Menu

What’s your COVID risk tolerance score?

Ausmumof3

1 minute ago, Katy said:

I got a 0.

Do you mind me asking did you choose no to all three activities?  I’m assuming that would produce a 0.  

If I was in the US that’s what I would have selected but from here with zero cases I have eaten out once officially since April and will be eating out again once in two weeks time for something that’s quite important to dh. 

• Like 1

I also got a zero. I said no to all the scenarios even though I've gone on a plane (with a layover) in August and doing a round trip this week to see my parents. I would not travel for fun right now (although I'm dying to!). We do take out at least once a week. I would love to rent a theatre to ourselves but won't because the HVAC is still interconnected 

• Like 4

We get takeout, but I don't trust restaurants.  We live in a high risk area and I have one child with a known high risk, and I'm high risk. 

The hospital I take one child to for regular appointments was turning away patients last week.

I actually think I've scaled back on precautions quite a bit.  In recent months I've:

• Used public restrooms 3 times.
  • Gotten takeout or fast food more than a dozen times.
  • Stopped Clorox wiping all my groceries and bleaching produce.  I don't think touch contact matters as much as air.
  • Like 7

I also got a zero. 

I would only fly right now in the event of some sort of life-and-death emergency.  Maybe the plane is totally safe, but one still has to get through the airport and security screening, which adds on time and proximity to others.

I could go my whole life without seeing a movie in-theater or eating in a restaurant, and I'd be fine. We got sandwiches once or twice and McDonald's fries twice, and that is the extent of our take-out for 7 months.  I don't miss it.   

• Like 1

I got a zero.

This didn't feel like it was separating the wheat from the chaff very well to me. I mean, at the start of the pandemic, I was very strict. Now I consider myself only a little strict. I go to stores any time I feel like it (masked, masking is good here). We don't worry about meeting other people on hikes (masking is good, but not always among bikers and joggers). I see friends outside, unmasked if we stay at a distance. I've not been willing to eat out, but I have now gotten ice cream out with friends several times and then gone to eat it outside at a park on on the street where it's uncrowded nearby. I've seen some outdoor patios that I would probably have been willing to eat out at... but overall have no been willing to take the dive and do it in part because it's too unpredictable overall.

But to me, the restaurant and the movie theater were gimmes. Why do those things? They're totally unnecessary to life. I have many ways to see people and see movies and get others to cook for me. Travel is different, but I responded to the scenario in the post. But if I needed to travel for, say, a family emergency or for financial/work reasons that were compelling, I would absolutely consider it at this point.

Anyway, within my own risk level, I know people who are doing less and people who are doing more... who all would have gotten a zero.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I got a zero.

This didn't feel like it was separating the wheat from the chaff very well to me. I mean, at the start of the pandemic, I was very strict. Now I consider myself only a little strict. I go to stores any time I feel like it (masked, masking is good here). We don't worry about meeting other people on hikes (masking is good, but not always among bikers and joggers). I see friends outside, unmasked if we stay at a distance. I've not been willing to eat out, but I have now gotten ice cream out with friends several times and then gone to eat it outside at a park on on the street where it's uncrowded nearby. I've seen some outdoor patios that I would probably have been willing to eat out at... but overall have no been willing to take the dive and do it in part because it's too unpredictable overall.

But to me, the restaurant and the movie theater were gimmes. Why do those things? They're totally unnecessary to life. I have many ways to see people and see movies and get others to cook for me. Travel is different, but I responded to the scenario in the post. But if I needed to travel for, say, a family emergency or for financial/work reasons that were compelling, I would absolutely consider it at this point.

Anyway, within my own risk level, I know people who are doing less and people who are doing more... who all would have gotten a zero.

Yes it was a bit general.  It seems to be really focussed on those areas where people’s risk aversion has a direct impact in the economy or more specifically on the industries hit hardest instead of the million other factors that make up our day to day decisions.

