Menu

Orlando in early December

mom@shiloh

Our family will be spending a few days in Orlando in early December for a family reunion. Any suggestions for things to do with a large group that aren't too expensive?  We're more of a beach/hiking/natural beauty kind of family than a Disney/crowded places kind of family -- even before the virus, and now we definitely want to avoid that type of place.

The Orlando metro area is pretty spread out, and there's not a lot of "nature" in the immediate area. However, you do have some options if you are willing/able to commute  a bit.

I am a huge fan of some of the county and state parks. For example, in December, it might be cool enough to visit the manatees when they gather at Blue Springs. (Not right in Orlando, but definitely worth the drive.)

Also not in Orlando, proper, but a pleasant outing is Fort Christmas.  Similarly, in Kissimmee you could take a look at Pioneer Village.

If you can share a little more about generally where you will be based and what the make-up of your go up is (ages, interests, etc.), I will try to brainstorm more specific suggestions.

3 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

The Orlando metro area is pretty spread out, and there's not a lot of "nature" in the immediate area. However, you do have some options if you are willing/able to commute  a bit.

I am a huge fan of some of the county and state parks. For example, in December, it might be cool enough to visit the manatees when they gather at Blue Springs. (Not right in Orlando, but definitely worth the drive.)

Also not in Orlando, proper, but a pleasant outing is Fort Christmas.  Similarly, in Kissimmee you could take a look at Pioneer Village.

If you can share a little more about generally where you will be based and what the make-up of your go up is (ages, interests, etc.), I will try to brainstorm more specific suggestions.

I agree with all of the above. How far do you want to go from the Orlando area? If you go east you have Canaveral National Seashore, a truly unspoiled beach (there are no bathrooms either - just portable potties). It's beautiful and you can see the Kennedy Space Center off in the distance. Since it's a national park there's an entrance fee unless you have a parks pass. There are also nature walks on the way out to that beach as you'll be on the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge. Blackpoint Wildlife Drive is great and that time of year you should see all kinds of snowbirds that are migrating south. And you'll probably see the obligatory alligator sunning itself along the way. For more conventional beaches with places to eat and drink, try Cocoa Beach or Cape Canaveral, or you can go north to New Smyrna Beach. 

I'm unfamiliar with west coast Florida beaches but they're also not far in the other direction. St. Pete Beach is pretty and the only beach on that side of the state I've been to in recent years. The Tampa Aquarium is also a nice place to visit. 

You can probably find a bunch of nature places in the area if you check a site like Trip Advisor. 

ETA: If you decide to go to Brevard Co. for the wildlife refuge or beach you also might want to check out The Enchanted Forest Sanctuary. On the sidebar at that link you'll find a number of other sanctuaries/nature walks in the area.

Edited by Lady Florida.

Okay, here's another one that's not in Orlando, but would be about an hour's drive, depending on where you'll be based: Old Spanish Sugar Mill/De Leon Springs State Park. The park is pretty, and there is a guided eco-type boat tour (and boat rentals), but the main attraction is the restaurant where you cook your own pancakes on griddles built into the tables. It's a drive, but it makes for a nice day, especially if you don't try to go in the middle of the summer. 

The Apopka Wildlife Drive is pretty amazing - it is like hiking, but in the car, lol. If you are not from an area that has lots of wading birds (and even if you are) it is impressive - we say half a dozen blue herons, probably a dozen egrets, lots of alligators, all sorts of other birds, etc when we went. I've lived in Florida my whole life and I was amazed! It was really exciting. There is an audio tour you can pull up on your phone to learn more about the lake and its restoration - at one point it was one of the most polluted waterways in the country I think. They've done amazing work with it. It is open friday through sunday I think, and free. We went on a Friday and it took about an hour to drive though. Go potty first! there is a spot or two with portapottis whre you can stop, but otherwise, no actual bathrooms. Bring phones/cameras!

The manatees at Blue Springs are another good idea - you can check on the website first to be sure there are manatees there - they only come when it is cold. 

if you wanted to do a theme park that was cheaper, and more nature like and outside, Gatorland is actually pretty fun and not generally crowded, no rides, just a zoo for well, gators and such. Also has a bird rookerie. 

Ft. Christmas also sounds good. 

Air boat ride would be outdoors. Your party might fill most of the boat.

That time of year can you go up and see the manatees? 

Check but Universal might not be busy. WDW has been slow to recover and I think I read Universal was doing even worse. Or Sea World might be slow. 

The Disney water parks are reopening, or at least one is. If you're thick skinned, you could do them. We swim in Orlando in Jan so December might be fine. 

The Disney mini golf is VERY fun and not too expensive. They have a couple courses. You could spend a whole week doing just mini golf, maybe throw in some alligators.

Wycliffe Bible Translators has a whole museum, gift shop, lunch thing if you like religious. My friend did it and enjoyed it a LOT.

PS. Cruising will resume by then too if you like to live on the wild side. Everyone will be masked and tested. 

If you want to drive out to the coast, there's a nice little museum at Port Canaveral. You can drive the national park, eat lunch, fish, do the beach.

Edited by PeterPan

22 hours ago, Mama Geek said:

I don't know if it is out of your price range but Daytona Beach Zipline Adventure, or there is a ropes course somewhere down near Cocoa is you get to the Cape Canaveral area.  Some of the state parks also rent kayaks or canoes as another option.

The Brevard Zoo in Melbourne also has one.

Treetop Trek

9 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Air boat ride would be outdoors. Your party might fill most of the boat.

That time of year can you go up and see the manatees? 

Check but Universal might not be busy. WDW has been slow to recover and I think I read Universal was doing even worse. Or Sea World might be slow. 

The Disney water parks are reopening, or at least one is. If you're thick skinned, you could do them. We swim in Orlando in Jan so December might be fine. 

The Disney mini golf is VERY fun and not too expensive. They have a couple courses. You could spend a whole week doing just mini golf, maybe throw in some alligators.

Wycliffe Bible Translators has a whole museum, gift shop, lunch thing if you like religious. My friend did it and enjoyed it a LOT.

The last we heard a Disney water park reopening isn’t until March..........I hope they are reopening one sooner!  Did you see anew announcement?  Typically water parks here are only open on days when our temps are 70 and above.  My kids love to go in the winter because the lines are short!😉

8 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

The last we heard a Disney water park reopening isn’t until March..........I hope they are reopening one sooner!  Did you see anew announcement?  Typically water parks here are only open on days when our temps are 70 and above.  My kids love to go in the winter because the lines are short!😉

Ooo you're right, I hadn't looked closely enough to notice the date! Well see if the mini golf is open. Super fun. We did the Christmas themed one and it was adorable, cheesy. The music one is supposed to be harder, but your group is on the older side.

• Like 1