Menu

December Frugalistas 2020

mommyoffive

WASHINGTON—The House prepared to vote Monday on overriding President Trump’s veto of the annual defense policy bill, in a late flurry of congressional action that also includes the first test of the president’s call for $2,000 stimulus checks.

Mr. Trump signed a sweeping $900 billion pandemic-aid bill on Sunday night ending a standoff with Congress and paving the way for millions of Americans to get economic relief as the coronavirus surges across the country. In signing the bill, the president called on Congress to increase the size of direct payments to Americans, and said he wanted an investigation into alleged voter fraud and the repeal of a law concerning social-media companies.

Congress isn’t expected to heed many of the president’s demands, but Democrats did enthusiastically support Mr. Trump’s request to increase direct payments, an idea many Republicans have opposed. The House will vote Monday evening on the legislation to increase the checks to $2,000, up from $600 per adult and per child for individuals with adjusted gross incomes under $75,000. It is unclear if the Senate will take up the measure, which would add hundreds of billions of dollars to the aid package’s price tag.

House Set to Vote on $2,000 Checks and Vetoed Defense Bill (msn.com)

• Like 1

I doubt the $2000 has a chance of passing the Senate. I think the only way it has a chance is if Republicans vote together in order to look for for the georgia runoffs.

Either way, that vote won't delay distribution of the $600. What will happen if it passes and you've already gotten the $600 is you'll get another $1400. You won't get another $2000.

13 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Is it a good thing for your family?  I don't have any recent experience with the FASFA, so I am not sure if this is a good thing or not. 

It doesn't look like it changes much in actual Financial Aid, but it does make it easier to do. So, I'm all for that. Reading through the article closer, here's my summary:

Changing the name of Estimated Family Contribution is a good thing. I remember my naive little self back when oldest was about 10 years old, running the calculator and it coming out with $2000 EFC. Huh, I could do that, no problem. 8 years later, our EFC is close to what it was then, and DD's community college wasn't that cheap; UAH sure isn't. 

Easier to get independent status for students is also a good thing - now if student cannot locate parents or it would be harmful (such as drug dealing parents/etc), they can get independent status. 

They sheltered more income (allowed people to have more income to live on instead of it being eligible to give to the college). 

Unfortunately, it looks like multiple kids in college is treated differently and students will not get as much aid as before for being 2nd or 3rd kid in college at one time. 

Not sure about the Pell Grant changes. DD gets one (not the max, but a hefty one); I can't understand if it will lower or raise hers. But it is now available for incarcerated/felons; that's nice rehabilitation.

Edited by historically accurate
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, historically accurate said:

It doesn't look like it changes much in actual Financial Aid, but it does make it easier to do. So, I'm all for that. Reading through the article closer, here's my summary:

Changing the name of Estimated Family Contribution is a good thing. I remember my naive little self back when oldest was about 10 years old, running the calculator and it coming out with $2000 EFC. Huh, I could do that, no problem. 8 years later, our EFC is close to what it was then, and DD's community college wasn't that cheap; UAH sure isn't. 

Easier to get independent status for students is also a good thing - now if student cannot locate parents or it would be harmful (such as drug dealing parents/etc), they can get independent status. 

They sheltered more income (allowed people to have more income to live on instead of it being eligible to give to the college). 

Unfortunately, it looks like multiple kids in college is treated differently and students will not get as much aid as before for being 2nd or 3rd kid in college at one time. 

Not sure about the Pell Grant changes. DD gets one (not the max, but a hefty one); I can't understand if it will lower or raise hers. But it is now available for incarcerated/felons; that's nice rehabilitation.

That is what I thought too.  Really stinks if all my kids go to college.  They are all 2 years apart. 

• Like 1

Just now, mommyoffive said:

That is what I thought too.  Really stinks if all my kids go to college.  They are all 2 years apart. 

DD1 & DD2 probably will not be in college together - they're both freshmen now. But DD2 & DD3 are only 16ish months apart. So, yeah, that part is stupid. Double college costs is a lot to weather.