• Like 3

I also got a 0, lol. This forum is full of people who are being careful in the right way, I think... like, we've gone to doctors, we've gone to dentists, we've podded with family, we've gotten takeout... but we're still not going to go indoors for long periods of time! It seems like an unnecessary risk. 

• Like 2

LOL I got 100%.  I am not worried about myself being exposed.

I thought the survey would include risk tolerance that would affect at-risk people.

I assumed everyone else in the plane / theater / restaurant was there by choice and had decided they were low-risk also.

But for other reasons, I really do not want to go on a plane or into a theater when masks are required.  I feel pretty uncomfortable wearing a mask, so that would likely spoil the experience for me.  Nowadays, I am only doing those kinds of "fun things" to see my kids' performances / contests.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I got a zero.

All of this. These were not scenarios that provoked any kind of weighing of risks for me, they were all “nope, don’t see any need to do that.”  If they’d had weddings or funerals, or would you travel for work if a promotion hangs on it, or allowing kids to participate in recreational/social activities . . . things that are higher on the value side of the risk/value scale . . . it would have been a very different picture.

• Like 6

Zero here.

High risk with two high risk children and a high risk elder in home. And a high risk DH. Pretty much everyone I love is considered high risk if they contract it. Not due to lifestyle issues, but genetic things out of our control.  

I’ll do anything necessary - docs, dentists, visits to eye docs, shopping, having a contractor over for home repairs.  Social things necessary for a child’s mental health.  But no to movies, travel for pleasure, eating in a restaurant.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 2

"Your COVID-19 Risk Tolerance Score Is:

0.0 out of 100

You are as risk-tolerant as 42% of other readers who have responded so far and also had a score of 0. The median score is 6.0."

The questions would be more relevant if it was something like going for a dental cleaning, or annual medical checkup, or visiting a nearby sick relative. 

I don't really like indoor dining or indoor movies so I would have chose no anyway. I would have gone for a drive in movie.  I would fly if it is critical, as in someone dear needs me to be there. I just do not like enclosed places. 

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

"Your COVID-19 Risk Tolerance Score Is:

0.0 out of 100

You are as risk-tolerant as 42% of other readers who have responded so far and also had a score of 0. The median score is 6.0."

The questions would be more relevant if it was something like going for a dental cleaning, or annual medical checkup, or visiting a nearby sick relative. 

I don't really like indoor dining or indoor movies so I would have chose no anyway. I would have gone for a drive in movie.  I would fly if it is critical, as in someone dear needs me to be there. I just do not like enclosed places. 

Oh yes my score was 6.  So I just be average.  Although it would be a zero if I was in the US.

Huh, I got an 87.something.... Not sure I answered the questions right though - I would be willing to consider all the scenarios but actually haven't done any of them (other than eating outside at restaurants). But the main reason I don't travel right now for example isn't because I am worried about getting sick but because little is even possible/offered and I would feel guilty for possibly spreading the virus. And I would consider going to the movies but haven't been in like 4 years so don't think I am going to start right now. But I did take several 3-hour train journeys in the last couple of weeks that were kind of necessary (but maybe could have been avoided if I had to) and wasn't really worried.

But as I am getting older I have realized that I don't mind risk as much as many other people (which is surprising as I would never have considered myself like that) and neither I nor anyone I have much contact with is at increased risk for COVID-19.

I got a 49.  I said no outright to the theater, because that feels entirely frivolous.  I said yes to the airplane, and I know that if I had purchased a ticket for whatever this incredible opportunity way, I would not de-board as the airplane filled up, the decision would have already been made that I was comfortable with the airline's fill policy, so I allowed it to fill completely.  I said yes to restaurant, but only until it was about one third filled- that felt like a situation where not going in or getting up and leaving was very low-stakes, unlike having purchased an airplane ticket.  

I do not have a personal fear of covid, but I do fear transmitting it inadvertently to people in higher risk categories than myself.  I comply by all of Switzerland's recommendations and requirements without any eye-rolling or stomping of feet, because they feel reasonable and proportional.  

