Menu

Book a Week 2021 - BW2: 52 Books Bingo - Antihero

Robin M

I continued on with the Touchstone series and just finished Lab Rat One (Touchstone Book 2) by Andrea K Höst.

I enjoyed this book and look forward to continuing on. (I need to take a break though to read my next book group book.) If interested in this series, you need to start with the first book (which is happily free).

"In the months since Cassandra Devlin walked off Earth onto another planet, she has grappled with everything from making blankets to helping psychics battle the memories of monsters. Not able to find a way home, she has instead gained friends and a purpose. Unfortunately, that purpose brings with it the pressure of being more than a little valuable, and those she has befriended are also her guards, ordered to explore and control her abilities to find out just what it is a touchstone can do.

Test subject was not the career path Cass had been planning.

With no privacy, too-frequent injuries, and the painful knowledge that she must always be an assignment to her Setari companions, Cass can only wish for some semblance of normality and control.

And as her abilities become more and more dangerous, tests and training may be the only thing capable of protecting Cass from herself."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

I finished Sula. I’m not really sure what to say without writing an English essay, lol. And I don’t have a lot of time. I think Shadrack is the only person who saw the “real”, vulnerable, Sula. The internet says she’s an antihero because she brought the town together, but I felt like she was determined to live her life differently, and not afraid to show it.

Continuing with The Year 1000Alexander Hamilton, and New York, amd waiting to see what next week brings!

• Like 4

On 1/15/2021 at 5:12 AM, ladydusk said:

We're doing very well. Husband working from home which all of us love and just keep plugging away at AO.  I'm busy working for Pam Barnhill and kids are now mostly high schoolers, so ... there's a lot going on.  Nice to see you, too, Robin.  Are things well in your world? I was happy to see the thread continues on 🙂 ❤️ 

Awesome! Everything is well with my world and we are fortunate to own our business and have the community supporting us in a big way these past few months.  James graduated from homeschool high school and is happily spending his days writing and drawing art. He's still trying to figure out what he would like to do job wise. 

16 hours ago, Dicentra said:

I love the idea of sipping from books.  Every time I read that phrase, I smile. 🙂

Severus Snape is one of my favourite literary characters.  I'm not great at identifying literary devices or themes or character attributes (I had an abysmal English/writing/reading education in high school on top of the fact that my brain simply doesn't seem to be wired to "get" literature or poetry) but I know who/what I like and don't like. 🙂  When I went to look at the list of anti-heroes on Wikipedia, I recognized a fair number of characters from literature and film that I've liked over the years so I apparently have a thing for anti-heroes.  I think it's the depth and darkness that appeal to me.

I've still only finished one book for 2021 but I'm almost finished the Yrsa Sigurdardottir book and I've started on the final Fairacre book.  I've also made the decision last week to deactivate my Facebook account.  The amount of time I was spending on the endless scroll was ridiculous - there has to be a better use of my time than the dang endless scroll that just NEVER ENDS.  This last week has been a real eye-opener for me. I actually felt anxious when I wasn't logging in for the first 3 or 4 days which tells me that there was a bit of addiction to social media happening there. 😉 🙂 My attention span is getting longer (even just in a week!) and I have more time for serious reading, exercising, and other pursuits. I think I like the "non-FB me" better than the "FB me".

I probably should deactivate FB, however its a way to keep up with my dad and other members of the family.  I'll probably start unplugging more which what helps my attention span.  🙃

2 hours ago, mumto2 said:

I finished listening to Nora Robert’s latest The Awakening last night.  It was an enjoyable adventure into a realm of fame, dragons, and witches.  The ending was good which Nora is known for😉and I am looking forward to the next book.  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/49127421-the-awakening

Glad you are enjoying it.  Oh my gosh, To Sleep in a Sea of Stars.  I'm only on chapter five Madness but oh my goodness, the story is taking my breath away and the narrative is so well done.  The narrator was actually a little too fast for me, so slowed it down to .9x which is just perfect for me. I'll have to get the hard cover when my buying ban is over. This is one I want to read but glad decided to listen to it first. Wow, just wow. What a story.

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 4

A few more for the week. I'm beginning to realize how many hours I spend on the computer -- doing genealogy mostly -- but now it's twice as productive!

10. "The Virgin in the Ice" by Ellis Peters. Audible book. This was the very first Cadfael book I ever read, years ago, the one that got me hooked!

9. "Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs?" by Caitlin Doughty. Awesome questions and great answers!

8. "Law and Disorder: The Legendary Profiler's Relentless Pursuit of Justice" by John Doublas and Mark Olshaker. Audible book. These are mostly cases where they were able to prove the innocence of people already convicted. 

7. "The Leper of St. Giles" by Ellis Peters. Audible book.

6. "The Cases That Haunt Us" by John Douglas and Mark Olshaker. Audible book. 

5. "From Here to Eternity: Travelling the World to Find the Good Death" by Caitlin Doughty. 

4. "Not a Day Care: The Devastating Consequences of Abandoning Truth" by Dr. Everett Piper. Audible book. 

3. "The Innocence of Father Brown" by G.K. Chesterton. Audible book.

2. "St. Peter's Fair" by Ellis Peters. Audible book.

1. "The Mysterious Mr. Quin: A Harley Quin Collection" by Agatha Christie. Audible book.

• Like 4

On 1/10/2021 at 10:21 AM, Robin M said:

Who is your favorite anti-hero? 

I've been thinking about this question all week and I've finally decided: Loki.

We did a Harry Potter movie marathon last week, and while I really like Snape, I think Loki is my favorite anti-hero.

• Like 3

On 1/16/2021 at 5:32 PM, Kareni said:

Can you explain or provide a link, please?

Regards,

Kareni

There was a push notification on my kindle app to sign up for a reading challenge.  They have different “quests” to follow and earn book credits. There is a daily reading quest for January to unlock $5. 

• Like 1