• Sad 1

UGH!

Gotta love American healthcare.

I just got a $410 bill for something that was supposed to be covered but the insurance is denying coverage for. So, I'm on the phone with the insurance company. 

This is why anything medical is so stressful. YOu never know what your bill will be. It shouldn't be that complicated.

• Sad 4

1 minute ago, Soror said:

UGH!

Gotta love American healthcare.

I just got a $410 bill for something that was supposed to be covered but the insurance is denying coverage for. So, I'm on the phone with the insurance company. 

This is why anything medical is so stressful. YOu never know what your bill will be. It shouldn't be that complicated.

YEP!!  It is so stressful.  Anytime you are sick or hurt, you just wonder how much it will cost if you go in and get checked out.  

• Like 3

So, I'm pet sitting for a friend who had to travel because her father died.  One of her dogs has extreme anxiety and can't be alone for more than a few hours or he will destroy everything.  Dh and I bent over backwards to make sure I  could be available for her because of the circumstances.  And while for an emergency  I don't charge close friends because caring for their animals is how I can be there for them best, she still always leaves money.  So, I'm getting paid $200 to spend two nights away from my family!  It is a mini vacation. 

Dh has his work cut out for him because this will be out 10 month old dd's first night without me.  Thankfully, if she really can't handle it and needs to nurse for comfort I am only 5 minutes away.  But these two days are going to be spent planning 2021 goals for myself, for finances, and for the school year.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

So, I'm pet sitting for a friend who had to travel because her father died.  One of her dogs has extreme anxiety and can't be alone for more than a few hours or he will destroy everything.  Dh and I bent over backwards to make sure I  could be available for her because of the circumstances.  And while for an emergency  I don't charge close friends because caring for their animals is how I can be there for them best, she still always leaves money.  So, I'm getting paid $200 to spend two nights away from my family!  It is a mini vacation. 

Dh has his work cut out for him because this will be out 10 month old dd's first night without me.  Thankfully, if she really can't handle it and needs to nurse for comfort I am only 5 minutes away.  But these two days are going to be spent planning 2021 goals for myself, for finances, and for the school year.

Enjoy your vaca, hope your little one does ok.

AFter 20+ minutes on hold my bill is supposed to be taken care of now but has to go through the review team. We'll see, I'll be holding my breath until that goes through.

• Like 3

House passes measure to increase stimulus checks to $2,000

The House of Representatives on Monday passed a measure to increase stimulus checks for Americans under a certain income level to $2,000 after President Donald Trump championed the effort.

The legislation, which passed with a 275-134 vote, comes a day after Trump signed a sweeping coronavirus relief bill into law Sunday evening. That measure, which was negotiated on a bipartisan basis, provides for $600 in direct payments, but after a deal was brokered and passed out of Congress, Trump railed against the amount as too low and called for $2,000 checks instead, prompting House Democrats to push for an increase.

House passes measure to increase stimulus checks to $2,000 - CNNPolitics

• Like 1

House passes measure to increase stimulus checks to $2,000

The House of Representatives on Monday passed a measure to increase stimulus checks for Americans under a certain income level to $2,000 after President Donald Trump championed the effort.

The legislation, which passed with a 275-134 vote, comes a day after Trump signed a sweeping coronavirus relief bill into law Sunday evening. That measure, which was negotiated on a bipartisan basis, provides for $600 in direct payments, but after a deal was brokered and passed out of Congress, Trump railed against the amount as too low and called for $2,000 checks instead, prompting House Democrats to push for an increase.