• Like 3

I got a 0, which is easily accurate for the 3 focus points, though dh has flown. Not for an “exciting opportunity” where he’s always wanted to visit, but flown nonetheless.

It’s not reflective of my ACTUAL real life risk tolerance, but I suppose that’s not what the researchers are interested in.

ETA: The questions about my “fears” annoyed me. I’m not fearful; I’m logical and not in any need of theaters, flights, or sit-down restaurant meals.

Edited by Carrie12345
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I got a zero, too. My choices are very similar to @Farrar‘s. I do certain things with fairly small risk, but I won’t go to a movie theatre or inside a restaurant because it is completely unnecessary. I have picked up curbside meals a couple of times and have eaten with a small group of friends outdoors once. I have hiked a lot, but wear a mask unless it’s empty. 

At present, I don’t want to do any air or long-drive travel unless it’s crucial, like if someone was dying. 

If this quiz had many more scenarios, I’m sure my risk tolerance would still be on the low end, but I don’t think a zero is very relavant to anyone unless they go nowhere at all and still are disinfecting their groceries. 

• Like 4

I got a really high risk score, a 66.7.

I flew in June, when we moved cross-country and otherwise I would have driven cross-country and stayed in probably 3 hotels.  

I wouldn’t fly to sight-see but I HAVE flown.  

I also was eating indoors when the local numbers were vastly lower.  I wouldn’t now.  Absolutely not.  I have just had a difficult set of conversations around not doing anything indoors at Thanksgiving.  We will stand outside and chat.  

But I HAVE eaten indoors, and didn’t really care how close we were.  

I haven’t been to a theater, but I would like to go.  If there was a movie I really wanted to see, I would want to go.  There has been no temptation.  But it would be hard to go and also be in a position to tell my high school son to take things seriously.  Overall I don’t think I could justify it.  For one thing — I don’t think there would be a way to stop people from pulling their mask down in the theater, nobody would know, nobody would enforce it.  

I feel like I got messages in the summer like — it’s okay, go ahead.  Now the numbers are bad and I get messages like — now don’t do the same things as before, now the numbers are bad.  

Edit:  dining indoors also seems less-safe to me with the changing information about aerosols floating around in indoor spaces.  I don’t know if I didn’t know that before, or just really wanted to eat indoors.  Now I feel like I have gotten way more messages of — indoors is problematic even if there is spacing.  

Also we went for late lunches on a weekday when we went.  It would not be crowded *at all.*  Now I would feel like — well, other people breathed and it’s still in the room.  I didn’t think like that in the summer.  

Edit:  still it is accurate to say I have a higher risk tolerance. 

I feel like we have just made some decisions to choose between:  continuing some things as part of our daily life. OR Thanksgiving and being able to see relatives inside.  We have chosen to continue some things, so now we have to be really strict with my relatives.  We are thinking we will be able to quarantine before Christmas.  It is a goal.  

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 1

I've been doing the "Covid budget" idea discussed here. None of these fall within my budget. I have a DD who needs to see doctors, therapists, and an orthodontist, at least two weekly. I have a DH who has to go into the office at least 2x per week. We all splurge on an in-person trip to the library weekly. I need to occasionally enter a store for a needed item. I have little covid risk interactons to spend on frivolous things. 

Plane rides were very, very few and far between for us in the Before Times. I can't see why I would need to get on a plane now unless my mother truly needed me in her area right this very moment. It's a toss up on whether flying for a few hours or driving 2-3 days would be better to get down there. But, we will not be going to visit for a while, so no need to get on a plane.

There is no need for me to go into a movie theater. I only did that about every 3 years prior to Covid, so it does not affect me at all. 

I miss restaurants as I am not a great cook, but my financial and Covid budgets are both better for my not using them. 

None of us are super high risk, although there is one who is medium high risk, and two with pre-existing conditions who may have trouble.

• Like 3

Zero but I think the quiz could have been more robust. 
We are attending a weekly indoor community class and agreed to the in person public school plan that starts soon. Dh and I are working essential jobs in person. However we are not seeing family and friends and it’s heartbreaking.

