knitting socks) so I am thrilled to possibly be able to help!

Okay, also, since you have self-striping yarn, you will likely want to do a plain stockinette all the way. Which yarn do you have? You can also do a search on Ravelry to see what others have made with that yarn to help you decide what to do. (I love that feature)

The book I mentioned has a nice chart for measuring the feet to help you decide how many to cast on and so forth.

...is the tube socks pattern in Kid's Knitting by Melanie Falick. It doesn't have a set heel, so it's a good chance to just get used to using those DPNs, etc. And it's got a pretty cute result!

It does call for thicker yarn and bigger needles than you have, which is a good way to start, actually, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't scale the pattern down to work with your yarn and needles, and just use those if you want.

...is the tube socks pattern in Kid's Knitting by Melanie Falick. It doesn't have a set heel, so it's a good chance to just get used to using those DPNs, etc. And it's got a pretty cute result!

It does call for thicker yarn and bigger needles than you have, which is a good way to start, actually, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't scale the pattern down to work with your yarn and needles, and just use those if you want.

:iagree:

Here's a simple pattern: http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/socksbasic.htm

Instead of doing the k2p2 rib all the way down the leg, I'd probably do about 15 rounds or so for the cuff in k2p2, then switch to plain knit until the sock is as tall as you want it to be, then go on to the heel and all. The pattern seems pretty basic. I started on a pattern similar to this one only with thicker yarn since I was a bit nervous about the skinny yarn.

Good luck!

Sounds good to me. And do think about using size 3s to begin with. Much easier.

Ria

Now that my youngest is in college and I am no longer homeschooling, I signed up for the Master Knitting Program from The Knitting Guild of America. A couple of weeks ago I got an actual job in a knitting shop. I'm a knitting instructor. Yippee!

Best and easiest free sock pattern is the Magic Stripes Sock pattern at http://www.lionbrand.com You have to sign up for free patterns, but it is no big deal. Help for turning heels, kitchener stitching the toe, etc is at http://www.knittinghelp.com There are lots of videos and they will take you step by step through every part of sockmaking.

Start out learning on double pointed needles. After the first pair, make your next pair on 2 circulars. A great book for this is Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles by Cat Bordhi. Bet your library has it. Stick to the magic stripes pattern, but use the two needles. Once you have mastered this, google "magic loop" and make a pair on one long circular needle. You will never look back and you will know every way to make a cuff down sock.

The best yarn for socks is *surprise* sock yarn. Real sock yarn has 20-25% nylon or polyester. This synthetic will add strength so the socks will wear much longer than if they were pure wool. Never use acrylic for socks. You will end up with holes after a few washings. If the acrylic is "sock yarn" with nylon in it, that is another story. My favorite sock yarn is merino wool with 20% nylon or poly. Berocco, Socks That Rock, Shibui--anything that is specifically spun with socks in mind.

Sporting goods stores or wintersilks.com sell silk sock liners pretty inexpensively. Invest in a pair of these to add years of life to your handmade socks.

Socks are my favorite thing to make. They are such a lovely portable project. Once you have done a few pairs, you won't even need a pattern and they will become effortless. Holler if you need me. :-) I don't check in here very often anymore, but it is nice to come back occasionally and still see topics I can relate to. :-)

Best and easiest free sock pattern is the Magic Stripes Sock pattern at http://www.lionbrand.com

This is the one I started with. It took me 3 tries (over a 5-year period!) to start. The metal dpn's were a challenge. But completing that first sock was quite a motivator and I finished the second sock in just a couple weeks. Now, I'm only on my 3rd pair but I'm using Knitpicks harmony needles and I love them. I can knit more loosely--was too tight before--without feeling like the needles will slide away.

I think what took me so long to finish that first sock is that they seem intimidating--so many new skills to learn. But once you turn that first heel you'll be so impressed with yourself you won't want to stop knitting socks!

Cinder

One thing to consider is to do the two needle method for socks rather than the double pointed needle thing. It's sooo much easier. I got a pattern from Kalamazoo knits which gives directions. My dd (16) makes socks all the time and just started a pair on a 40" needle doing two socks at a time.

Paula

Now that my youngest is in college and I am no longer homeschooling, I signed up for the Master Knitting Program from The Knitting Guild of America. A couple of weeks ago I got an actual job in a knitting shop. I'm a knitting instructor. Yippee!

Congrats! I am looking forward to when I can claim the same! :-)

I had to have my hand held from the very beginning to the very end to learn how to knit socks.

This DVD did the trick for me:

http://www.knittingkorner.com/dvdhowtoknitsocks.html

And I feel better having the DVD to refer to anytime I might need it after a long break... I love knitting socks, but it would be accurate to say I'm an insecure knitter. :tongue_smilie:

(Following the DVD directions produced the most wonderful 1st pair of socks that I wear all the time!)