Menu

What’s your COVID risk tolerance score?

Ausmumof3

21 minutes ago, Garga said:

I took it, but my scores aren’t correct.

The only thing I would consider is the movie theater.  In the plane, the room is too tiny.  In a theater, the room is huge (compared to a plane.)

In a restaurant people take off their masks at the tables.

I would sit in a movie theater IF everyone was wearing masks and there were very few patrons.  But I know how that would actually work.  The second people would sit down, they’d pop off their masks.  Or at least as soon as the lights go out.  

If everyone would wear their stinkin’ masks, I might go to the movies (one of my all-time favorite activities—I went every week for 3 years before covid hit.) 

But since they won’t wear masks, it won’t actually work.  I answered the poll as if people were masking, but IRL, I know they won’t, so I won’t go to the theater.

That wasn't our experience.  From what we could see, everyone kept their masks on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

Theaters make me nervous, because it's not AT ALL obvious to me that distancing works in a theater. I guess it would depend on the air circulation and the filtration system, but I simply don't know enough about those to evaluate them. It's not like being outside... 

I agree, most theaters would make me nervous too.  But this one is MASSIVE in size.  I tried to find the seating capacity, but can't seem to find it.  Anyway, it's more like stadium space, with ceilings 6 stories high.  And only about 30 people when we were there...  So I felt comfortable with that.  (The movie was 20 minutes long.)

• Like 1

Zero here too. Other than my age, my risk factors are very low. It said I'm as much at risks as 41% of other respondents. Whatever than means. 

I have not eaten inside a restaurant since March 3rd. I remember the date because it was a book club meeting. Dh and I were scheduled to go out to dinner for our monthly date the following week but we decided against it as things were ramping up. I think it was sometime around late July that we finally  began to order curbside pickup. I just couldn't stand cooking anymore lol.

I have not been to a movie theater since last December, but I rarely go to the movies anyway.

As for flights, I didn't like the scenario. If it was something like an emergency situation regarding a family member or dear friend, I might have said yes. To go on an exciting excursion right now? No. 

My state is fully open but I have barely changed my behavior. I do go shopping at a grocery store that requires masks and where compliance is high. As late as last month I was still doing mainly curbside pickup or delivery. We are still keeping our bubble small and includes only a few outside family members, though we didn't start that until August. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

I’m at the point where I do I risk benefit analysis before I go to the doctor’s office, and they want to know if I’m willing to go to a movie!?!!  Dude, Netflix exists.  This is absurd. 

I've only recently started going to in-person doctor visits and those are limited. Up until a few weeks ago I only did e-health. No movies. Nope.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

Yeah zero but not helpful at all. 

I would fly for something necessary but not anything recreational. 

I feel no need to eat indoors at a restaurant.  I have done a patio twice but am pretty content getting takeout. 

I love movies and saw at least one a week before COVID but it's not worth it now ours are just opening.  They are serving snacks so masks are not staying on.  I did just learn that they are doing private showings for a pretty reasonable fee so I could see doing that for a special occasion. 

• Like 2

I got a 42. 

I would not go to a theater bc we can watch all the movies we want at home with no risk and way lower cost (and in jammies!). But we do go to church weekly, which has 225 people in a huge space (cathedral type sanctuary), so somewhat similar. Difference is church is way bigger space and is vitally important to my family's emotional and spiritual health. We'll zoom or livestream again if we have to, but not unless we have to. 

I would not eat inside at a restaurant now, though Dh and I did eat in a restaurant for our anniversary in May just as the restrictions we easing (inside only bc of a sudden rain storm). There were 5 couples , very far apart in a large space with windows opened and all staff were masked. We have eaten outside at restaurants several times and would do so again, with proper distancing of the tables, order ahead online etc.  We will get take-out in the winter. 

Airplane. Nope. My family is here. No reason to fly anywhere and we have not a penny to spare, even for a great deal. We drove for some vacation this summer and that was fine, though I would not choose to do so in the cold weather months. 

Agreeing with pp that other scenarios like in-person or hybrid school vs. all virtual , college students living on campus, non-emergency dental/medical appts, small social events, in-store shopping, religious services, weddings/funerals, etc. pose harder questions for some of us. All three of the options given in the quiz are essentially entertainment/wants and super easy to skip. 

42 minutes ago, Medicmom2.0 said:

Some of the local communities cancelled Halloween, so parents are throwing indoor parties for the kids. I don’t mean only the kids in their household; but their argument is that the kids see each other in school so why not have a party.  

I figured that was going to happen and has to be riskier than trick or treating, so I was honestly surprised that the communities cancelled.  We’re taking the kids trick or treating as our community hasn’t cancelled it.

My nephew got exposed to covid because he attended a parent-sponsored "homecoming dance" in someone's back yard.

I was shocked to learn these were happening after school sponsored events were cancelled but really shouldn't have been. Most people in this state do not take covid seriously.

People think we are being crazy careful because we have opted out of some activities and wear N95 or KN95 masks for those we do participate in. Sometimes my family are the only ones wearing masks.