• Like 3

There are ONLY three questions. And all of the questions are generally ranked as high risk. Useless quiz, IMHO. 
Theater, plane, restaurant? 
Why not have questions about church? About indoor parties? About outdoor parties? About hiking? Going to the doctor? Going to the dentist? 

Or why not have options for each of those three scenarios - a sliding range where you indicate where you would be comfortable doing those activities? 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Zero here as well. I am higher risk because of asthma, but I am also an only child and feel responsible for my 70-something parents, both of whom are extremely high risk. Dd is also higher risk because of multiple underlying conditions. So yeah, I’m probably being far more cautious than most both here and IRL. But you know what? I’m ok with that. I’m doing what I have to do for my own family, and hopefully, by being as cautious as I am, I’m preventing spread for other at risk families too, so in my mind, it’s a win-win.

• Like 3

I didn't take the quiz, because it was clear immediately that I'd get a zero. None of those activities are things I need to do or would enjoy under present circumstances. I suspect the quiz is mostly geared towards figuring out how those industries can get people to return during the pandemic, so its developers weren't interested in how we all calculate risk in other situations.

I'm risk-averse. I'll do things there's a good reason to do, like doctor's appointments. Still debating about the dentist, though ours just finally decided to retire rather than reopen his practice. In the late summer, I started venturing into grocery stores again. But as cases are beginning to rise, I've told the family we're going back to grocery pickup. We get and enjoy takeout meals; I just wouldn't enjoy being in a restaurant now, so what's the point in incurring that risk?

If the developers wanted to gauge my risk tolerance, they'd include doctor, dentist, dd's favorite extracurricular activity, dorm life for elder dd (though we didn't have a real choice there), Airbnb vs hotel, etc.

Dh and I did go into a store to pick out a TV, something we haven't had in years, so there was that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got a fairly low score but I was surprised by how high the percentage was. Then I looked here and realized how many folks were getting 0. I said I'd go on an nearly-empty plane or eat in an empty restaurant, but I probably wouldn't really do either of those things because, as someone above pointed out, I wouldn't know how full the plane or restaurant was going to get.

I got 58%.   I don't consider myself a high risk taker  but I think my answers were skewed because I WILL take risks for some things.   I flew in April to go get my nephew to come live with us because my risk taking was less of a risk than him having to stay where he was.  So my plane answers were based on that and not on leisure flights.

We also do go out to eat right now.   We go about once per week.

And I go to work, in the building, with children, every day.   Short of quitting my job, I don't have much of a choice.

I haven't been to a theater but I tend to not go to theaters anyway.   And they didn't ask about church, which I don't attend right now.

12.4, 62nd percentile.

I answered based on my perception of the risk given specific occupancy and compliance with mask wearing, but my perception of real-life risk is different because A) I can't know ahead of time how many people will actually be in a theater or on a plane, and B) mask compliance is low in my area.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

Then again (apologies for the serial posting!) I haven't been on a plane in ten years, have only been in a movie theater once in the past decade, and don't eat out more than maybe four times per year so those aren't activities I would be engaging in much without a pandemic.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ashfern said:

I got 66.7%. I said that I won't fly at all but would go to the theater. We've been eating out since the restaurants reopened. The questions about doing something even if you're scared were pretty vague. It really depends on what that "something" is.

Very true.   And the questions about flights was vague......as I said, I had to fly in April and my son had to fly in July.   My 85 year old dad flew in July. 

But we wouldn't fly for leisure right now, partly because nothing is open! 😁

Also a zero. I've eaten out once since March, that was in July and the restaurant was not doing enough in my opinion, people seated too close together. We do get takeout/delivery 1-2 times per week. I have no need to fly right now and I'm not risking a theater visit - I think ours is closed right now anyway. 

14 minutes ago, Happymomof1 said:

Question, were everyone's charts filled in? Like they had a key of occupied but nothing was ever occupied on the survey. It was all wide open and blank. So I backed out to come ask if everyone's looked like that or if it was my browser.