House passes measure to increase stimulus checks to $2,000 - CNNPolitics

with that many republicans voting against it there is almost zero chance enough will vote for it in the senate to pass it. we'll see

• Like 1

i went home to help dh with dinner since he actually took off work today because he isn't feeling well.   Normally, he could handle kids and household running without me no problem but with not feeling well and potentially not sleeping much tonight depending on how dd does, I figured this was the least I could do.  When I got home my 10 month old looked at me like she didn't even know I was gone.  Something tells me she is going to be fine tonight

• Like 3

Quote from the article linked above about the FAFSA changes: “Although the FAFSA will still collect information about the number of family members enrolled in college on at least a half-time basis at the same time as the applicant, the FAFSA will no longer divide the parent assessment by the number of family members in college. 

Similarly, the family contribution for independent students will no longer be divided by the number of family members in college.

This change will significantly reduce the amount of financial aid for middle- and high-income families who have multiple family members enrolled in college at the same time. It will not affect low-income applicants who already have a zero student aid index.

This change appears to be intentional and not due to an oversight.”

Oh no!  This is a massive change for large families!  We currently have the oldest five kids with only a 3.5 year span between them.  If we adopt our foster girls, that will be an incredible difference in cost. But at least we have some time to prepare.  The oldest of my sister’s five boys will be starting college in a year and a half, with the youngest only five and a half years younger.  That comes to a staggering change in price tag without much time to adjust.

• Sad 2

Got the refund for the package that showed up again after we already sent it back.  

Doing a grocery order

Going to pay property taxes sometime this week

Going to deposit more Christmas money and a refund check this week

We have gone through most of the christmas gifts and had everyone try things on to see about returning.  Thing is when you have 5 kids if the oldest got something and it doesn't fit them, one of the others grabs it and it usually fits someone else.  So not a ton to return, but still have some things to do.  

We did buy some after christmas on sale things.  Lights and beauty sets.  

We are getting some order from a company that we ordered from back in August, that messed up the order.  First we didn't get our order for months.  Then when we did it was wrong.  Now we haven't ordered anything from them, but we have a package coming on Tuesday??  I have no idea what it was. 

Some good deals on toys if you need that

50% Off Toy Clearance at Walgreens + Buy 4, Get 1 Free | Disney, LEGOs, & More - Hip2Save

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Condessa said:

Quote from the article linked above about the FAFSA changes: “Although the FAFSA will still collect information about the number of family members enrolled in college on at least a half-time basis at the same time as the applicant, the FAFSA will no longer divide the parent assessment by the number of family members in college. 

Similarly, the family contribution for independent students will no longer be divided by the number of family members in college.

This change will significantly reduce the amount of financial aid for middle- and high-income families who have multiple family members enrolled in college at the same time. It will not affect low-income applicants who already have a zero student aid index.

This change appears to be intentional and not due to an oversight.”

Oh no!  This is a massive change for large families!  We currently have the oldest five kids with only a 3.5 year span between them.  If we adopt our foster girls, that will be an incredible difference in cost. But at least we have some time to prepare.  The oldest of my sister’s five boys will be starting college in a year and a half, with the youngest only five and a half years younger.  That comes to a staggering change in price tag without much time to adjust.

That is horrible.  I don't get why they would do that?  

• Like 1

Paid property and real estate taxes today. I'm glad mommyoffive mentioned it, I've been waiting as I wanted to earn interest on my money as long as possible but it slipped my mind that this is the week I have to send it. Too much on my brain. Ultrasound and bloodwork today, I'll have to pay my 10% of those bills whenever they come in, usually they are pretty quick but I've never had an ultrasound and not done my bloodwork there before so I'm not sure. I'm expecting $100 or less for both (honestly more like $50 or less). 

eta: Working on paperwork. I need to return 3 things. 1 is from Amazon, so easy. The other is my shoes I have to pay shipping and the 3rd is a toy the kids got that isn't working just right and I'm having a hard time finding my order info, I thought I saved all of my Christmas orders, sigh.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Soror said:

Paid property and real estate taxes today. I'm glad mommyoffive mentioned it, I've been waiting as I wanted to earn interest on my money as long as possible but it slipped my mind that this is the week I have to send it. Too much on my brain. Ultrasound and bloodwork today, I'll have to pay my 10% of those bills whenever they come in, usually they are pretty quick but I've never had an ultrasound and not done my bloodwork there before so I'm not sure. I'm expecting $100 or less for both (honestly more like $50 or less). 

eta: Working on paperwork. I need to return 3 things. 1 is from Amazon, so easy. The other is my shoes I have to pay shipping and the 3rd is a toy the kids got that isn't working just right and I'm having a hard time finding my order info, I thought I saved all of my Christmas orders, sigh.

