Menu

Book a Week 2020 - BW46: Bookish Birthdays and Notes

Robin M

@Robin M Some book I am contemplating for 2021.....

Anna Karenina

Count of Monte Cristo

Father Brown maybe.......Chesterton

Middlemarch

Harry Potter reread......it’s probably time 

Conon Doyle

CS Lewis........Screwtape Letters probably

Wilkie Collins........happily reread

Thomas Hardy ...... not sure which

to revisit DH Lawrence 

• Like 3

Happy birthday, Robin!

Thank you for the prompt to begin planning next year's reading. Thanks to this group I know one of my books will be another Haruki Murakami. I think I may tackle one of his larger books.

Weep with me, readers - our library has shut down due to two librarians testing positive for COVID. Our librarians have been wonderful this year with maintaining online programming and curbside pickup. I am certain scores of other librarians have done just as much. As of now, our only available resources are the online e-book apps (Libby and Overdrive). I'm good for a while as my TBR pile is extensive and my DGD has a series she wants me to read but my heart aches for the librarians, their families, and our community which has lost (hopefully temporarily) this precious resource.

Edited by The Accidental Coach
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, mumto2 said:

@Robin M Some book I am contemplating for 2021.....

Anna Karenina

Count of Monte Cristo

Father Brown maybe.......Chesterton

Middlemarch

Harry Potter reread......it’s probably time 

Conon Doyle

CS Lewis........Screwtape Letters probably

Wilkie Collins........happily reread

Thomas Hardy ...... not sure which

to revisit DH Lawrence 

These are on my 2021 list, too.

Probably The Space Trilogy for C.S. Lewis and I've never read Wilkie Collins (so not a reread for me).

I did well in 2020 in not re-reading anything* (except the Bible).  *I read some books in Spanish that I had previously read in English, but I am not counting those at re-reads.

There are a few books that I have been itching to re-read this year, so I'm not planning to go two years in a row with reading only new books.  However, I may re-visit the idea for 2022.  It has been a great way to clear out my TBR shelves.

• Like 5

Books I currently have in my stacks but haven't read which I've been meaning too

Middlemarch - George Eliot

Atlas Shrugged -Ayn Rand

Red and the Black - Stendhal

In the Shadow of Young Girls (Vol2 Insearch of lost time) - Proust

Count of Monte Cristo - Dumas

The Complete Father Brown - Chesterton

Plus a virtual copy of Zamyatin's We which is rather short. 

I know I won't get to all of them this year, but hopefully at least three 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mumto2 said:

@The Accidental CoachI will be following tradition and starting the year reading a Murakami.  I never finished my reread of 1q84 this year so plan to restart that one.  I am grateful my kindle will remember where I am after 10 month!  

Me too as I have Killing Commendatore in my stacks. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, The Accidental Coach said:

Weep with me, readers - our library has shut down due to two librarians testing positive for COVID. Our librarians have been wonderful this year with maintaining online programming and curbside pickup. I am certain scores of other librarians have done just as much. As of now, our only available resources are the online e-book apps (Libby and Overdrive). I'm good for a while as my TBR pile is extensive and my DGD has a series she wants me to read but my heart aches for the librarians, their families, and our community which has lost (hopefully temporarily) this precious resource.

Oh, no! I hope that the librarians will soon recover and that your library will be able to reopen. I would sorely miss my library were it to close again.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

On 11/18/2020 at 12:10 PM, Dreamergal said:

@Robin M Sorry about your DH's cast. Hope he feels better soon and the pain med helps.

One of my favorite historical fiction authors is Julia Quinn and one of her most enjoyable series is Bridgerton which is the story of eight siblings who are the children of a Viscount and are named from A-H. There is also a society gossip columnist called Lady Whistledown who is anonymous and rather notorious. A very enjoyable read. Now Netflix and Shonda Rhimes have come up with a series, with Lady Whistledown voiced by Julie Andrews.  Starts on Christmas Day, 2020

The Books

https://juliaquinn.com/series/bridgertons/

The trailer

Adding this author to my library wish list!

• Like 3