If you answer yes to the initial question about an activity (so, yes when the theater seats appear empty) then it will show you a picture with a couple of seats occupied and ask if you would be OK with that level of occupancy. If you answer yes to that one it will show you a picture with a few more seats occupied, and so on.

• Like 2

I got a 0 because I wouldn't consider any of those things worth the risk. We have done three college visit tours, with masks, distancing, and small groups (2 families for a departmental visit and one tour, just our family for the other two campuses). We get takeout or delivery fairly often, but I have been in a store only a handful of times since March. I do teach in person, with masks, a face shield, social distancing, and HEPA/UVC air purifiers. 

We have seen friends socially outside only. 

The real choices are coming for all us zeros with things like small backyard parties... that move inside once the weather is colder. And with hanging out with friends... who then remove their masks and want to share food. Or with schools and colleges re-opening. I know so many people who are stuck about how to deal with that.

• Like 2

I took it, but my scores aren’t correct.

The only thing I would consider is the movie theater.  In the plane, the room is too tiny.  In a theater, the room is huge (compared to a plane.)

In a restaurant people take off their masks at the tables.

I would sit in a movie theater IF everyone was wearing masks and there were very few patrons.  But I know how that would actually work.  The second people would sit down, they’d pop off their masks.  Or at least as soon as the lights go out.  

If everyone would wear their stinkin’ masks, I might go to the movies (one of my all-time favorite activities—I went every week for 3 years before covid hit.) 

But since they won’t wear masks, it won’t actually work.  I answered the poll as if people were masking, but IRL, I know they won’t, so I won’t go to the theater.

2 hours ago, maize said:

12.4, 62nd percentile.

I answered based on my perception of the risk given specific occupancy and compliance with mask wearing, but my perception of real-life risk is different because A) I can't know ahead of time how many people will actually be in a theater or on a plane, and B) mask compliance is low in my area.

That's the thing. How am I supposed to know the theater will stay empty? Are all the other rooms in the movie theater empty, too? Did I have to stand in a line to get there? Did I have to stand in a security line to get onto the plane?? 

I might be overthinking it, but I can't model these scenarios at all. If an empty plane took off from right outside my building, I'd take it, lol... 

• Like 2

I got 22%.  We went to our first theater experience over the weekend, although it was a giant auditorium iMax theater, and there were only about 30 people in it.  Every family group was probably 50 feet apart from each other.  

We ate in a medium-sized indoor restaurant once, but only two tables were allowed indoors, one in one corner (one couple) and another in the other corner (us).

I haven't flown an airplane yet, but might if conditions felt very comfortable and spread out.  

9 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

That's the thing. How am I supposed to know the theater will stay empty? Are all the other rooms in the movie theater empty, too? Did I have to stand in a line to get there? Did I have to stand in a security line to get onto the plane?? 

I might be overthinking it, but I can't model these scenarios at all. If an empty plane took off from right outside my building, I'd take it, lol... 

We went to an iMax theater, and were able to see online how many seats were blocked off for social-distancing (the majority).  (We also know the museum/theater quite well and already knew the layout.)  When we went to a restaurant where only two tables out of about 25 were allowed occupancy, we actually only learned that when we called them up and inquired about how they handled it.  (They otherwise do everything take-out/pick-up now.)

• Like 1

Just now, J-rap said:

We went to an iMax theater, and were able to see online how many seats were blocked off for social-distancing (the majority).  (We also know the museum/theater quite well and already knew the layout.)  When we went to a restaurant where only two tables out of about 25 were allowed occupancy, we actually only learned that when we called them up and inquired about how they handled it.  (They otherwise do everything take-out/pick-up now.)

Theaters make me nervous, because it's not AT ALL obvious to me that distancing works in a theater. I guess it would depend on the air circulation and the filtration system, but I simply don't know enough about those to evaluate them. It's not like being outside... 

• Like 2