We are paying our property taxes today too.  🙂    What are real estate taxes? 

Sending good thoughts for your Ultrasound and bloodwork. 

Ugh on returning.  I like getting the money back, but sometimes it is such a pain. 

• Like 1

We are paying our property taxes today too.  🙂    What are real estate taxes? 

Sending good thoughts for your Ultrasound and bloodwork. 

Ugh on returning.  I like getting the money back, but sometimes it is such a pain. 

I'm so spoiled to Amazon returns, they are so easy. 

I can't even find record where I paid for dd's gift, I must be blind, I've looked through my CC statements twice now. I sent the website a message and am hoping they can find it.

Our taxes from the county are labeled as real estate for acreage and house and personal property for vehicles etc.

• Like 1

I got the explanation of benefits back from our primary insurance for my son's surgery and first hospital stay in November.  The amount billed by the hospital came to greater than the cost of our house.  And we haven't yet seen the bill for the second, longer hospital stay.  Our insurance covers everything after the very high deductible is met.  We are still waiting on the secondary insurance to see what our bill will be, but I am incredibly grateful that we have this high deductible insurance instead of better insurance that would leave us with a percentage to cover.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Condessa said:

I got the explanation of benefits back from our primary insurance for my son's surgery and first hospital stay in November.  The amount billed by the hospital came to greater than the cost of our house.  And we haven't yet seen the bill for the second, longer hospital stay.  Our insurance covers everything after the very high deductible is met.  We are still waiting on the secondary insurance to see what our bill will be, but I am incredibly grateful that we have this high deductible insurance instead of better insurance that would leave us with a percentage to cover.

Wow, what a relief. 

• Like 1

well dd did ok without me overnight.  She was restless but slept as long as she was snuggled up with dh.  She did wake up in the morning and fell off the bed, which was sad but no serious injury.  She was so incredibly happy to see me this morning but not super clingy after nursing a lot, which was nice.  IT gives me hope for the rest of the day and tonight. The kids are all at my brother's until around 7, I'll get them earlier if need be.

• Like 4

Sent that too soon.  

As far as planning for 2021 it is going great!  I've got the budget figured out, including this stimulus check and a conservative guess of our refund(all credits, not over payment.)

Tonight I plan the school year.  We start the year in jan.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, hjffkj said:

Sent that too soon.  

As far as planning for 2021 it is going great!  I've got the budget figured out, including this stimulus check and a conservative guess of our refund(all credits, not over payment.)

Tonight I plan the school year.  We start the year in jan.

Girl you are on it!   

Glad your dd had a good night.  You having some alone and down time is so wonderful. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Paid property taxes in full.

Deposited some Christmas money.  Have more to do. 

Returned some things.  About plus $900 ish.    Have more to do, but Kohls isn't in that direction.

Finally came up with some goals for 2021.  Honestly I have been horrible with any sort of goals this year.  Just coasting and not really thinking about anything and then spending a lot with the excuse of Covid.  Even though there isn't much I can plan out, I have a few goals to try and work on. 

Ordered oldest kiddo some shoes.  She told me what shoe size she is.  I thought she should go a half size bigger.  She would not go with the bigger size.  They come today and they are to small.  You have to pay to return them.  Well it isn't worth the cost of paying shipping back to get the return.  I guess we just store them and hope her little sisters will wear that size in the next 5 years or so.  😞   

Ordered some ballet gear getting ready for auditions.  Some were just needs of new shoes and tights.  My kids dance a lot of hours and go through shoes fast.  Plus 2 of my younger ones are moving up levels starting next month, which means a lot more hours.  $143.    This is after the kids got tons of dance gear for Christmas. Got some really good deals on stuff for ds there.  

