Menu

Book idea for aspiring videographer/filmmaker?

Hyacinth

I’m buying a gift for a bright, creative young person (16 years old). Last year she was interested in writing and storytelling so I gave her a copy of Stephen King’s On Writing Well and she loved it. This year her interests have moved into filmmaking. She’s getting a video recorder with a bunch of accessories from her mom and I wanted to give her something complementary. Any book ideas? Or something else? Thanks, Hive!

Edited by Hyacinth
Added age
  • Like 1

This is what my visual artist daughter, with a relatively newfound interest in flimmaking, has requested.  Bong Joon Ho is the director she most admires, in part because he (apparently, and astoundingly) writes out directions frame by frame; and also because he draws his storyboards out himself, by hand, evincing the sort of multidisciplinary span and painstaking attention to detail to which Stella herself aspires.

[And, to those who admired Parasite for its technical prowess but long for something more family-friendly, try Okja. It is...indescribable.]

• Like 2

https://www.amazon.com/Filmmakers-Handbook-Comprehensive-Guide-Digital/dp/B01BITDM3S/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1I193YPTOQ6N&dchild=1&keywords=the+film+maker's+handbook&qid=1607486038&sprefix=the+film%2Caps%2C236&sr=8-4

This is one we got ds a couple of years ago, because I saw it recommended on so many booklists when I was searching for a good film book. He went through it thoroughly. However, he said it would depend on her age and level of proficiency, because it can be pretty technical and would be boring for someone who isn't ready for it.

• Like 3

You didn't mention age... But, if tlooking for late elementary/middle school age:
- Attack of the Killer Video Book: Tips & Tricks for Young Directors (Shulman/Krog)
Tricky Video (Klutz book by Cassidy) -- nice companion book  with basic "how to" for editing and different types of special effects

No personal experience but these look they are for that same age:
- How to Make a Movie in 10 Easy Lessons (Blofeld)
- Kids Guide to Movie Making (Frost)

This one looks like it has some good ideas for projects:
- Digital Filmmaking for Kids

ETA:
Also, I'll just mention that everything is going digital, and rather than a video recorder, the mom might look into getting a tablet, or even an I-phone especially to be used for filmmaking. While this thread ("Traditional Animation for Elementary") was specifically on animation, there are some links to other threads and resources on digital filmmaking.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

There's a podcast I listen to called ScriptNotes that started out for screenwriters, but as far as I can tell almost everyone in Hollywood listens to it now. They were creating some actual political changes in the industry just before the pandemic hit.  Recent episodes are free everywhere, but they also sell the old episodes or have a premium membership where she can listen to them all.

If I were young, a year's subscription to the premium episodes would be ideal.

On 12/8/2020 at 1:07 PM, Hyacinth said:

I’m buying a gift for a bright, creative young person. Last year she was interested in writing and storytelling so I gave her a copy of Stephen King’s On Writing Well and she loved it. This year her interests have moved into filmmaking. She’s getting a video recorder with a bunch of accessories from her mom and I wanted to give her something complementary. Any book ideas? Or something else? Thanks, Hive!

How old is she? My son had a book on making claymation videos (and some clay) and it kept him entertained for hours and hours