Picked up grocery order. 

Oh got the order from the company that messed stuff up back in August.  Spent months waiting for our order.  Then when we finally got it, it was wrong.  They said keep it and sent us a whole new order.  Well now they just sent us another order?   But we didn't order anything.  This with the company last week sending us another item that we didn't order that was really expensive.  It just randomly showed up on our step. 

Then with a pickup order they gave us an extra item and just said to keep it.  

• Like 4

Now that the budget is set for the year I'm back to full blown frugal.  I have 4 kids bdays, plus a nephew/my godson, plus mil in the next two months so I try to get creative with their gifts to keep price tag down.

ds4 is getting roller skate ($1.99 from goodwill) and a goldfish( couple bucks)

ds8 is getting an icecream maker ($50 used for a really nice one that is only a few months old)

dd6 is getting a brand new ballet bag($0, my sister gave it, just a bag she liked and never ended up using) a beautiful dress ($2.99 goodwill) and some toy she wanted ($1.99 at goodwill)

nephew is getting a good pair of binoculars because he loves bird watching but somehow doesn't own a pair.($6.99 at goodwill)

mil, no idea!  But I've budgeted $50 for her.

I also started my gift stash for upcoming niece and nephew bdays.  Currently it only has a pokemon backpack I got at Goodwill for $3.99, which will likely go to my nephew who's bday is in June. I'm hoping to hit up Walmart for their discounted toys later this week but will only go if I can get there first thing in the morning on a week day.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Now that the budget is set for the year I'm back to full blown frugal.  I have 4 kids bdays, plus a nephew/my godson, plus mil in the next two months so I try to get creative with their gifts to keep price tag down.

ds4 is getting roller skate ($1.99 from goodwill) and a goldfish( couple bucks)

ds8 is getting an icecream maker ($50 used for a really nice one that is only a few months old)

dd6 is getting a brand new ballet bag($0, my sister gave it, just a bag she liked and never ended up using) a beautiful dress ($2.99 goodwill) and some toy she wanted ($1.99 at goodwill)

nephew is getting a good pair of binoculars because he loves bird watching but somehow doesn't own a pair.($6.99 at goodwill)

mil, no idea!  But I've budgeted $50 for her.

I also started my gift stash for upcoming niece and nephew bdays.  Currently it only has a pokemon backpack I got at Goodwill for $3.99, which will likely go to my nephew who's bday is in June. I'm hoping to hit up Walmart for their discounted toys later this week but will only go if I can get there first thing in the morning on a week day.

Don't know if these are  near you, but Target and Walgreens have sales on toys too. 

• Like 1

Today is pay day so I've been working on the budget. Car insurance is due in Jan (6 months) and dh wants to go ahead and pay for his college (it isn't due until March). We will also have another $500 or so of medical expenses, most of that will be on the FSA card for the year. I will have some oop from my bloodwork, ultrasound, and any leftover from the dentist from December.

Dh will have some book charges too but I don't know how much. We'll have some extra this month, question is how much, with so many unknowns I'm just making conservative guesses and hoping for the best. I don't think there are any other big maintenance things dh wants to work while on break but my brain is a little slow with too little sleep.

Tentative figures show with the extra this month we'll meet my first goal for efund and start to fill some of the smaller sinking funds. I'm doing savings snowballs 🙂 Filling funds the smallest to largest and then as more funds are free I can knock more out. Dh has another month before college starts back and he can get in lots of OT so I'm going to fill up all I can. He is paid 2 weeks behind and 2x a month so that means his checks until Mid-Feb will be bigger. Right now dh is working more than he wants but it is the midst of the busy season and he is a smart guy. I told him he has to be preparing them as once college starts he cannot continue to work so much.

Not so great news is my thyroid is low, that means more in med cost, labs, and visits as we tweak meds to get it back where it needs to be. I have a consult already scheduled for next week so hopefully I can start feeling better soon. Good news my gall bladder showed ok, so no surgery on the horizon.

And I met my income goal this month with teaching, $18 extra to be exact. After I pay estimated taxes I'll knock my vaca fund up to 25% with the leftover.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Soror said:

Today is pay day so I've been working on the budget. Car insurance is due in Jan (6 months) and dh wants to go ahead and pay for his college (it isn't due until March). We will also have another $500 or so of medical expenses, most of that will be on the FSA card for the year. I will have some oop from my bloodwork, ultrasound, and any leftover from the dentist from December.

Dh will have some book charges too but I don't know how much. We'll have some extra this month, question is how much, with so many unknowns I'm just making conservative guesses and hoping for the best. I don't think there are any other big maintenance things dh wants to work while on break but my brain is a little slow with too little sleep.

Tentative figures show with the extra this month we'll meet my first goal for efund and start to fill some of the smaller sinking funds. I'm doing savings snowballs 🙂 Filling funds the smallest to largest and then as more funds are free I can knock more out. Dh has another month before college starts back and he can get in lots of OT so I'm going to fill up all I can. He is paid 2 weeks behind and 2x a month so that means his checks until Mid-Feb will be bigger. Right now dh is working more than he wants but it is the midst of the busy season and he is a smart guy. I told him he has to be preparing them as once college starts he cannot continue to work so much.

Not so great news is my thyroid is low, that means more in med cost, labs, and visits as we tweak meds to get it back where it needs to be. I have a consult already scheduled for next week so hopefully I can start feeling better soon. Good news my gall bladder showed ok, so no surgery on the horizon.

And I met my income goal this month with teaching, $18 extra to be exact. After I pay estimated taxes I'll knock my vaca fund up to 25% with the leftover.

I am glad that you don't need any surgery.  I am sorry about your thyroid.  Hopefully you will be feeling better soon. 

Awesome on all the OT and hitting your work goal too.  Are you factoring in the stimulus payments in that too?  

I won't be working much on anything today.  Our neighbors are now letting their dogs out at 3:30 am and them bark and bark and bark.  So I think I got 3 hours of sleep last night.  I can't function on less than 8.  I know I go to bed really late, but I don't think I should have to do my life because of the neighbors.  It wakes up all my kids too.  We have 3 sound machines running on high, but it still is waking us all up.  I am so beyond pissed and I just can't believe how you could be a normal person and do that.  

Anyway dh is working on some financial things.  Some new goals that we just put on the list yesterday.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I am glad that you don't need any surgery.  I am sorry about your thyroid.  Hopefully you will be feeling better soon. 

Awesome on all the OT and hitting your work goal too.  Are you factoring in the stimulus payments in that too?  

I won't be working much on anything today.  Our neighbors are now letting their dogs out at 3:30 am and them bark and bark and bark.  So I think I got 3 hours of sleep last night.  I can't function on less than 8.  I know I go to bed really late, but I don't think I should have to do my life because of the neighbors.  It wakes up all my kids too.  We have 3 sound machines running on high, but it still is waking us all up.  I am so beyond pissed and I just can't believe how you could be a normal person and do that.  

Anyway dh is working on some financial things.  Some new goals that we just put on the list yesterday.  

Yes, stimulus too.

Sorry about the sleep, mine has been wonky too. I woke before 3 today. I go to bed early though since I usually get up at 4:30. Still not enough sleep but not as bad as 3 hrs. I would be very angry too, that is really inconsiderate. 

And dd no longer has the box for her toy, so I can't return it. Sigh. 

• Like 1

Passing something else on.  Target has the Prairie style dresses

These Prairie Dresses at Target Take Fashion Nostalgia to a Whole New Level - Hip2Save

We used to go to a living history museum all the time and my girls loved to dress up like this when we went.  

Good deal on petfood

HURRY! Up to 90% Off Pet Food & Accessories on Petsmart.com | Blue Buffalo Dog Food 36lb Bag Just $10.99 - Hip2Save

Edited by mommyoffive

29 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Dollar Tree sells peel and stick tile

Wall - Dollar Tree, Inc.

I didn't know this, so just passing it on.

We don't have a backsplash - it's just painted wallboard. I may get a pack to see what they look like in person. I saw the classic white subway tile in the link. 

Edit: I'm putting this on my house list. Not ready to make the commitment yet (even at $1.00 per). Paying off the hospital before anything else.

Edited by historically accurate
  • Like 1

Question for anyone who uses Crowdtap: Can I print out and save the Amazon gift card I just redeemed? I am thinking this would be a good base for my Christmas fund, but I don't know if I can keep them that long. If I put it into Amazon's page, it will get used up on Subscribe and Save long before Christmas rolls around. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

Question for anyone who uses Crowdtap: Can I print out and save the Amazon gift card I just redeemed? I am thinking this would be a good base for my Christmas fund, but I don't know if I can keep them that long. If I put it into Amazon's page, it will get used up on Subscribe and Save long before Christmas rolls around. 

I don't know if you can print them. You can choose to use them or not when you pay for things. I just told dh not to use them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Ugh, trying to figure out what is going on with our refi, but cannot get the person handling ours to get back to us.  I am sure it is because of the holidays.  

Probably, it is a terrible time of year to try and get things done. It will probably be Monday now.

Looks I'm going to urgent care today on a not so frugal note.

Planning frozen pizza for dinner, will have the girls make a pie, might pick up a couple other easy snacks. Don't expect I'll feel like cooking even if I'm home (hopefully). I wanted to do something big but I don't think I'll be up to it.

Earned another $5 giftcard put it on Amazon, now I have $8 with my $3 Fetch one, not sure what I'm saving up for now.

Dh is working today, some project, so that is doubletime plus holiday pay. I guess that can go for my medical visit today. He is planning on being home around 12 so he can go in with me. I hope that he can be there. I really don't want to be on my own.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Ugh, trying to figure out what is going on with our refi, but cannot get the person handling ours to get back to us.  I am sure it is because of the holidays.  

We struggled to get in touch with the person handling ours a bit when we did it in oct.  They are just so swamped with refis now and adding in the holidays.  Nothing is getting done.

We're still waiting to hear back from the adjuster for our claim but at least he gave me the heads up that because of the holidays it might not be this week.

• Like 1

I am so sorry, @Soror, about the trip to the doctor. Hope you feel better soon! I hope you hear from the loan officer soon, @mommyoffive

I got the dreaded annual letter from the mobile home park, our lot rent is increasing in April. The increase isn't horrid, but it's still enough to sting.

DH and I talked about 2021 financial goals last night while watching Escape to the Chateau. We want to chuck everything and buy a derelict chateau in the countryside of France haha. After we decided that that dream is not appropriate for two people who hate home repairs, we decided on some better goals for us. 1) DH and I really want to move South, but with middle DD's heat intolerance and us being MIL's only family close, we're here for the time being. So, our goal for that is about 5 years. 2) Fund a medical sinking fund. We use a FSA, but we overrun that every year. 3) I plan on making some cash this year. Probably just retail while I decide what I want to train/retrain in. Maybe McD's since they have tuition reimbursement and they're within walking distance to my house? Not that I know what I want to do, but it's time to figure it out as youngest DD is an 8th grader. 

Today was the 5th payday this month, which is always a nice bonus. Finished off the pet fund to get the cats their shots in January. Paid three months of auto insurance - wish they discounted it again this semi-annual bill. Paid tuition for 2nd semester of an online class. 

Going to make a grocery list today. I'll be taking DD to Alabama on Sunday/Monday, so I need some groceries for that as well as for when I come back and am isolating and DH/the kids are cooking.  I have to run to the library to get an audiobook today for the drive. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2